KSW 10 Subwoofer - auto on feature

mekabe remain

Hi,

I have a KSW 10 Sub. and it was working fine until recently. There was a change in our room and the sub was moved to another place without any information given to me.

I had to reconnect it to my receiver. I did not remember if it was in R or L/LFE connection so I just used the R

Then I set both volume and low pass freq buttons to medium.

Now the "auto on" feature is not working. 

In fact, if I plug the receiver when it is active, sub goes ON.

But then it does not turn off even after I turn of the receiver.

Sub is working ,  it supplies correct sound when it is on. However, it does not turn on/off.

What may be wrong ?

thanks.

It may be as simple as to what you are listening to and where the crossover is set. For example sometimes we will just play some music from one of the cable tv music channels, ours rarely engages. However when listening to CDs or internet radio through the Apple TV it is engaged all the time. Some sources may not be going as low as we think.

• Like 1

Most subwoofers will stay on for a period of time after the input signal is removed. With my subwoofer, it's 5 minutes.

Leaving the subwoofer on all the time will draw unnecessary idle current, raising your electric bill. Subwoofers using an "Auto On" feature go into a low powered "sleep" mode after that period of no use, drawing substantially less current. In my case it works out to 3 cents/month.

36 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Can you substantiate that?

Haha ... rough guess is that it draws 10 Watts when left "on" without a signal. That's 0.24KWatt/day ... at an average cost of say $0.10/kWh, that is about 2.4 CENTS per day or $8.76/year :)   Just skip one of your favorite Starbucks latte's (in a YEAR) and you'll break even :D 

2 hours ago, Emile said:

Haha ... rough guess is that it draws 10 Watts when left "on" without a signal. That's 0.24KWatt/day ... at an average cost of say $0.10/kWh, that is about 2.4 CENTS per day or $8.76/year :)   Just skip one of your favorite Starbucks latte's (in a YEAR) and you'll break even :D 

I'd wager it's the same draw whether on or auto.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2019 at 5:53 PM, CECAA850 said:

Ummmm. No.  Can you substantiate that?

I just measured the current draw on my subwoofer, an SVS-1000.

Since it is a recent vintage product, it consumes less power than older, non "Green" energy compliant products. Your subwoofer's power consumption numbers may vary.

The manual lists the sub consuming 0.5W while in the low powered, standby mode.

Shutting off the stereo, and prior to the sub going into this low powered mode, it consumes 22.8W.

So if the Auto-On/Off feature of the sub is not used, it will consume 22.8W while waiting for an input signal versus 0.5W in the Standby Mode.