Forte 3

Grimtano

To all-

Back 32 years ago a had a pair of Heresy's and they were awesome!!! Now, I just bought the Forte 3's, but wanted to get some advice on integrated amp.  I do mostly iPhone streaming and some CD.  I hear Rotel goes well with Klipsch from ABT Electronics, but these guys are trying to put me in B&W 700 series.  No a really fan of the sound, plus they cost $400. And you cant hear the Fote's at ABT, but you can buy them. Can anyone recommend and amp....sadly my budget for this is $2000.  I'm a novice, but a huge Klipsch fan so love any suggestions.  I like all types of music.  

Thanks so much!! 

• Like 1

Welcome aboard, I run Rotel amps with 2 of my rigs, Forte I & Chorus II, and am happy with the synergy between these companies. Rotel and B&W fall under the same corporate umbrella and that is why you see them paired together. There are plenty of high quality amps in your price range, see what you can audition.  Personally I have had success pairing my various Klipsch speakers with Rotel, McIntosh & Sony ES amps. Good luck and keep us posted.

I've had some rotel gear that I really liked. I am running Parasound gear now on my khorns. Parasound was recommended to me to match with klipsch because klipsch speakers tend to be bright. Parasound is supposed to be more laid back compared to some other brands.

On 10/14/2019 at 12:06 PM, Grimtano said:

I just bought the Forte 3's

Congrats and welcome to the forum.  $2000 should buy you a GREAT amp.  Have no recommendations as my amps are much cheaper :)  But, you may want to look at a vintage McIntosh MC75.

Cheers, Emile

Thanks so much for all the advice.  I've been living with a Bose LifeStyle system...it's repulsive.  I can't believe how little I know when started researching, feel like the boy in the bubble. Exposed newbie for sure.  If I'm mostly using iPhone, do I need to buy any extra equipment if amp says DAC or Bluetooth? Very nice gentleman offered a deal on Parasound Halo Hint 6...I mean a very good deal.  Would there be any extra equipment or just need amp speaker and iPhone....Of course cable, but think you know what I mean.  Also Rotel 1572 has a button called BT...does that mean Bluetooth, so just sync w/iPhone and done? ABT Electronic said I would lose sound quality using just iPhone.  Is this true? Can't thank you all enough.  

You might contact Cory @MetropolisLakeOutfitters. He is an authorized dealer, and can offer input and pricing not only re: Forte 3, but also amp suggestions. I think he recommends the Parasound you mention. While not an integrated amp, I have F3 that are pulling home theater + 2 channel, with a Marantz SR6012  AVR. I have no complaints. I've run a mix of vinyl, CD's, and sometimes digital music, in addition to movies/TV. The digital music is either ran through the USB port on the front (FLAC files) with flash drives, or from FLAC files on my phone over Wi-Fi. It works pretty well. I think one of the Rotel's has a USB  port in the front. Not sure about Bluetooth, but I'm fairly certain Rotel is now owned by B&W, hence the push for matching those 2 together. Good luck.

The dealer is obviously going to recommend whatever line he carries.  If you are only listening to 2 channel, and with your budget, you can do better with a restored tube amplifier or receiver such as a Fisher 400/500, or HH Scott amp/integrated.  Personally, what I would also recommend is that you upgrade your source from an iPhone.

Congrats on Forte III’s!  Mine are doing  home theater / two channel double duty as well. Denon x4300 with it acting as preamp for Parasound A23.  Now even the less pricier Denons have Heos, their version of distributed audio to compete with Sonos. While I initially used it for that, I now find myself using it for its ability to access a variety of music online including the recent addition of Amazon Music HD. It does Spotify, Tidal, etc which I don’t use.  I now for first time have CD quality and beyond with millions of songs on tap, searchable and controllable via my iphone. Way better  than Bluetooth or Airplay from phone, although I can do that too. 

For whatever my newbie experience is worth...

I would take a hard look at a used Pioneer THX (Ultra 2) Certified Receiver,

the characteristics are certified in a THX test lab.

These units have high-end built in DACs, Tuners, and excellent performance.

Just the DAC in these is worth $500.

Try to find  a unit with Pre outs, Tosslinks and Coax, Remote and Microphone

A good mic can be scored on Parts express if needed or other

The Amp sections will be either AB or newer units Class D

- All of the manuals are downloadable from the Pioneer site or HIFi Engine

- I would connect sources via Tosslink using Glass not plastic for electrical isolation

- Plug all units into the same power supply to avoid ground loops

- The Receiver has enough inputs for all of your sources, lots of them

- Any good aftermarket remote will support the features on the Pioneer Elites

- Some of the Receivers also have a good Phono input

If you want to use the unit as a PreAmp, + DAC,  EQ, Room correction unit in any combination

You can add a 2 Channel Amp later with world-class specs and performance like the Yamaha MX series

the MX 600, 630, 800, 830, 1000 units can be had for a few hundred and sound great compared to anything at any price.

MX-600 sold for $160 ebay, if you like the sound worth replacing the Capacitors, then good for another 20 years.

MX-600

https://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-MX-600U-NATURAL-SOUND-STEREO-POWER-AMPLIFIER/264454799728?hash=item3d92bc0170:g:MsMAAOSwtuRdcVBK

Power output: 135 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)

Frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz

Total harmonic distortion: 0.003%

Damping factor: 70

Input sensitivity: 1.14V

Signal to noise ratio: 123dB

Speaker load impedance: 4Ω to 16Ω

Dimensions: 435 x 170 x 425mm

Weight: 13kg

Year: 1988

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/yamaha/mx-600.shtml

HiFi Engnine will allow you to make a short list of Receivers based on Year, certification and specs

Pioneer Elite Receiver VSX-26TX

This one is Class D, which has become popular lately for the multi channel and 2 channel integrated amps.

These units allow you to turn off everything and run direct from the DAC into the AMP, or run the signal through the room correction, EQ and THX circuits at the push of a button.

This one is listed at $250

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PIONEER-ELITE-SC-27-THX-Ultra2-PLUS-Certified-7-1-Channel-Home-Theater-Receiver/283625274973?epid=97483965&hash=item4209623e5d:g:XQoAAOSwo6hc8zog

Pioneer Elite Receiver VSX-26TX 100W/Ch THX Ultra Certified Dolby Digital & DTS  $60.00

Processing:

• Dolby Digital and dts Decoding
  • THX Ultra Certified
  • 24-bit Digital Processing Chain for absolute accuracy
    • Crystal 24-bit A/D Converters
    • Motorola 24-bit Digital Signal Processor (DSP56362)
    • Burr Brown 96k / 24-bit D/A Converters
  • Digital Signal processing to re-create different acoustical environments. Modes include: Hall 1, Hall 2, Jazz, Dance, Theater 1, & Theater 2
  • Advanced Theater
  • Midnight Mode
  • Digital Noise Reduction

Power:

• Direct Energy MOSFET Amplifier Design
  • Stereo: 100 watts per channel (20 Hz to 20 kHz, @ 8 ohm, 0.09% THD)
  • Surround: 100W x 5 (20 Hz to 20k Hz, @ 8 ohm, .09% THD)
  • 6 ohm load capability guaranteed

Pioneer Elite VSX-33TX 5.1 Dolby THX $100 Etc etc

@ jimjimbo- what do you mean when you say another source...would that mean run iTunes off a laptop instead of iPhone? Have like 800cds, but the 80's in college took a toll on many of them, cracked cases etc.. so they hang out in the attic. So over the years I've built a massive library on iTunes/iPhone + streaming. So what's best way to transfer that music to Forte's via amp.  I'm sure I'll get a CD player next, but picking an amp and not having ability to hear with Forte's has slowed my progress.  I want to do this right.  

Just got back from a B-Trip and awesome to see all the suggestion, but wish I understood half of it.  Have a lot of learning to do....just remember the Heresy's w/400$ Denon Integrated + CD player created such an awesome sound. I don't know what 2 channel means or even difference between integrated or pre-amp. I'm a boy amongst men here. I guess there's a Heritage Dealer on Belmont in Chicago, so maybe they have some nice amps to showcase.  I don't understand why ABT Electronics doesn't let you hear the Klipsch. They seems to carry more Klipsch and B&W than any other speakers. And they're not hurting for space....the place is like a small city. 

Tubes look awesome, but I'm not one to buy anything used.  Stupid probably, but we all have our flaws. If I got a used vintage tube for shit and giggles or even new what's best vehicle to play from iPhone?  The more I read I'm also finding placement is critical.  I'll have amp in the corner with F3's being 6-7' apart along adjacent walls and hopefully close to the wall as possible.  

You guys are fantastic! 

21 hours ago, Grimtano said:

So what's best way to transfer that music to Forte's via amp.  I'm sure I'll get a CD player next, but picking an amp and not having ability to hear with Forte's has slowed my progress.  I want to do this right.  

You might consider the CocktailAudio X35 (I think that's the one) with integrated 100 W/ch amp.  I am...

Now ABT is offering a Rotel 1572 for $1050.  Lists for $1699.  Part due to customer appreciation sale and also open box, but never used on install...with full warranty of coarse. Leaning this way....ABT has been good to me as I got the Forte3's for $1750ea...they gave me early customer appreciation deal since I pretty much buy everything at ABT.  The Customer Appreciation Sale starts Nov 1st. Think I may go this route...leaved room to maybe explore adding vintage tube amp down the road.  Bad Decision? 

YAMAHA LOVE

StereoPolice on Youtube did 3 parts on the Yamaha AS-1100

which is a current high end model and his new Forte 3s

Also did 2 or 3 more on AS-1100 and lots more on the Forte 3s

Very positive on both, very good tech explanation of amps

he usually opens them up and compares them to spec on the bench

for the new Yammy he didn't have the test gear for the amp circuit they use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUe3iLa7-as

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/hifi_components/a-s1100_g/index.html

47DB3C8469C34B8E845770AC9E7DB75E_12073_3

EE9C72E21500463FBC96B391FFC4C139_12075_3

as1100spregbkls_1372x525_a9893693a8fa742

On 10/19/2019 at 10:37 PM, Grimtano said:

Have like 800cds, but the 80's in college took a toll on many of them, cracked cases etc.. so they hang out in the attic. So over the years I've built a massive library on iTunes/iPhone + streaming. So what's best way to transfer that music to Forte's via amp.  I'm sure I'll get a CD player next, but picking an amp and not having ability to hear with Forte's has slowed my progress.  I want to do this right.  

Get a WiFi router if you don't already have one

Buy a Network Access Storage Hard Disk connected to the router

All devices on the network can then access the disk via wifi

Rip all your CDs lossless onto your PC hard disk, Disk is cheap

In January I usually rip 300-500 Cds

Then copy them onto the NAS Disk.

I use a lap top connected to my DAC for Playback from WiFi Disk and the internet

There are lots of music file management programs you can run in windows

I run Media Monkey

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Grimtano said:

Pulled the trigger on the Rotel RA 1572. Couldn't refuse the $1050 price.  It's in god's hands now....

Rotel has a good reputation for a long time.

I trust you will enjoy your new purchase.