Concert ticket prices?

DizRotus

biggest regret is seeing blue oyster cult ... granted i wanted to see Molly Hatchet who was opening up for them. but, BOC sucked so bad and the entire trip was a comedy of misfortunes.

I passed on seeing Kansas back in 1979 or so.  Didn’t like the seats available .... i wish now i would have went anyway. 

I saw Elton 10 years ago in concert and had seats at the piano. Best seats I've ever had for any show. Vocal range and tone were WAY down from the 70s made "Yellow Brick Road". What will you get in 2019 with Elton at 72 years of age???  No Way at those ticket prices IMHO. Saw Santana twice over many years too, same problem. Getting old SUX for listeners too.

• Like 2

I just paid $624 for two tickets to see Heart, at the Tacoma Dome last month. My friend paid half, for his ticket. They still sound great, and it was worth it. Of course, we were in row 3 which makes a big difference. The good thing about high ticket prices, it's easier to get good seats.                                                                                                                                                                              These musicians from the golden age aren't getting any younger. If you want to see them, pay the price and enjoy...

• Like 5

How about the worst show I NEVER saw?  Milli Vanilli @ Cleveland Stadium if you can believe that one!  The ex and her sister HAD to go so I put them in row 3 center.  They came back telling me what a GREAT show it was.  I could have cared less but as long as they had fun.  Wasn't long after when the world found out the were lip-syncing everything.  I STILL chuckle when I think of that.  Down side of it though was I had to pay for the tickets!  😂

• Haha 2

I have given up on seeing concerts due to the outrageous prices. Having seen over 600 shows there are not too many bands I have missed or need to see. I saw legendary bands for $10-$15, Allman Brothers, CSN&Y, Stones, Jeff Beck, etc. To drop $600 on a pair of tickets to see a show seems ludicrous to me, very tough to justify.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, RT FAN said:

I have given up on seeing concerts due to the outrageous prices.

Saw RT at an outside venue here in Chattanooga, part of a free  series put on every summer. He was by himself, awesome show, tremendous sense of humor. Saw the Flecktones here twice at the same place. Didn't go at all this year, just too busy with other stuff. David "Fathead" Newman, Turtle Island String Quartet, Sam Bush and lots more.

Bruce

• Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 8:14 PM, HPower said:

Well, I can try to put a little sanity to the norm that has been outlined above .

Last night my wife and I went down to Toronto (about 45minutes south of our home) to see Richard Thompson.

WOW what a show!!!

Eliza Gilkyson opened with a 45 minute set (great in her own right) and then RT came on and did a little shy of 2 hours of some of

the best guitar playing and singing you could imagine.

All this for a bargain of $67 a seat... and that is in Canadian dollars.😎

I was quick on the draw when tickets were announced and was lucky enough to score front row centre, about 10-12 feet from the stage.

Mind you, beer was $11 a can, but one of the best guitar players in the world... PRICELESS. 

That is a pretty typical response from someone who has never seen Richard Thompson. I have heard similar comments, i.e." How is it I never heard of this guy", "Greatest guitarist I never heard of", "Well I've gotten my money's worth" (after two songs.) "Well I am pretty depressed" (From a talented player.) Considering how masterful he is on acoustic guitar, if at all possible he is even more devastating on electric. As one reviewer said his playing is enough to send cocky guitarists back to their practice books. I have said before the best electric guitarist I ever saw was the great Allan Holdsworth, on acoustic guitar the brilliant Leo Kottke. On both, Richard Thompson stands alone.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2019 at 9:57 AM, Speed said:

I just paid $624 for two tickets to see Heart, at the Tacoma Dome last month. My friend paid half, for his ticket. They still sound great, and it was worth it. Of course, we were in row 3 which makes a big difference. The good thing about high ticket prices, it's easier to get good seats.                                                                                                                                                                              These musicians from the golden age aren't getting any younger. If you want to see them, pay the price and enjoy...

Back around 2010, I got to see Dave Brubeck perform.  He was 88 at the time, and his energy level was very low.  This just meant that he played only very low-energy tunes, and it was still great to see and hear him.  He did have some humourous banter between tunes.  The audience laughed when he introduced one particular tune, saying that he wrote it before his band was born.  Since they appeared to be in their sixties or older, it really must have been an oldie.

I would have regretted not going, and I still regret not seeing Prince when he played here, as I posted recently elsewhere.

Most recent regret was not seeing Weird Al Yankovic a couple of months ago.  I had something important the next day, and wanted to be wide awake, so I passed on the concert.  Got to bed at a good time, and then was awake for a few hours in the middle of the night and was useless the next day.  That was a lose-lose.

If you really want to see someone perform, and ticket prices are high, it might be best to just grit your teeth and pay up, for the chance may not come again. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Islander said:

Back around 2010, I got to see Dave Brubeck perform.  He was 88 at the time, and his energy level was very low.  This just meant that he played only very low-energy tunes, and it was still great to see and hear him.  He did have some humourous banter between tunes.  The audience laughed when he introduced one particular tune, saying that he wrote it before his band was born.  Since they appeared to be in their sixties or older, it really must have been an oldie.

I would have regretted not going, and I still regret not seeing Prince when he played here, as I posted recently elsewhere.

If you really want to see someone perform, and ticket prices are high, it might be best to just grit your teeth and pay up, for the chance may not come again. 

No long version of Take Five then?

Brubeck probably avoided the wicked temptations that Prince did not. That said, sometimes the good die old too.

Wb

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Islander said:

I was at the infamous Rolling Stones concert in Los Angeles in 1982 where the opening acts were J. Giels Band, George Thorogood, and Prince. Mr. Prince was really obscene and was boo’ed off the stage in his third song. At that time, I’d never heard of him before. Heard a talking head on ESPN radio relate that same story one day on the radio ... i was like, “Hey, i was there too.”  

after the show, a VW bug was parked on the street blocking the exit from the parking lot. About a dozen of us decided we’d just pick it up and move it ... so we did.  LAPD stops, rolls down the window and says, “just don’t leave it traffic please.”  Then he drives off. 

• Like 1

On 10/18/2019 at 10:54 AM, BigStewMan said:

Hey ... i sat through the movies On Golden Pond and My Favorite Year (well, most of that one) ... i can take one for the team when necessary.  I would have suffered through the entirety of My Favorite Year; but the husband of the couple we were with at the movies, puked in the theatre -- right there in his seat. His wife was so mad and told him that he couldn’t sit around and drink beer after work anymore.  He claimed that it wasn’t the beer; but that the movie was so bad it made him sick.  I think he had a point.

Worst show I ever had to sit through was the off-Broadway version of 'Cats'. Wife dragged me to see it at a theatre in downtown Toronto. Closest I ever came to actually pulling the Fire Alarm and running out of the place screaming!

Wb

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

I was at the infamous Rolling Stones concert in Los Angeles in 1982 where the opening acts were J. Giels Band, George Thorogood, and Prince. Mr. Prince was really obscene and was boo’ed off the stage in his third song. At that time, I’d never heard of him before. Heard a talking head on ESPN radio relate that same story one day on the radio ... i was like, “Hey, i was there too.”  

after the show, a VW bug was parked on the street blocking the exit from the parking lot. About a dozen of us decided we’d just pick it up and move it ... so we did.  LAPD stops, rolls down the window and says, “just don’t leave it traffic please.”  Then he drives off. 

Back then, we'd see concert announcements for Prince on the Buffalo TV stations (I was living in Toronto then), and he was considered to be X-rated at the time, but still interesting.  Then there was the video for When Doves Cry, and nobody wanted to see this guy in his shorts.  Bette Midler joked that "If somebody's going to be a sex symbol, you should know the sex of the symbol."  But he matured, and eventually became great.  When the Beatles went to Hamburg, they were good, but we didn't see them learning how to become great.  Prince didn't have the chance to grow, away from the news, that they did.  So we got to see all his mistakes and false starts.  Even so, he hung in there, and it was worth it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

what a deal ... my wife leaving cost me a half million dollar house!  It’s been 10 years ... i’m beginning to think she isn’t coming back 😁  

Sure, that's rough, but Jeff Bezos's divorce cost him $35 billion, yes, with a "b".  That was the biggest ex-wife payday I ever heard of.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2019 at 8:18 PM, ClaudeJ1 said:

Saw Elton John at Olympia with Kiki Dee opening, back in the 70's at Olympia Stadium, home of the Red Wings then, I'm sure the tickets were less than $10. The best concert I have seen in a long time in Detroit was, surprisingly, TOM JONES at the Detroit Opera House last year. Fantastic show! He had a great band, great guitar player. He did all the hits you would expect and some you would never expect. He still has a powerful voice at almost 78.

My girlfriend at the time won the tickets, which were worth about $250 each. There was not a bad seat in the house and the sound was terrific. She told me she paid $500 to see Paul McCartney and was disappointed at a much larger venue.

I actually worked for the Michigan Opera Theater in the mid 90's and photographed the Grand Opening of their Detroit Opera House, so I was actually PAID to be there. All the top people in Michigan were there, Ford, GM, Chrysler, Presidents, Michigan Governor, Detroit Mayor, etc. The best seat were going for $10,000. My wife's sister was a Ford Motor Exec, and she was in the upper balcony "cheap seats" at only $3,000 each. It was an all-star show. I got some great shots of Luciano Pavarotti on stage, since he was the #1 draw.  Great show, totally goose bumps at all the great voices, including a choir. I was even invited to the after party at the Detroit Athletic Club, where some of the Opera Singers got on stage with the Jazz Band, while I drank Cabernet and cut up a Filet Migon! I got the last shot of Pavarotti sneaking off with his girlfriend, getting into a limo with a stupid looking fishing hat on, as if I wouldn't notice he was leaving, LOL. All the other photographers were too busy, but I was lucky to run down the hall after him and get his face sticking up above the car's roof right before he got in.

But I agree about the outragous prices of some of these concerts. I REFUSE to go to big indoor venues. I'm strictly DTE or Meadowbrook these days, and I won't pay more than $50, which is what I paid to see Jeff Beck, Paul Rogers, and Anne Wilson together in one show. THAT was totally worth it. But, yeah, I'll take concert Blue Rays any day.

Olympia was interesting. I saw Jethro Tull there just months before it was torn down. Ian was awesome. Barrimore Barlow and Martin Barre were equally as good. Being a west Michigan guy now Meijer Garden is fairly priced.