My first Klipsch Heritage product!

powdermnky007

Getting some 1982 Cornwalls tomorrow.  My first order of business will be to purchase a crossover upgrade kit from Bob Crites.  Can I listen to them in the mean time?  Could I damage the speakers/drivers by listening to them with the old capacitors?  I'm not going to go crazy with volume.  Nothing more than a watt or two. :)    Please advise.

Thank you

• Like 2

Congratulations!

Quite unlikely you will do any damage to them with the original crossover (do NOT disable any of the series capacitors in the cross over).

Certainly listen to them and enjoy them. In doing so if you are worried that there is not enough energy in the highs, don't worry the new refreshed capacitors will help take care of that. 

Personally, I would do very little in terms of upgrades, until you have had a good chance to experiment with speaker & chair placement, toe-in etc. (these are probably more important anyway - just take your time and be systematic in your experiments). 

Good luck,

-Tom

• Like 2

10 hours ago, powdermnky007 said:

Getting some 1982 Cornwalls tomorrow.  My first order of business will be to purchase a crossover upgrade kit from Bob Crites.  Can I listen to them in the mean time?  Could I damage the speakers/drivers by listening to them with the old capacitors?  I'm not going to go crazy with volume.  Nothing more than a watt or two. :)    Please advise.

Thank you

No.  And you might not even need new caps. 

I would enjoy them as-is for a bit first, as was suggested.

There's a chance they might have soldered lug K-55-V midrange compression drivers, in my opinion one of the the best midrange drivers Klipsch has ever made.  If you get them, open them up and see!

16 hours ago, powdermnky007 said:

Getting some 1982 Cornwalls tomorrow. 

Congrats, you should be very pleased.

My first order of business will be to purchase a crossover upgrade kit from Bob Crites. 

If needed.  Previous owner/s may have already refreshed the crossovers.

Can I listen to them in the mean time?

Absolutely.

Could I damage the speakers/drivers by listening to them with the old capacitors?

Never heard of that but be careful with the volume, those babies get loud.

Bill

20 hours ago, powdermnky007 said:

I'll try to report back later today then if time allows.  If you have time, check out my hifi playlist.  Been working on it off and on for several months.

https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/e3acdcad-4509-4db5-8f88-1ffc9d16a167

That playlist covers pretty much every corner of the audiophile universe. Be prepared for a shock: heritage speakers are very unforgiving for bad recording/mastering and will force you to re-evaluate your record/CD collection. That's a positive thing, btw. 

9 minutes ago, powdermnky007 said:

Thanks 😊

Well they are here and they are sound fantastic. They have the b2 crossovers the soldered mid range driver. I got them for 700 and they came with a nice walnut klipsch 10" sub, fairly new Yamaha home theater receiver and Yamaha 5 disc changer. How'd I do? 

$700 for the speakers alone is a very attractive price.

26 minutes ago, powdermnky007 said:

Thanks 😊

Well they are here and they are sound fantastic. They have the b2 crossovers the soldered mid range driver. I got them for 700 and they came with a nice walnut klipsch 10" sub, fairly new Yamaha home theater receiver and Yamaha 5 disc changer. How'd I do? 

I suspect that the "PoPo" will be at your door any minute!!!

Congrats