1982 Heresy 1 redone in Quartered Figured Etimoe veneer with new Crites 1228 woofers.

longdrive03

Finally finished this project. I've posted on this in Tech Mod section on the build.  I totally removed all finish on these, cut off the front 1/2" edge that surrounds the grill frame, installed neo magnet on the front to mate with the magnets I installed on the original grill frame (with new cane grill cloth), veneered the fronts, sides, and tops with aircraft grade quartered figured etimoe veneer.  I applied 6 coats of wipe on poly satin then wet sanded and applied wax with 0000 steel wool for a very smooth finish.  I installed a front to back brace with 3 screws on the back panel, installed new Bob Crites 1228 woofers, new Sonicap caps on the mids and tweets, new electrolytic parallel cap on the woofers, installed foam sealant tape on the back screw strips.  I have two emblems that come with these which I haven't attached yet so the new owner can do so with his/her choice of glue/tape.

Consecutive serial numbers 139X001 and 139X002

The grill frames automatically attach when you put them on the fronts. Components are Crites 1228 woofers, K52H mid drivers  and square maGNET  K-77 tweets.

Someone needs to give these a new home!!!   Perfect Christmas gift!    

Will post more photos after I resize them.

$750.00.   I'm located in Little Rock.  Thanks.  Longdrive03

Longdrive03IMG_8862.thumb.JPG.9d91e84c7dcb1d972d7259990e6b7e51.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

DUH!!  Forgot to mention I reinstalled trim lip around the front with veneer on the inside of the trim for those who want to leave the grill frame off.

BTW the black mark on the back left speaker is not on the speaker but on the speaker by mistake using Paint.  Don't know how to remove it!

Also forgot I shot more nails in the joints before veneering so cabinet is stout.  My motto "If in doubt, build it stout"!

They look great.  I like how you put just a couple subtle but unique touches on them.  Good work.  $750 is a great price.  With his labor and upgrades, def not making a profit.

I have made several pairs from scratch.  It costs more than buying a used pair but its about the enjoyment of the project.

39 minutes ago, longdrive03 said:

Shameless bump. I can install new binding posts if buyer desires. 

Shameless indeed. I'm envious. You do Stellar work. Don't have the time, patience or skills to do what you do.   Too bad we aren't closer.  I would likely be in contact for a custom project. 

50 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Shameless indeed. I'm envious. You do Stellar work. Don't have the time, patience or skills to do what you do.   Too bad we aren't closer.  I would likely be in contact for a custom project. 

Ken is awesome I have had the chance to meet with him for buy/sells in the past. I have been trying to get him to do a pro speaker with me but he wont take the bait lol. GLWS Ken!!

12 minutes ago, rockhound said:

Ken is awesome I have had the chance to meet with him for buy/sells in the past. I have been trying to get him to do a pro speaker with me but he wont take the bait lol. GLWS Ken!!

When you go fishing, if one bait isn't working, switch to something else.   May I suggest fine bourbon/cognac and bbq as you next form of bait? 

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, rockhound said:

He is coward then!!!

Or maybe smart, imagine what it would cost to veneer 2 or 4 MWMs in that beautiful Etimoe.🤔

• Haha 2

On the neo magnets I recessed and epoxied (is that a word?) 7 3/8” diameter neo magnets from Madisound in the front baffle which is covered by veneer. I epoxied 7 to the back of original Klipsch grill frame and then recovered grill with tan cane material. When you insert the grill in the front recess the magnets grab the frame and hold tight. I applied very thin self adhesive felt on the grill magnets so they don’t scratch front. 

Im out of town now and don’t have pics of the back of grill frames to show magnets. I’ll post next week. No ugly Velcro showing when you remove grills to see the veneered baffles. 

Rockhound finally convinced me to redo his industrial Heresys. 

• Like 2

On 10/26/2019 at 3:24 PM, longdrive03 said:

On the neo magnets I recessed and epoxied (is that a word?) 7 3/8” diameter neo magnets from Madisound in the front baffle which is covered by veneer. I epoxied 7 to the back of original Klipsch grill frame and then recovered grill with tan cane material. When you insert the grill in the front recess the magnets grab the frame and hold tight. I applied very thin self adhesive felt on the grill magnets so they don’t scratch front. 

Im out of town now and don’t have pics of the back of grill frames to show magnets. I’ll post next week. No ugly Velcro showing when you remove grills to see the veneered baffles. 

Rockhound finally convinced me to redo his industrial Heresys. 

That sounds exactly like what I was planning. I'd love to see pics when you're back in town! 

On 10/14/2019 at 1:45 PM, longdrive03 said:

BTW the black mark on the back left speaker is not on the speaker but on the speaker by mistake using Paint.  Don't know how to remove it!

As the caffeine was kicking in it took me awhile to figure out what you were saying about the black mark.  I misunderstood and thought you were confessing to actually getting black paint on one of the speakers.  After the caffeine was downloaded I realized you were referring to the Paint program and a computer generated black mark.

They look amazing.  Be patient.  The right buyer is out there.

BTW, you might want to change the third “speaker” to “photo” to make it more clear to others as dense as I am that the black mark is not paint on the speaker.

B6D01430-CD48-4D38-9FB8-79E0A403641C.jpeg