No More Manual Stick Shift Cars?

Wolfbane

On 10/13/2019 at 1:43 PM, HDBRbuilder said:

Three-speed on the column...as my Father's 1964 Chevy step-side aged, whenever I WAS FORCED TO RESORT TO USING IT, I spent more and more time coasting to a stop on the side of road, and then getting the hood up and trying to get those DAMNED SHIFTER PLATES up on the driver side firewall back to where they were correctly aligned just to get anywhere while driving it!

I had a '66 Ford Econoline van with a straight six and three on the tree.

I'd be at an intersection, and the shifter linkage would hang up with no way to shift into first. I would have to get out of the van, reach through the grille, straighten the shifter linkage, then jump back in the van and be able to shift again. While everyone around myself was honking, wondering what on earth I was doing...it was a bit embarrassing...

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

There's a couple things I don't like about CVT's.  Aside from how they feel and respond, you can't work on them, at least not the ones I've dealt with.  Manufacturers don't sell parts for them so they're pretty much disposable units.  They're susceptible to heat issues in mountainous areas more so than a conventional automatic.  You also can't lock them in a particular gear, well, because there's no gears.  I also don't see the fuel savings aspect of them over a properly working automatic with a locking torque converter or a standard transmission.  The transmission is just one small part in the overall mpg scheme of things.  Weight, aerodynamics and the engine all have large parts to play in that equation.   My 6 speed standard transmission Cruze will do a legitimate 50mpg highway.  I get 40-42 on average going back and forth to work.

The beauty of them - now that they work properly, is that your RPMs are always at the correct point for the power and speed you are going. They have been in snow machines for years. That is pretty good fuel economy you are getting. I rented a Cruze last June, it was good. I was surprised by how little fuel I used between Ottawa and Toronto. My Jeep JK on the other hand...

30 minutes ago, YK Thom said:

They have been in snow machines for years.

Seems they're putting them in things like snow mobiles and small cars for some reason.  You would think that they could scale them up to go in larger vehicles but you just don't see them.  I've never heard of one in a truck, even a compact one.

• Like 1