Are both of these K-43-e?

cyto

I bought the 1981 La Scalas about 5 years ago. I knew one had a woofer replaced. You can see in the photo it is a K-43E. The other speaker's woofer does not have a model number on it.

Is it a K-43E also, or a K-33E?

Thanks,

David

K-43-elowrez.jpg

wooferloerez.jpg

From what I can tell...they APPEAR to be identical...and both are Klipsch parts, except one has no VISIBLE sign of its model designation...and based upon the Klipsch logos applied to each of them, the "un-marked one is obviously the NEWER of the two, from what I can tell, but just never had its model number stamped on it....maybe that is because it is a replacement that was shipped out with not ever having been stamped.  It happens...front views would confirm/deny my suspicion, though.

• Like 1

Actually, if you want the BEST performance from those LaScalas, and DO NOT intend to drive them with unGawdly amounts of power, you are better-off having K-33's in both of them!  The trade-off for higher-power-handling capabilities for the K43 is not really worth its slight drop in performance if you don't really need that higher-power-handling capability!  Besides, it takes very little power to push LaScalas quite well!...they come into their own threshold-wise at well-under 50 WPC with K-33's in them!   To me, just having 200 wpc available is already over-kill...100 QUALITY wpc  is more than enough!  IMHO!  I mean there are lots of folks out there using H/K 430's for LaScalas and loving it...and they are only rated (conservatively!) at 25 wpc!  If you don't need a car with 500 hp, then why not buy one with less available hp?...and save some money?  I have run LaScalas regularly with just 32 wpc available and they performed great!  Hell, I have run them at the river for parties and get togethers with just a 5 wpc under-dash cassette deck and they did great!  LOL!  LaScalas are probably the best patio-party speakers Klipsch has ever made!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

Actually, if you want the BEST performance from those LaScalas, and DO NOT intend to drive them with unGawdly amounts of power, you are better-off having K-33's in both of them!  The trade-off for higher-power-handling capabilities for the K43 is not really worth its slight drop in performance if you don't really need that higher-power-handling capability!  Besides, it takes very little power to push LaScalas quite well!...they come into their own threshold-wise at well-under 50 WPC with K-33's in them!   To me, just having 200 wpc available is already over-kill...100 QUALITY wpc  is more than enough!  IMHO!  I mean there are lots of folks out there using H/K 430's for LaScalas and loving it...and they are only rated (conservatively!) at 25 wpc!  If you don't need a car with 500 hp, then why not buy one with less available hp?...and save some money?  I have run LaScalas regularly with just 32 wpc available and they performed great!  Hell, I have run them at the river for parties and get togethers with just a 5 wpc under-dash cassette deck and they did great!  LOL!  LaScalas are probably the best patio-party speakers Klipsch has ever made!

Gotta disagree with you on this one. The K-43's are more musical and wont go as low and the K-33's. You want a little more bass get 33's and if you like better mid range sound stay with the 43's

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Take a small mirror and look on the bottom side of the magnet.  I'll bet it's a 33.

That's a really big magnet for a 33. I think it's a 43.

19 minutes ago, Dave A said:

Gotta disagree with you on this one. The K-43's are more musical and wont go as low and the K-33's. You want a little more bass get 33's and if you like better mid range sound stay with the 43's

I'll bet you a martini that' it's a 33.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave A said:

That's what I really SHOULD have said!  Thanks! 

I think it is a 43, too!  And it is DEFINITELY what was sent for the replacement woofer!  The original would not have had that particular "later logo sticker" on it!  Those were built while I still worked there...that logo sticker was not yet in use at the time!

When i posted these pix I had already closed the dog houses. I did a re-wire and noticed the woofers, the one that was not marked on the back i did not have to remove to solder new wires on, so I didn't.

The other I had to take out, and of course it is a replacement as indicated by the R on the magnet. It looks to me like someone did some work on the dust cap (see photo) maybe the voice coil was replaced??  This pic is of the K-43.

I bought these from a skating rink (5 years ago) that went out of business and I know the guy replaced blown drivers from time to time. Considering the application I would have thought that they would be K-43 but who knows.

This is going to bug the crap out of me until I open them up again. They are so heavy I have a very hard time flipping them over.

K-43 cone.jpg