Concert ticket prices?

DizRotus

6 minutes ago, Islander said:

Back then, we'd see concert announcements for Prince on the Buffalo TV stations (I was living in Toronto then), and he was considered to be X-rated at the time, but still interesting.  Then there was the video for When Doves Cry, and nobody wanted to see this guy in his shorts.  Bette Midler joked that "If somebody's going to be a sex symbol, you should know the sex of the symbol."  But he matured, and eventually became great.  When the Beatles went to Hamburg, they were good, but we didn't see them learning how to become great.  Prince didn't have the chance to grow, away from the news, that they did.

i think he came on stage wearing a ladies bikini or something strange like that.  he did two songs then told the crowd to sexually satisfy the person next to them as he began a song from his album Controversy. The song title says it all and if you look up that album, you’ll know exactly which track i’m talking about.  That’s when the crowd started boo’ing and throwing stuff onto the stage. The promoter came on stage and started lecturing the crowd and then he was pelted with garbage too. So, there was a long break before the next band came on.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Wolfbane said:

Worst show I ever had to sit through was the off-Broadway version of 'Cats'. Wife dragged me to see it at a theatre in downtown Toronto. Closest I ever came to actually pulling the Fire Alarm and running out of the place screaming!

Wb

Dude!  anywhere would be bad for that drivel.

2 minutes ago, Audio Flynn said:

Olympia was interesting. I saw Jethro Tull there just months before it was torn down. Ian was awesome. Barrimore Barlow and Martin Barre were equally as good. Being a west Michigan guy now Meijer Garden is fairly priced.

i saw Jethro Tull back in either 1980 or 1981.  Martin Barre is fantastic.  Heard him talk about being in the studio and he said that he had to get the guitar solos right rather quickly or they’d become a flute solo. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, BigStewMan said:

i think he came on stage wearing a ladies bikini or something strange like that.  he did two songs then told the crowd to sexually satisfy the person next to them as he began a song from his album Controversy. The song title says it all and if you look up that album, you’ll know exactly which track i’m talking about.  That’s when the crowd started boo’ing and throwing stuff onto the stage. The promoter came on stage and started lecturing the crowd and then he was pelted with garbage too. So, there was a long break before the next band came on.

Hey, now, that was a show to remember!  It wasn't one of those forgettable concerts where the artists sounded exactly like they did on record, and you wondered why you even went.  Instead, you got a story you could tell for over thirty years, which continues to amuse your audiences.  I was amused.

It makes me think of the time Billy Joel was touring Russia.  The audience really appreciated him, and dancing would break out.  The lighting man would then turn the spotlight on that area, and the young Russian fans would freeze with fright, a response to living in KGB-Land.

Billy got really angry about this, and kept yelling towards the lighting tech to stop it, with no effect.  Finally, he lost it, and tipped over his piano and kicked it to bits.  The audience thought this was part of the show, and and they loved it!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

Oh yeah, the bikini bottom, stockings, and trench coat outfit.  I think he wore that his first time on SNL.

On 10/20/2019 at 12:07 AM, BigStewMan said:

I love the Guess Who and have seen them three times -- ALL outdoors too. 

I “think” the best concert i attended was Queen at the Los Angeles Forum in 1980.  For reasons that i will not go into detail, i don’t remember any of concert.  I remember before and after; but not during. But, the band was in its  heyday so it must have been good. I’ve seen Queen several times and can remember all but that one.  Funny, i saw Queen at the LA Forum in 1980 and they didn’t return to the forum until 2016 or something like that and i saw them again at the forum. 

David Gilmour at the Hollywood Bowl was great.  Roger Waters (twice) at the Hollywood Bowl were great shows. YES in the round back circa 1979 was fantastic. I’ve seen REO Speedwagon several times back when they were still playing rock n roll and put on a great show. 

Seen many other concerts that were good; but just good.  The bands that i mentioned did rise to the top of the shows that i’ve seen. 

I’ve been fortunate in that i’ve got to meet my top three favorite musicians (1) Brian May (several times), (2) Rick Wakeman, and (3) Steve Howe.  Honorable mention to an acquaintance Don Van Vliet, aka Captain Beefheart. We lived in the same town for awhile and met him through a former bandmate of his. Quite a character. in the early 2000s, Rolling Stone Magazine had Trout Mask Replica ranked number 58 in their top 500 albums of all time. RIP Don. 

I saw Queen in 1980 as well, the best light show I've seen

Mark

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Audio Flynn said:

Olympia was interesting. I saw Jethro Tull there just months before it was torn down. Ian was awesome. Barrimore Barlow and Martin Barre were equally as good. Being a west Michigan guy now Meijer Garden is fairly priced.

46 minutes ago, Audio Flynn said:

I saw that Jethro Tull so also. Ian Anderson played a whole bunch of instruments. I like the way the movie began then him jumping out with his flute, seemingly out of the movie. Cool show, great musicianship.

1 hour ago, Islander said:

Back around 2010, I got to see Dave Brubeck perform.  He was 88 at the time, and his energy level was very low.  This just meant that he played only very low-energy tunes, and it was still great to see and hear him.  He did have some humourous banter between tunes.  The audience laughed when he introduced one particular tune, saying that he wrote it before his band was born.  Since they appeared to be in their sixties or older, it really must have been an oldie.

I would have regretted not going, and I still regret not seeing Prince when he played here, as I posted recently elsewhere.

Most recent regret was not seeing Weird Al Yankovic a couple of months ago.  I had something important the next day, and wanted to be wide awake, so I passed on the concert.  Got to bed at a good time, and then was awake for a few hours in the middle of the night and was useless the next day.  That was a lose-lose.

If you really want to see someone perform, and ticket prices are high, it might be best to just grit your teeth and pay up, for the chance may not come again. 

WRT Weird Al:

Welcome to Heaven; here's your Harp!

Welcome to Hell; here's your Accordian! Unless you're French or German than the Devil rewards you with Bag Pipes.

Wb