LSI pair in PA

baron167

3 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

$2800?  Where do people come up with these prices?  I think it's all Dave's fault.

No way I told him $2,800 EACH. I said to him you need to start lifting weights so you can carry off all the loot in one trip.  At least he listened to part of what I said.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Dave A said:

No way I told him $2,800 EACH. I said to him you need to start lifting weights so you can carry off all the loot in one trip.  At least he listened to part of what I said.

Not you Dave, the other Dave.  But if you want to take the credit/blame, well then, so be it.....

36 minutes ago, baron167 said:

Seriously? They take twice the watts my consumer grade LS take. How much should they be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just because speakers are designed to HANDLE more power doesn't mean they NEED that much power.  Power-handling CAPABILITY specs are basically a CAVEAT!Sometimes, though, people just IGNORE the Caveat with dire results, like It seems there is a learning curve in this which has not been learned, yet.  The entire concept of efficient speakers is that they DO MORE with LESS POWER.  "Ask the historian" sometime about the time we sent the MCM 1900 systems up-state in Arkansas for the "Arkansas Jam", with the WARNING for them to wait until our people got there before hooking anything up!  Did they follow the instructions?? OF COURSE NOT!  They just thought..."Look at the SIZE of this stuff!!...some of y'all run way out in front of these about 300 yards and let's see how they sound from out there...we don't need for them Klipsch guys to show us how to hook them up!"  Can you imagine what FIVE THOUSAND WPC can do to those at FULL BLAST??  Better yet, I'll ask him, myself...this should be GOOD!  Needless to say, the "Arkansas Jam" event was NOT able to use its MCM systems for that event! And there wasn't enough time to build more before the event was scheduled to begin!  When those poor things arrived at the plant for repair you would NOT BELIEVE what they looked like!  But pics WERE TAKEN of them and the damage...HOPEFULLY Jim has some of those pics in the archives!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, baron167 said:

Seriously? They take twice the watts my consumer grade LS take. How much should they be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

Just because speakers are designed to handle more power doesn't mean they NEED that much power.  It seems there is a learning curve in this which has not bean learned, yet.  The entire concept of efficient speakers is that they DO MORE with LESS POWER.

Well, I thought that baron was possibly joking, but maybe not....

2 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Well, I thought that baron was possibly joking, but maybe not....

I certainly hope he is!  I've seen the results of too much power...to the point of serious fires and extremely loud "explosion-type" sound effects...as drivers disintegrated in the cabinets! 🤣

4 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

$2800?  Where do people come up with these prices?  I think it's all Dave's fault.

* Jim, you should know by now there is no accounting for the value one puts on their gear. Helll, these are steal compared to the 

JBL L100 Century’s in “mint” condition currently on US Audiomart = $20,000K 😲. Or maybe a typo —

1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

Not you Dave, the other Dave.  But if you want to take the credit/blame, well then, so be it.....

Oh I did not know whether you were talking to Dave 1, Dave 2 or Dave3.

1 hour ago, HDBRbuilder said:

Just because speakers are designed to HANDLE more power doesn't mean they NEED that much power.  Power-handling CAPABILITY specs are basically a CAVEAT!Sometimes, though, people just IGNORE the Caveat with dire results, like It seems there is a learning curve in this which has not been learned, yet.  The entire concept of efficient speakers is that they DO MORE with LESS POWER.  "Ask the historian" sometime about the time we sent the MCM 1900 systems up-state in Arkansas for the "Arkansas Jam", with the WARNING for them to wait until our people got there before hooking anything up!  Did they follow the instructions?? OF COURSE NOT!  They just thought..."Look at the SIZE of this stuff!!...some of y'all run way out in front of these about 300 yards and let's see how they sound from out there...we don't need for them Klipsch guys to show us how to hook them up!"  Can you imagine what FIVE THOUSAND WPC can do to those at FULL BLAST??  Better yet, I'll ask him, myself...this should be GOOD!  Needless to say, the "Arkansas Jam" event was NOT able to use its MCM systems for that event! And there wasn't enough time to build more before the event was scheduled to begin!  When those poor things arrived at the plant for repair you would NOT BELIEVE what they looked like!  But pics WERE TAKEN of them and the damage...HOPEFULLY Jim has some of those pics in the archives!

I had some LSI's that toured with the Oak Ridge Boys. Besides being beat up more than any I have ever seen one of them had serious char marks on the top of the slot inside the doghouse and going out into the back area. They must have pulled the power just before they started flaming. I don't have much regard for "professional" SLV guys. Those same geniuses after burning up some K-43's replaced them with woofers labeled "Taiwan".

• Thanks 1