Heresy 1 crossover 0 (or O) (not E/1E1)

MeloManiac

Today I opened my Heresy I speakers, recently acquired, to check if they needed new caps. I will post pictures here later.

I was surprised that the crossover type is 'O' (a O or 0 imprinted in the metal plate), certainly not E. 

They have K in the serial nr, so the speakers date back to 1972.

The 2 pictures show the same cap in both speakers. One is in much better condition than the other. Both sound the same though. 

IMG_20191009_154103.jpg

IMG_20191009_153955.jpg

1 hour ago, carlthess40 said:

Those first two pics the cap looks like it’s leaking, replace them all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One was leaking and also the printing on it is impossible to read, so the metal is corroded I think.

What worries me is that critesspeakers.com does not even list Type C (for Heresy).

I know nothing about capacitors, so help would be greatly appreciated.

This is a German site lists Solen and Mundorf caps. What do I need?

https://www.hifisound.de/Do-it-yourself-Products/Frequence-Crossover-Parts/Capacitors/ 

Type E was a minor change from the previous crossover designation...I think it REALLY just amounted to changing the leads to one of the drivers to the opposite polarity on the crossover....so that it ended up TECHNICALLY becoming out of phase, but it performed better that way in testing and in listening...it is in one of the "Dope from Hope" issues.from back then as an announcement of a crossover change and re-designation for it.  For the Heresy I series, not a lot occurred crossover-wise or driver-wise after the designation of the Heresy model H700 came along, IIRC!   My memory is not what it used to be at age 66, though!  "Where is my  phone?  Oh, it is in my hand!" 😀

Hi ILI,

Type C is the right crossover for 1972.  Rebuild it as it is.  The next change was to Type D in 1974 and it was designed to be brighter.  I don't like it and have modified my similar Type Es back to Type C configuration. 

The original capacitors were paper and foil in oil motor-run caps.  They are tough to find in the correct sizes, but if you can find them, use them. Otherwise, I recommend film and foil caps.  I have been partial to Musicaps.  Solen metalized film caps are pretty good and are made in France, so you should be able find them easily. 

Solen also makes a poly film and foil that is reasonably priced. John, I believe Solen caps are manufactured in Ontario, Canada, and distributed out of St. Hubert (just outside of Montreal). They have a french language option on their website, so that might explain the misunderstanding.

Sonic Craft has good prices on AudioCap Theta film and foil caps, and I believe they ship internationally:

http://www.soniccraft.com/index.php/film-capacitors-audiocap-theta-c-301_33

42 minutes ago, MC39693 said:

@ILI another option is Jantzen capacitors, from Denmark part of the EU so should be easy access for you.  I've used Jantzen Z-Silver in E and E2 crossovers. They make a full lineup so pick your budget / price and off you go!  Enjoy.

I found Jantzen capacitors here: https://www.speakerland.nl/onderdelen/filteronderdelen/condensatoren/

There is a very big price difference between the entry caps and the high end caps (Alumen Z caps).

For the moment, I really like the laid back sound of my Heresy I speakers, so I'm not sure if I'm going to replace them. On this very moment I'm listening to an oboe-recording and the playback is very realistic - I know because my wife plays the oboe. I think I'm going to listen to them for a while as they are, and check the condition of the original caps regularly to see if they are leaking. If so I'm going to replace them. 

Thank you all for the input!

21 hours ago, MC39693 said:

@ILI another option is Jantzen capacitors, from Denmark part of the EU so should be easy access for you.  I've used Jantzen Z-Silver in E and E2 crossovers. They make a full lineup so pick your budget / price and off you go!  Enjoy.

Well... , I ordered these, just to have them/test if it makes any difference.

jantzen caps Crossover type C.PNG