Freestanding Mahl Tweeter

Dave A

I have been kicking this around for some time and will finally make a set of these to see how much trouble they are. Part of the holdup was a lack of a good accurate saw which would allow me to square off 2" thick lumber so I could stack and glue pieces without trouble. I am at that point now and will be making a set to take to Hope next week. I will be cutting the large Mahl shape into this and using the wood for the lens cavity. It will be the same exact shape and will have the back cutout so my clamp plate can be mounted in. Since it is free standing and restrictive cabinets wont stop the use of the larger lens shape plus the DE10 driver can also be used this is the way to go.

KS2362414602.41.jpg

• Like 7

On 10/9/2019 at 8:49 PM, Dave A said:

I have been kicking this around for some time and will finally make a set of these to see how much trouble they are. Part of the holdup was a lack of a good accurate saw which would allow me to square off 2" thick lumber so I could stack and glue pieces without trouble. I am at that point now and will be making a set to take to Hope next week. I will be cutting the large Mahl shape into this and using the wood for the lens cavity. It will be the same exact shape and will have the back cutout so my clamp plate can be mounted in. Since it is free standing and restrictive cabinets wont stop the use of the larger lens shape plus the DE10 driver can also be used this is the way to go.

Owners of Older LaScalas with a K400 horn, have reasonable "phase" alignment because the Mid Horn is within 1/4 wave of the Bass Horn. With this new tweeter, you can now have phase alignment between the Midrange and TWEETER too! Not only does this tweeter sound better overall, but for those hose hearing is sensitive to Phase, you never go back to the old mounting methods, guaranteed. This thing has my full endorsement!!!

• Like 3

" Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupidity! "  Does it work like garlic for Vampires does regarding MDF ? You know you all are not right don't you?

11 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Also, some may tell you that you can cut that tweeter height by 30-40%, thereby saving material. Subject to measurement and hearing, of course.

The height was predicated on feedback from some who made stands for their tweeters. They certainly have not been tested but they look really cool.

By the way regarding MDF. I have a picture to share tomorrow that may be disturbing to some and quite uplifting to others. I had to do a double take as we drove by this on the way to the Klipsch Secret Roy Delgado dungeon of audio doom. If it does not show up here look for it on the Cornwall thread.

1 hour ago, Dave A said:

" Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupidity! "  Does it work like garlic for Vampires does regarding MDF ? You know you all are not right don't you?

The height was predicated on feedback from some who made stands for their tweeters. They certainly have not been tested but they look really cool.

By the way regarding MDF. I have a picture to share tomorrow that may be disturbing to some and quite uplifting to others. I had to do a double take as we drove by this on the way to the Klipsch Secret Roy Delgado dungeon of audio doom. If it does not show up here look for it on the Cornwall thread.

There goes Dave A again spewing wisdom that many don't realize IS wisdom!  BTW, Dave thanks a bunch for helping me out on Thursday evening...I really appreciate it!

17 hours ago, Pete H said:

Those look fantastic!  I bet they would sound phenomenal if you made them out of premium MDF.  :lol:

Hmmmmmmm. Maybe he could do it for a slight discount, like $9, to the customer could afford to buy some paint to match the walls and make them "visually disappear" out of shame. LOL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1