Got my Garlic Planted Tonight

Wolfbane

Nine days sooner than ideal for here this month but things have been kind of hectic lately. Only issue was the moon is far beyond a layer of heavy cloud tonight. Had to use my flashlight.🍹

Now I just need to put a layer of straw on top when I can actually see to take the bale apart properly.

Wb

4 minutes ago, dtel said:

The Garlic will not care about the 9 days, now just wait 9 months.

I’m still between the full moon and the new moon but the sweet spot would have been the 25th.

I planted in late November here one year when the ground still hadn’t frozen solid. I still had shoots showing in March and 100% of my crop in by late August that year. 

Wb

38 minutes ago, YK Thom said:

Where do you live? Does it survive over winter?

Calgary is home most of the warm months and north of the 51st. 51.3 or so and 114. I plant hardneck Russian Purple Garlic (aka Lazlo or Lorenzo Garlic) which is the variety to grow at this altitude, latitude and longitude which is on the eastern slopes of the Canadian Rocky Mountains. The NA Great Plains and Grain Belt is east and south of here.

You have to plant it deeper than you would further south and cover it well into April most years. I used a combination of first peat moss, than straw to cover it this year. Usually I would just use straw but had some peatmoss just sitting around so I've decided to try it as well. I should have done one row with just straw and one with the combination of both but didn't think of it until afterward. In any case, I have always had 100% of the garlic I've ever planted grow in prior years. I will plant my herbs in the late spring (June probably). French Thyme, Chives, Parsley and Mint grow well here. Basil does not most years (too cold and windy).

Wb

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wolfbane said:

Calgary is home most of the warm months and north of the 51st. 51.3 or so and 114. I plant hardneck Russian Purple Garlic (aka Lazlo or Lorenzo Garlic) which is the variety to grow at this altitude, latitude and longitude which is on the eastern slopes of the Canadian Rocky Mountains. The NA Great Plains and Grain Belt is east and south of here.

You have to plant it deeper than you would further south and cover it well into April most years. I used a combination of first peat moss, than straw to cover it this year. Usually I would just use straw but had some peatmoss just sitting around so I've decided to try it as well. I should have done one row with just straw and one with the combination of both but didn't think of it until afterward. In any case, I have always had 100% of the garlic I've ever planted grow in prior years. I will plant my herbs in the late spring (June probably). French Thyme, Chives, Parsley and Mint grow well here. Basil does not most years (too cold and windy).

Wb

I didn't realize you could grow garlic in Alberta.

20 minutes ago, YK Thom said:

I didn't realize you could grow garlic in Alberta.

Along with canola, soy beans, barley, oats, potatoes and the best hard wheat and mustard in the world garlic grows like a bad weed in Alberta. WRT garlic; even here at 4025 feet above sea level. Gilroy and China go for volume, I prefer quality and flavour.

You only plant the largest cloves from the previous year's crop. Illusrated to scale below are this years rejects:

Wb

Garlic 2019 Rejects.jpg

• Like 1

So do I have this right?  Wolfbane is afraid of Dracula so he's planting garlic?

Sounds like a plan!  Instant Dracula protection while at the same time, you can eat the goods when Dracula season is over.

How are the mirrors in your house doing?  

Hope I got my boogeymen correct....  with the mention of the full moon, I'm wondering if the Werewolf is also a threat?

:emotion-14:

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Emile said:

Don't know how you guys do this :(  I buy a basil plant every 2 weeks and it just dies :( Not even going to try garlic :D 

Emile,

Basil is a tough herb to grow outdoors here as the summers are too short and unpredictible. We also sometimes get cold winds from the north and or east and basil plants hate wind and cool tempertures. Indoor grows are they way to go with this plant; here at least.

20 hours ago, Coytee said:

So do I have this right?  Wolfbane is afraid of Dracula so he's planting garlic?

Sounds like a plan!  Instant Dracula protection while at the same time, you can eat the goods when Dracula season is over.

Hope I got my boogeymen correct....  with the mention of the full moon, I'm wondering if the Werewolf is also a threat?

The last full moon was October 14th and it's been waning every since. It has also behind heavy night time cloud cover here. Which is good because it stays warmer over night but bad because it is rather dark for planting bulbs. Our bigger threat here is bobcats and coyotes. Between the resident jackrabbits, squirrels and peoples' pets being let out in their yards and not watched, or small dogs being walked in the ravines around here by un-prepared city-folk they make a pretty good living. That poster assuming 'Fluffy has run away' is usually not correct. :(

No wolves yet (they pack further west, north and south of here by miles and there is no shortage of deer, elk, etc. in western Alberta). I've only seen one cougar up close around here so I'm pretty safe whether walking my Bichon in a ravine or not. I do tend to keep a close eye up in the trees while walking near them with a 13lb dog that won't bite anything but his own food. 🐺 

I believe that the last Werewolves disappeared from central Europe when people quit eating too much rye bread in their diets. ;)

Wb

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2019 at 10:12 AM, Coytee said:

The penultimate day to have planted in the north was October 25th but it was freezing and windy with snow that night. Now that I’m south I could plant anytime at night between the full moon and the new moon here this month. 

Trouble is my seed garlic is a few thousand miles away and I would not have been able to bring bulbs across the border. Didn’t even want to try to talk C&BS into that one. Also, the soil here is far too crappy. 

I’m Werewolf proof as they naturally fear Wolfsbane and Wolfbane. Besides not one showed up here last night. Candy or not.

Wb