What are your "Garbage in, Garbage out" experiences?

HDBRbuilder

I heard a song on the radio while driving the other day which reminded me of my first REALLY SERIOUS " Garbage-in/Garbage-out" eye-opening experience with my Heresys!  Towards the end of 1990, not too long after I had moved into my house in the Fort Smith, AR area, I was unpacking more of my stuff.  I had been listening to a "party tape" I had recorded years before on my my Teac A2340-R reel deck while unpacking stuff, but I needed a break.  I had just unpacked a box full of 45 RPM records , and thought to myself..."sit down, take a break, and play some old 45's for a bit!".  So I put the box on the couch and started going through what I had.

As I was looking thru them all to pick out some selections to get me up and going again, I ran across Irene Cara's "What a Feeling" which was the title song for the movie Flashdance!  I probably hadn't played it since many years before, but I liked that recording...or THOUGHT that I did, anyway!  I thought to myself..."this outta get you up and moving around and back to the task at hand!" so I put it on the turntable, reached down and cranked the receiver volume up to about "nine o'clock" (which is "MORE THAN ENOUGH VOLUME" with the Heresys, but nowhere near any problem for the amp section of the H/K 900+), pressed auto start on my Technics SL-1300, and went to the couch again!  Yes, it certainly got me back up off the couch and moving! 

But at one PARTICULAR point of the record, something happened which I never remembered happening before with that record!   What I heard through the Heresys REALLY FREAKED ME OUT!   For the first time EVER, I noticed the Heresy tweeters (for lack of a better word) were "WARBLING"!  That's a sure sign of the amp being pushed into clipping, so, I immediately ran over to the turn the volume down, then glanced at the tome controls which were set "flat" as usual!  That amp section had NEVER even APPROACHED even barely running into clipping at anywhere NEAR such a low volume setting before...so just WHAT was causing it?  So, I re-played the record at the even-more reduced volume, and deduced that it was JUST that particular point in the song where it had happened!

Since the Teac deck was still on, I just used its VU meters to see what the issue was with that recording...and played the record again...with my headphones on and the speakers off...and when it got to that particular point, the VU meters on the tape deck went all the way into the red and pegged at the extreme right for about two seconds!   I was really PIZZED OFF! because I could have ended up with speaker damage and/or amp section damage to my stuff due to some SOB in the recording booth who decided to "improve" the song while most likely in the act of mixing it down!!  NO, I was not angry at the speakers or the amp...but I WAS ANGRY with the IDIOT STICK who recorded that track!  Now a song I really liked before Klipsch, I was AFRAID to play AFTER Klipsch!  I had probably not even ever played it WITH Klipsch before, otherwise I would have already had this harrowing experience.  What did I have BEFORE the Klipsch Heresys?  JBL L36 Decades with all of the same upstream components!  Go figure!

This situation is good example of exactly WHY some people say they hate horn-loading...they never realized before hearing a favorite song/music track through horn-loaded speakers that the track was so poorly-recorded! 

Garbage-in/Garbage-out!  What is YOUR eye-opening experience with this?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, HDBRbuilder said:

Garbage-in/Garbage-out!  What is YOUR eye-opening experience with this?

The, so far, the bane of my upgraded 1982 Belles, as well as my previous 1979 Cornwalls, was the song 'April in Paris' on the Jass Masters 24 CD. Especially at the 4:20, 5:00 and 6:10 mark(s) of this six minute 30 second recording by Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong. Note Ella's voice sounds like an angel's. It's Louis horn when he hits some really high notes that make the speakers screech.

I have a lot of both artists music and it is just this one song on this recording that Klipsch speakers can't abide. I don't know if someone fell asleep in the studio while re-mastering this or if I just got a crap one-off copy.

Wb