HT Pre/Pro recommendations?

Rudy81

It seems my Integra DHC 9.9 is on its last legs.  I suspect the video board is going out. That unit worked very well for many years and I hate to part with it.  Time to look into something new and I have not kept up with the latest HT offerings in term of a pre/pro.

I am wondering if you guys have any recommendations for a suitable replacement.  Requirements are:

1) Must have extremely good 2-ch performance.  I will be using all XLR balanced connections, so prefer a 'true' balanced setup. At least for the mains.

2) 7.1 channel minimum.  I realize everyone has gone crazy with the number of channels, but i will only need 7.1

3) Needs to have a good room EQ system such as Audyssey, Dirac, ARC, etc. I have always used Audyssey Pro, but know that there are better options out there.

4) User level firmware upgrade-ability that is actually supported by the manufacturer.

5) Price range not to go above $5k.

I have just gotten into looking am have looked at:

Emotiva offeings, RC-1 and XMC-2. Very appealing, but have been reading of major problems with system interface and availability of Dirac is questionable. 

Anthem AV 60. Seems to be well thought of, but not sure about 2-ch performance.

Integra DHC-60.7, very similar to what I have.

Any help is appreciated, particularly if you have hands on experience with a unit.

I have used Denon, Marantz and Emo in the last 10 years and several others prior to that. I currently use, and would recommend, a McIntosh MX 151 with it's Room Perfect correction. This would be for 2 / 2.2 channel and 7.2 channel WITHOUT 4K. I see that used 151s are on the market at or below your budget. I found mine NIB with 5 year Magnolia transferable warranty for below your max. If you want Mc with 4k then you have to double the budget. As for as 2 channel your room is certainly more refined than my all use cavern that I am required to use but in this crappy CRAPPY room I heard zero difference in stereo with this MX compared to the Juicy Music Peach and VRD NBS pre amps on Belles, KHorns and CWall IIIs.

Edit: another point of 2 channel reference I forgot about is that alongside the MX151 I had a McIntosh C2500 tube pre, sold it and just use the MX151.

It depends on how into 2-channel you are versus home-theater, and do you want room EQ to apply to your 2-channel also (i.e. do you want your 2-channel digitized)?  I'm not huge into HT - I'm mostly 2-channel - but I need to share the same speakers.  HT technology changes weekly whereas 2-channel doesn't.  In the end, I decided to go with the cheapest AVR from a major manufacturer with pre-outs that met my needs (actually a free 8-year old Yamaha AVR from my brother) and a high quality 2-channel pre-amp (McIntosh C-48) with home-theater bypass.  Both are feeding the same amp and speakers.  Just another option for you to consider.

Certainly lots of options.  I split my listening/watching time at about 50/50.  I love a great movie with superb sound and sound effects. I also with to maximize my 2-ch listening enjoyment.  Like most, I use the same mains for both operations. 

HT technology has really changed since I last researched all this.  I see very good reviews for the Athem AVM-60 and it's simplicity is a plus, but does not have truly balanced outputs like the Emotivas that have just been released.  My problem with the Emotiva offerings is that they seem to be buggy at this stage of development based on the comments in the forums and reviews.  I don't really want to spend a bunch of money and then spend time frustrated with the hardware/software interaction.

Been very happy with my Onkyo Pre/Pro which is very similar to your Integra. If and when mine craps out, I think i will be moving to Marantz. I'd be all over this one if I could justify the need vs. the want...

This is still available on the EMO forum for about half price of new.

http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/post/1003998/thread

mz_av8805_u_b_re_001_hi_L.png

https://www.us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=AVSeparates&SubCatId=0&ProductId=AV8805

8 hours ago, Rudy81 said:

Certainly lots of options.  I split my listening/watching time at about 50/50.  I love a great movie with superb sound and sound effects. I also with to maximize my 2-ch listening enjoyment.  Like most, I use the same mains for both operations. 

HT technology has really changed since I last researched all this.  I see very good reviews for the Athem AVM-60 and it's simplicity is a plus, but does not have truly balanced outputs like the Emotivas that have just been released.  My problem with the Emotiva offerings is that they seem to be buggy at this stage of development based on the comments in the forums and reviews.  I don't really want to spend a bunch of money and then spend time frustrated with the hardware/software interaction.

Great minds think alike. I do the same thing with my Yamaha CX-A5200. Highly recommended for sound quality, versatility, ESS Sabre DAC's, and built like a TANK.

I am going to see how the new Monolith preamp is. If it is as good as I think it will be, I am going to sell my Yamaha cxa5100, and get one. The new Monolith AVP is built by ATI.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Ron E said:

I am going to see how the new Monolith preamp is. If it is as good as I think it will be, I am going to sell my Yamaha cxa5100, and get one. The new Monolith AVP is built by ATI.

Please report back on your findings. That preamp is on the list.

• Like 1

Truly balanced? What dat mean?

I believe he is referring to a true differential balanced circuit where it is balanced from input to output. This means more parts are required throughout the preamp as you must have 2 of everything in the circuit, which of course increases cost so some Manufacturers do not do it this way. As to whether or not it makes a sonic difference...no idea. Hopefully I explained this all correctly.

21 hours ago, Ron E said:

I believe he is referring to a true differential balanced circuit where it is balanced from input to output. This means more parts are required throughout the preamp as you must have 2 of everything in the circuit, which of course increases cost so some Manufacturers do not do it this way. As to whether or not it makes a sonic difference...no idea. Hopefully I explained this all correctly.

Correct. Many of the pre/pro offerings use the same signal path for balanced and unbalanced connections.  The balanced connectors are not independent from input to output. Some systems, like the Emotiva, NAD and others do have a true balanced stage.

• Like 1