To upgrade or not upgrade Heresy II's?

HDBRbuilder

Every design has trade offs....

Heresy's, Cornwall and probably Forte have bass and mid horn alignment, most of what we hear, with grey hair even more so. Voice spans bass and mid horn, so crossover implementation is even more critical.

On my Heresy 1s, crites cross overs, female vocal is crystal clear.....

Should Heresy 5 be a two way crossover and two drivers rolling off at 17Khz?

Do the new tweeters sound any better than the original ones on the Heresy I ?

or should they ditch it for the Beyma,

I think that is the one everyone is in love with at the cost of some efficiency ?

LaScala has the 400Hz horn which reproduces most of the mids and most or all of the voice, especially female vocal.

Mid horn is approx 24 in deep, bass horn is approx 36 in deep.... so no alignment.

If the vocal and bass guitar don't perfectly align......does it matter ? one of the imponderables of the universe..

The tweeters don't align on any of the above,

which goes back to the argument of 2-Way crossovers and rolling off around 17Khz

On 10/17/2019 at 1:07 AM, Islander said:

HDBRbuilder, I installed the H3 kit in one of my 1989 Heresy IIs, and I'm really happy with the improvements.  I was using it as a front centre speaker, so I only upgraded the one speaker.  It's now serving as rear centre, for 6.1 listening.

Just for curiosity, do you mean it costs only $500USD to do both speakers?  It used to be around $300CAD for just one.  That was back in 2008.  You do know the Heresy IIs should be the square connector pocket models, right, like 1986 and later?  If they have the earlier round pocket, some woodworking will be required.

The result should sound exactly like a Heresy III, since everything in the cabinet is replaced, except for the plastic squawker horn.  You reuse that.  The new woofer is clearly better, the new crossover is much more complex, and everything fits right in.  I had to slightly open up the hole for the squawker, but that may have been unnecessary.  It was a small job, anyway.

I could hear the improvements immediately:  deeper bass, louder sound/higher efficiency, and clearer vocals.  I was totally happy with the improvements, and now they integrate with the La Scalas a bit better.

I've heard this multiple times about the mid horn not being included but my III upgrade kit came with the driver mounted to the horn.  It was all complete... just needed the old HII boxes.  It was a little over 500 including shipping for the parts for both speakers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, muel said:

I've heard this multiple times about the mid horn not being included but my III upgrade kit came with the driver mounted to the horn.  It was all complete... just needed the old HII boxes.  It was a little over 500 including shipping for the parts for both speakers.

I did the upgrade in 2008, so it appears that the company has changed its mind about the squawker horn.  However, this could make them a bit leery of selling the kits to non-Heresy owners who want to just build a pair of boxes and get a pair of Heresy IIIs on the cheap.

It's great that Klipsch has been able to keep the price low, which is great news for Heresy II owners looking to upgrade.