Scala 1975 in France

Rodolpk6

Hello
New on the site 
I am in France and I will buy a pair of Scala with the letter N so 1975 with AA filter, but I put some pictures because there are grids in the lower part and a vertical wooden element in the center a little like a Belle in smaller.
I've never seen this before, the seller tells me it's 100% original.
I call on the experts to check it out.
It is to replace RF7 llls, driven by two Jadis blocks from 1984 with EL503 tubes and a preamplifier The Lightspeed Passive Attenuator designed by George Stantscheff .

Yours sincerely
Rudolph

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

maison rf7.jpg

IMG_20191015_104158.jpg

096e6ca6-55ea-4c7f-ae00-243854eaae84.jpg

e5e8d910-398c-46ff-b451-6f7905c9edef (2).jpg

Edited by Rodolpk6
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

That's what I'm listening to, in a balanced room

Serveur PC fanless i7 (Roon Rock) Qobuz Hi-res >Streamer Ambre (Metrum)  >2 Switch tweakés  Fento c2 mk2  >Dac  Topping D70 >Pré Ampli passif Light speed attenuator  >Ampli 2 blocs Jadis JA 30 Chromés 1984 tubes EL503  > Enceintes Klipsch RF7 III

Very nice looking La Scalas and RF-7s.

Have you tried toeing-in the La Scalas a little bit more?  It's easy to do or undo.  Perhaps a 30 degree toe-in from the flat position is a good place to start. You can listen for soundstage coherence and better phantom center channel imaging.  Additionally, you can try placing a little carpet in front of each La Scala to absorb the early floor bounce reflections from the midrange (about 1 m depth, and the width of the loudspeaker).  Even placing a little absorption across the top of the La Scalas (a thick towel or fuzzy place mat) will help to calm the soundstage imaging and strengthen the center image a little.

Welcome to the forum!

Chris

21 minutes ago, Chris A said:

Très belle recherche La Scalas et RF-7.

Avez-vous essayé un peu plus dans la Scalas? C'est facile à faire ou à annuler. Peut-être qu'un bon pincement à 30 degrés de la position à plat est un bon point de départ. Vous pouvez écouter la cohérence de la scène sonore et une meilleure imagerie du canal du centre fantôme. De plus, vous pouvez essayer de placer un petit tapis devant chaque La Scala pour absorber les premiers reflets du médium dans les médiums (environ 1 m de profondeur et la largeur du haut-parleur). Même en plaçant un peu d'absorption sur le dessus de La Scalas (une épaisse serviette ou un napperon en duvet), vous pourrez calmer l'image de la scène sonore et renforcer un peu l'image du centre.

Bienvenue sur le forum!

Chris

Thank you for your answer, but maybe you misunderstood my question (I go through Deepl)
I currently have a pair of RF7 llls at home that you can see in the picture.
I plan to change it for a pair of Scala that we see at the seller, 3 photos, my main question is whether the Scala are original, what troubles me is the vertical wood in the center and the 4 grids in lower parts.
I didn't see any Scala that looked like that.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

They certainly look like real Klipsch La Scalas to me.  I believe that there was at least one grill type that could be ordered from Klipsch that covered the entire front face of the loudspeaker.  The version that you show do look like Belles, with fabric covering the center doghouse area and the sidewall, meeting in the center of the horn mouths.  This will not affect the sound from the bass bin due to the longer wavelengths handled by the bass bins which are crossed over to the midrange horns at 400 Hz--it's completely transparent acoustically.

The Type AA crossover circuit was introduced in 1971 and replaced by the Type AL in 1983, so without having the serial numbers from the two La Scalas from the back of the loudspeakers, it's probably not possible to know which exact year they were manufactured between those two years without that information.  Perhaps our historian (Jim Hunter) might know if that particular bass bin decoration was factory installed or if it was installed after the factory.  It certainly looks like it's factory installed.

Chris

14 minutes ago, Chris A said:

Ils ressemblent certainement à de vrais Klipsch La Scalas pour moi. Je crois qu’il existait au moins un type de grille pouvant être commandé auprès de Klipsch et couvrant toute la face avant du haut-parleur. La version que vous montrez ressemble à Belles, avec du tissu couvrant la zone centrale de la niche et le flanc se rejoignant au centre des gueules en corne. Cela n'affectera pas le son émis par la caisse de basses grâce aux longueurs d'ondes plus longues traitées par les caisses de basse qui sont croisées vers les cornes de médiums à 400 Hz - elle est complètement transparente acoustiquement.

Le circuit de croisement de type AA a été introduit en 1971 et remplacé par le type AL en 1983. Par conséquent, sans les numéros de série des deux La Scalas au dos des haut-parleurs, il est probablement impossible de savoir en quelle année exactement ils ont été fabriqués. deux ans sans cette information. Notre historien (Jim Hunter) pourrait peut-être savoir si cette décoration particulière de la caisse de basse a été installée en usine ou si elle a été installée après l'usine. On dirait certainement que c'est installé en usine.

Chris

Yes, it looks like it was in the factory.
I have a picture with a serial number, letter N which corresponds to 1975

numero serie scala.jpg

Those are La Scalas.  I doubt that they've been altered from 1975. 

They will need new capacitors--as what I see are the old oil filled ones from that period.  Other than that, I'd look at and/or listen to the diaphragms of the midrange K-55 drivers and tweeter K-77s for age-related degradation.  You can look for a Klipsch refresh kit, or you can try Crites for replacement diaphragms. 

Chris

Looks like "beautified" originals to me. That vertical strip is most likely there to conceal previous damage to the "peak" of the "roof" of the doghouse section of the bass horn lens.

Whoever did the beautification of those basic LaScalas did a very good job of it, from what I can see.  Congratulations!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

On dirait que les originaux sont "sublimés". Cette bande verticale est très probablement là pour dissimuler des dommages antérieurs au "sommet" du "toit" de la section de la niche de la niche en corniche.

D'après ce que je peux voir, quiconque a embelli ces LaScalas de base a fait un très bon travail. Toutes nos félicitations!

Thank you for your answer, I'll get them back soon and I'll post some precise photos to find out for sure.
It seems that the vertical central wood is there to hold the central grids, a little like in La Belle.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chris A said:

Ce sont La Scalas. Je doute qu'ils aient été modifiés depuis 1975. 

Ils auront besoin de nouveaux condensateurs - comme ce que je vois sont les anciens condensateurs remplis d’huile de cette période. En dehors de cela, je regarderais et / ou écouterais les diaphragmes des haut-parleurs médiums K-55 et des tweeters K-77 pour la dégradation liée à l'âge. Vous pouvez rechercher un kit de rafraîchissement Klipsch ou essayer Crites pour remplacer les diaphragmes. 

Chris

I thought I would go directly through a universal ALK, probably change the diagrams and maybe replace the 33 with a KAPPA PRO-15LFC.
and later make a Bass Reflex Mod either underneath or in the upper part by closing the back of the upper part, as suggested here by Marwel:

Original text from Dennis:

The taper rate of a LaScala is 100hz,The mouth area is good for 125hz. Below this it is a big woofer in a small sealed box.If we plug the T/S parameters for the K33E into a box program we will see that the Qtc=.85, the Fc=82.5hz, and the F3=70.9hz. If we close in the back of the high frequency cabinet and open the woofer rear chamber up into this volume and fill with fiberglass we now have Qtc=.577, Fc=58.2hz, F3=73.6hz .

Bessel=Qtc.577=D2 gives the best transient response and the least group delay of all the sealed boxes.At 30hz the Qtc=.577 has 4.5dB more output than the Qtc=.85 . Compared with sealed enclosures,the transient performance of the best vented enclosure is worse than the best sealed box enclosure.Since we have made great gains in performance some may elect to stop here.But please read on.The next step is to port it. The K33E is not the optimum woofer for this but it works pretty good. With the box size optimized for a D2 we can port the stock woofer to an SC4.The transient response of an SC4 while not as good as an SBB4(more on this later)is better than the more common QB3. Unequalized the F3=49hz and has 3dB more output at 30hz than the D2. The response curves are parallel with the D2 the only difference being the Fc being a half octave lower with the SC4 and the output being 3dB higher from 30~70hz. The output of the SC4 does not drop lower than the D2 until you go below 17hz. Again this may be a stopping point for some.

But by adding a simple two pole high pass filter ahead of the power amp we can now have a C6 with a -3dB point of 31hz. Since this is the Fb of the system there is no increase in cone excursion or distortion. The filter consists of a cap, an inductor and a pot. The pot allows adjustment at Fb of +/- 3dB. This is similar to being able to change the Qtc of a sealed box from .5~1.0 .If you think about it we have the choice between a D2,SC4,and a C6 in the same box by plugging the port and/or bypassing the eq. If you have a SET amp or simply want to get the most out of the LaScala you will want to upgrade the woofer to something with a lower Qts. The Klipsch K43E does the trick, as do the EV DL15W and the JBL 2205. The EV and JBL drivers require some minor network changes. The lower Qts drivers allow for an SBB4 alignment which has the best transient response of the vented alignments. With no eq they have 3dB more output at 30hz than the stock woofer. With eq we have a maximally flat B6 and the F3 of the system is 27~28hz. If using a solid state amp with the low Qts woofers a small resistor must be added in series with the driver to have the same Rg as the SET does. This mod can be backed out of a stock LaScala with no externally visible changes if you don't like it. No one has ever gone back to stock after hearing this mod.

Hello Rodolpk6,

Those are real La Scalas that have been modified to be pretty.  If the sound they reproduce is crisp, and sounds forward or out in the room, in front of the loudspeakers, the crossovers are good and do not need to be modified.  If they sound reserved or polite, replace the capacitors.  Use good film and foil capacitors. 

ALK crossovers are very good, but run the tweeters hotter/brighter.  I found the original Type AA sounds better and changed back to them. 

If your woofer, squawker (midrange) and tweeter sound clear without audible distortion, you are wasting money when you replace them without cause.  I haven't replaced mine and don't recommend it.  I have replaced my tweeters with Tractrix tweeters that I like, but others dont.  I am still running my original 1981 K-33s and K-55-Vs. 

In order to get the most performance out of the bass reflex modification, a high-pass filter and low bass equalization are required.  Forum members who have published test data from their bass reflex modification showed it made only 3 or 4 dB difference without the EQ and filter and that difference was not always better.  I think it is a waste of effort.  It is better to get a good subwoofer and leave the La Scala woofer alone so it can reproduce music with the least distortion. 

From DeepL:

Bonjour Rodolpk6,

Ce sont de vrais La Scalas qui ont été modifiés pour être jolis.  Si le son qu'ils reproduisent est net, et les sons en avant ou en arrière dans la pièce, devant les haut-parleurs, les crossovers sont bons et n'ont pas besoin d'être modifiés.  S'ils semblent réservés ou polis, remplacez les condensateurs.  Utilisez de bons condensateurs à film et à feuille.

Les filtres ALK sont très efficaces, mais font fonctionner les tweeters plus chauds/plus brillants.  J'ai trouvé que le Type AA d'origine sonne mieux et j'ai changé pour eux.

Si votre haut-parleur de grave, votre haut-parleur de médium et votre tweeter sonnent bien sans distorsion audible, vous gaspillez de l'argent lorsque vous les remplacez sans raison.  Je n'ai pas remplacé le mien et je ne le recommande pas.  J'ai remplacé mes tweeters par des tweeters Tractrix que j'aime bien, mais d'autres pas.  J'utilise toujours mes K-33 et K-55-V originaux de 1981.

Afin de tirer le meilleur parti de la modification du bass reflex, un filtre passe-haut et une égalisation des basses sont nécessaires.  Les membres du forum qui ont publié des données d'essai de leur modification du bass reflex ont montré qu'il n'y avait qu'une différence de 3 ou 4 dB sans l'égaliseur et le filtre et que cette différence n'était pas toujours meilleure.  Je pense que c'est un gaspillage d'efforts.  Il est préférable d'obtenir un bon caisson de basses et de laisser le caisson de basses La Scala seul pour qu'il puisse reproduire la musique avec le moins de distorsion possible.  

J'espère que cette traduction fonctionne mieux que Google.

1 hour ago, JohnA said:

Bonjour Rodolpk6,

Ce sont de vrais La Scalas qui ont été modifiés pour être jolis. Si le son reproduit est clair, et qu'il sonne vers l'avant ou vers l'extérieur dans la pièce, devant les haut-parleurs, les croisements sont bons et n'ont pas besoin d'être modifiés. S'ils semblent réservés ou polis, remplacez les condensateurs. Utilisez de bons condensateurs à film et à feuille. 

Les crossovers ALK sont très bons, mais les tweeters sont plus chauds / plus brillants. J'ai trouvé que le type AA original sonnait mieux et que je les ai remplacés. 

Si votre woofer, votre squawker (milieu de gamme) et votre tweeter paraissent clairs sans distorsion audible, vous gaspillez de l'argent en les remplaçant sans cause. Je n'ai pas remplacé le mien et ne le recommande pas. J'ai remplacé mes tweeters par des tweeters Tractrix que j'aime bien, mais d'autres non. Je travaille toujours avec mes K-33 et K-55-V de 1981. 

Afin de tirer le meilleur parti des performances de la modification bass-reflex, un filtre passe-haut et une égalisation des basses fréquences sont nécessaires. Les membres du Forum qui ont publié des données de test issues de leur modification bass-réflexe ont montré que la différence ne faisait que 3 ou 4 dB de différence sans correcteur d’égalisation ni filtre, et que cette différence n’était pas toujours meilleure. Je pense que c'est un gaspillage d'effort. Il est préférable d’obtenir un bon subwoofer et de laisser le woofer La Scala seul afin qu’il puisse reproduire la musique avec le moins de distorsion possible. 

De DeepL:

Bonjour Rodolpk6,

Ce sont de vrais qui ont été modifiés pour être jolis. Si son son reproduit est net, et les sons en avant ou en arrière dans la pièce, devant les haut-parleurs, les crossovers sont bons et n'ont pas besoin d'être changé. S'ils semblaient réservés ou remplacés, remplacez les condensateurs. Utilisez de bons condensateurs à film et à feuille.

Les filtres sont très efficaces, mais ils fonctionnent les tweeters plus chauds / plus brillants. J'ai trouvé que le Type AA d'origine sonne mieux et j'ai changé pour eux.

Si votre voix est grave, si votre voix est grave, si vous écoutez, vous perdez de l'argent quand vous le remplacez sans raison. Je n'ai pas remplacé le mien et je ne le recommande pas. J'ai remplacé mes tweeters par les tweeters Tractrix que j'aime bien, mais d'autres pas. J'utilise toujours mes K-33 et K-55-V originaux de 1981.

Afin de tirer le meilleur parti de la modification du bass reflex, un filtre passe-haut et une égalisation des basses sont nécessaires. Les membres du forum qui ont publié les données d'essai de leur modification du reflex ont été montrés qu'il n'y avait qu'une différence de 3 ou 4 dB sans filtre et que cette différence n'était pas pas toujours meilleure. Je pense que c'est un gaspillage d'efforts. Il est préférable de choisir un bon caisson de basse et de laisser un caisson de basse La Scala seul pour qu'il puisse reproduire la musique avec le moins de distorsion possible.  

J'espère que cette traduction fonctionne mieux que Google.

Thank you for all these explanations, 

so for medium and tweeter it may not be necessary to change the diaphragms despite their age, given the investment is it not wise to do so? 

For crossover, I only change the capacitors (I have a device that allows me to test Esr) directly at Bob's or can we put better ones? 

With the RF-7 llls, I have very good bass and I'm used to it. 
If I can go down to the Scala with the Bass reflex mod and use Roon to equalize. 
I don't see how to put a Sub on my system, because the "Lightspeed attenuator" preamp has only one input and one RCA output

Translated with

www.DeepL.com/Translator

your compression driver diaphragms should be just fine they last a very long time. Change out all the capacitors it is a good safety measure even if they do sound ok. You can contact George at DIY AUDIO in the Lightspeed thread and he can tell you how to run a parallel output from your Lightspeed to your sub(s).

8 minutes ago, moray james said:

vos diaphragmes de pilote de compression devraient être très bien, ils durent très longtemps. Remplacez tous les condensateurs, c’est une bonne mesure de sécurité, même s’ils sonnent bien. Vous pouvez contacter George chez DIY AUDIO via le fil Lightspeed pour qu'il vous dise comment exécuter une sortie parallèle de votre Lightspeed sur votre ou vos sous-marins.

Merci beaucoup pour le contact de George.

Bonne journée

21 hours ago, Rodolpk6 said:

Thank you for all these explanations, 

so for medium and tweeter it may not be necessary to change the diaphragms despite their age, given the investment is it not wise to do so? 

For crossover, I only change the capacitors (I have a device that allows me to test Esr) directly at Bob's or can we put better ones? 

With the RF-7 llls, I have very good bass and I'm used to it. 
If I can go down to the Scala with the Bass reflex mod and use Roon to equalize. 
I don't see how to put a Sub on my system, because the "Lightspeed attenuator" preamp has only one input and one RCA output

Translated with

www.DeepL.com/Translator

I am sure the drivers and diaphragms are still good, unless you can hear they have been damaged.  Without abuse, they will last many decades, easily. 

In the future, you might choose to install better or higher quality drivers, but be careful, it is difficult to improve the K-55-V (squawker) and K-33-E (woofer). 

You will likely need to change out the capacitors and when you check the ESR, you will see why.  I would recommend using very good film and foil caps, maybe not 300 Euros good, but very good.  I do not know what is available on your side of the pond, perhaps Mundorf M Caps. 

You may be surprised by the bass performance of La Scalas.  There is plenty and it is clear and well defined.  They do not play really deep notes, but room placement will help.  Start with them about 300 mm from the walls of a corner and adjust as desired.  Getting below about 55 Hz, however, will require a subwoofer.  Our of the other members offered a distance, though it may be as easy as a Y adapter. 

Français:

Je suis sûr que les haut-parleurs et les diaphragmes sont encore bons, sauf si vous entendez qu'ils ont été endommagés.  Sans abus, ils dureront des décennies, facilement.

A l'avenir, vous pouvez choisir d'installer des haut-parleurs de meilleure qualité ou de meilleure qualité, mais attention, il est difficile d'améliorer les K-55-V (squawker) et K-33-E (woofer).

Vous devrez probablement changer les condensateurs et lorsque vous vérifierez l'ESR, vous verrez pourquoi.  Je recommanderais d'utiliser de très bons capuchons de film et de papier d'aluminium, peut-être pas 300 euros, mais très bons.  Je ne sais pas ce qui est disponible de votre côté de l'étang, peut-être Mundorf M Caps.

Vous serez peut-être surpris par la basse de La Scalas.  Il y en a beaucoup et c'est clair et bien défini.  Ils ne jouent pas de notes très profondes, mais l'emplacement de la pièce peut aider.  Commencez par les placer à environ 300 mm des murs d'un coin et ajustez-les au besoin.  Pour descendre en dessous d'environ 55 Hz, vous aurez besoin d'un caisson de basses.  Nos autres membres ont offert une distance, bien que cela puisse être aussi facile qu'un adaptateur en Y.

Traduit avec www.DeepL.com/Translator

Thank you for all these answers but I just changed and I fell for a pair of Belle and Monday I will pick them up in Italy I will drive 1500 km.
They are from 1980 and in perfect condition, 
I'll put pictures in as soon as I get them, I'll change the capacitors first. 
Yours sincerely 
Rudolph

• Like 2

I am a big Belle fan. I have both Belles and LaScalas. Love both. 

Before you change the capacitors, let us know the cross over type. These may have the AB type which are not the greatest even if you update the caps. Might want to explore other options if this is the case. There are many good alternatives.

Good luck.

• Like 1

On 19/10/2019 at 01:11, MookieStl said:

Je suis un grand fan de Belle. J'ai à la fois Belles et LaScalas. Aimer les deux. 

Avant de changer les condensateurs, indiquez-nous le type de croisement. Ceux-ci peuvent avoir le type AB qui n'est pas le meilleur même si vous mettez à jour les caps. Peut-être voudrez-vous explorer d'autres options si c'est le cas. Il y a beaucoup de bonnes alternatives.

Bonne chance.

C'est type AA et j'ai commandé ALK Universal mais 8 semaines de délais...