Heresy II vs RF82 ii

pat_in_dfw

I have a pair of Heresy IIs but I have a chance to get a pair of RF82 ii towers at a good price.  If I own both, which one do members think would be better? Which to keep and which to sell?  I'm running a 250w Sunfire powered sub to help the low end on the Heresys.  Thoughts?

• Like 1

RF82 IIs are ok if you are looking for bedroom speakers or something narrow that don't require a sub or stand.  Excellent for that.

Heresy IIs, particularly positioned appropriately in a room provide a much better presentation though don't go as deep in the bass.  I like bass but the top end in the Heresy lends itself to be much more cohesive with the 12" and ties itself together is a great little package, to the point I would forgo the bass depth afforded by the RF series. 

If you buy the RF 82's just to check them out, you could probably resell them for about what you paid for them if you want the experience.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, willland said:

Nothing says you can't like both equally.  I can't say between my main pair of speakers, RF-63s, Heresys, Heresy IIs, RB-75s, which I like "best".

Bill

Absolutely, personal preference.  The key with the RF82 II is the presentation is definitely two way and many folks like that presentation.  You have to listen and decide.

• Like 1

I haven't listened to them head to head yet, but I hooked up the RF82s by themselves to a receiver in the garage and listened to them a bit that way.  My first impression is that the bass was strong, better than the Heresy stand-alone, but not as good as the Heresy with a sub.  The highs seemed stronger and crisper also, but the midrange clarity wasn't as good as the Heresy.  I'll hook them up in my bedroom in the next few days so I can listen side by side with the Heresy.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After listening to them more they have a high "sizzle and boom" appeal, but lack the midrange clarity of the Heresys.  Since I am running dual 12" subs with 250w per sub to supplement the Heresys I'm going to stick with them and sell the RF82s.  They would be a very nice speaker to cover the full audio spectrum by themselves, but when you take away the appeal of the stronger low end they don't measure up to the Heresy IIs.

• Like 1