Freestanding Mahl Tweeter

Dave A

I have been physically time aligning my Cornwall with Dave’s original walnut tweeter horn and a homemade baffle.  I agree with other comments. Once you hear the tweeter physically aligned with the midrange you would not want to go back.  The mid point of my tweeter is 5” from the top of the cabinet.  It is important to absorb reflections off the top of the cabinet.  I bought a 12 x12 absorption panel from guitar  center and cut in half to place in front of the tweeter to absorb the reflections.  I also needed to add some weight to the baffle to get the best sound.  Possibly this new tweeter horn would have enough weight to not have to do this but adding some weight to the top of this would be easy.

• Like 1

if you are impressed by the impact of aligning the tweeter with the mid then you will be amazed by the impact of aligning the mid to the woofer. one of the advantages of some of today's new wave guides Vs horns is that they do not have to be deep (long) and they can make for much easier time alignment.

• Like 1

I am going to come out with a line for magicians "Look watch this, put them in a bucket of water and they DISAPPEAR" I figure to sell many of them. Only problem is making an MDF tweeter facsimile and I have not got that down yet.

9 hours ago, Dave A said:

What is WAF? Is that Water Absorbant Factor?

Around here 'Walking Audio control Function'. That usually equates to a significant drop in volume until I confuse things by again by swapping around my amp/preamp, etc. setup. Getting to be that time again. 🎼

Should never have let her see how I turn things up or down. ;)

Wb

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/4/2019 at 6:44 PM, Thaddeus Smith said:

So what was the feedback/consensus on this during the trip to Hope?

Show and tell never happened but the few who did see it liked it. It was a lot of trouble to do and I have not made up my mind if I am interested in making more.

This was donated to the Klipsch museum with the instructions to auction it off and keep the funds. I have no idea what their plans are but it is theirs and might be the only set I do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 10/19/2019 at 7:34 AM, larryk said:

"It is important to absorb reflections off the top of the cabinet.  I bought a 12 x12 absorption panel from guitar  center and cut in half to place in front of the tweeter to absorb the reflections.  I also needed to add some weight to the baffle to get the best sound."

I doubt my ears are able to pick up any of the more subtle audio tones and frequencies generated by the LS-s, but I also had some concern about “reflected” sound when I located my HF drivers to the top of the cabinet, especially since I have glass toppers on them.  To address my concern, I cut my MAHL stands at a slight angle at the top where the lens mounts to allow for a slight upward tilt of the driver.  I also placed an ultra-mini “rock garden” in front of the stands rather than an acoustic mat to further break up any reflected sound waves off the tops of my ‘Scalas.  Does this all work?  Hard to say (see my opening sentence), but FWIW, the sound stage seems to be a bit “taller” with the tilted drivers, an effect I immediately appreciated.  Note: for time alignment purposes, my HF drivers sit closer to the midway point of the cabinet because of the shorter Fastrac squawker horns in my LS-s.

Thanks for reading - happy listening!

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

• Like 2

• Moderators
On 11/5/2019 at 9:40 PM, Dave A said:

Show and tell never happened but the few who did see it liked it. It was a lot of trouble to do and I have not made up my mind if I am interested in making more.

This was donated to the Klipsch museum with the instructions to auction it off and keep the funds. I have no idea what their plans are but it is theirs and might be the only set I do.

I will be getting with Dave on a few ideas I have for these.

It looks like we will be launching a major funraising campaign next month for a new construction project, and then we have Pilgrimage next quarter, a lot going on.

Travis 

• Like 1