Playing for Change... Coming Together

Marvel

Came across these videos by an organization called Playing for Change. A team goes around the world and records musicians doing a single song, and mixes the audio and video. Simply amazing, both in concept and execution.

This one, with Robbie Robertson from "The Band", doing The Weight. There are other famous and not famous musicians and singers on each song they do. I have trouble NOT listening to these.

Turn it up and enjoy.

Bruce

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Emile said:

OK; same "Playing for Change" with one of my all-time favorites ...

It's a rabbit hole... I can't stop listening to these.

"With my own hands" is great too.,  and "Word of Wonder/getup stand up" with Keith Richards... awesome.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Can't do that... really to much lag.

It's ok, it's perfectly normal to have a little lag at that age, just do the best you can. :o:lol:

Love watching the Playing for change  videos, when they first started they did not sell copies but I have noticed they do now. I would love to have a DVD with a bunch of them on it, I need to go look again it's been a while.

20 hours ago, babadono said:

that is not the musicians fault...make it so Mr. Engineer

It's interesting that most DAWs have delay compensation built in, so inserting a plugin/effect, everything gets adjusted automagically, so they stay in sync.

At 70 1/2 the IRS mandates a required minimum distribution (RMD) from my IRA/401K.  One option to avoid tax is having checks sent directly to qualifying charities.  Playing For Change will be getting a check from TDAmeritrade as part of my RMD.  

Thanks Bruce for reminding me of PFC.  I enjoyed Roger Ridley (RIP 2005) and Stand By Me years ago but had not yet enjoyed the other PFC videos.  These fantastic music videos remind me we’re all in this together despite the negative noise.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2019 at 5:14 AM, Marvel said:

Came across these videos by an organization called Playing for Change. A team goes around the world and records musicians doing a single song, and mixes the audio and video. Simply amazing, both in concept and execution.

This one, with Robbie Robertson from "The Band", doing The Weight. There are other famous and not famous musicians and singers on each song they do. I have trouble NOT listening to these.

Turn it up and enjoy.

Bruce

OMG. That is freaking incredible. Made me cry!

Happy Friday to you Bruce and to your Bride.  I’ve decided on the Godin A12 ... i need a 12-string that i can play as my other two are over 85 years old and were handmade by my grandpa and his brother. I’m hearing only good things about the A12, so i hope l like. I’ll buy it from Sweetwater as that is where i bought my Strat and they had great customer service. That will be my Christmas Present to myself. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

Happy Friday to you Bruce and to your Bride.  I’ve decided on the Godin A12 ... i need a 12-string that i can play as my other two are over 85 years old and were handmade by my grandpa and his brother. I’m hearing only good things about the A12, so i hope l like. I’ll buy it from Sweetwater as that is where i bought my Strat and they had great customer service. That will be my Christmas Present to myself. 

I used to have a nice Godin  LG P90. Very well made, beautiful finish. I'm sure you will like what you get. Pics when it arrives, Steve.

• Like 1

Roger Ridley seems to have been the inspiration for Playing For Change.  Unfortunately, the world lost a treasure on November 16, 2005 when he passed at 57.  Fortunately, PFC carries on.

Bruce, would you consider editing the subject line to alert members regarding the marvelous PFC?  I know it’s always fun to poke fun at Marty, @thebes, for his bizarre dislike of the Beatles, but PFC is too important to be hidden behind a joke.

That said, the occasional accordion seen in the PFC videos reminds of a comment I heard from a musician who described “perfect pitch” as tossing an accordion into a dumpster and hitting a banjo.  My apologies to banjo and accordion fanciers.  One thing the PFC videos demonstrate is that whatever the instrument it’s all music and it’s all good.