Concert ticket prices?

DizRotus

Have seen the Beatles, Stones, Queen, Clapton in concert in Holland and the UK.  OK; 20 years ago, but never paid more than $100.  Last "real" concert I went to was Pavarotti in Tampa, FL ... $120 and worth it. But, with inflation, these tickets should not be more than $200 :(  Highway robbery ... I'll do the DVD :D  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, WillyBob said:

you mention PinkFloyd.

it was at one of their shows, that they stopped mid-set to tell folks to sit ... so the folks behinds them could see.

convincing folks to sit at a PF show isn't too tough. They're pretty stoned [for the most part] and are open to suggestion.... lol

I knew Dave Gilmour and the guys were pretty cool, but now I see that they're extra cool and caring.  There's only one front row, but many rows behind it, and we all paid to SEE the show.

I was surprised this summer when we went to the outdoor concerts for Chattanooga's Riverbend Festival. Saw Lionel Richie one night and Keith Urban the next. Exceptional audio for a huge concert, quite surprising, actally. Urban was amazing, prices were about $50 each per day. The party atmosphere is always fun.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Emile said:

Have seen the Beatles, Stones, Queen, Clapton in concert in Holland and the UK.  OK; 20 years ago, but never paid more than $100.  Last "real" concert I went to was Pavarotti in Tampa, FL ... $120 and worth it. But, with inflation, these tickets should not be more than $200 :(  Highway robbery ... I'll do the DVD :D  

Priced a NHL hockey ticket lately? My last tickets were $191 each in CDN bucks and that was on the lower row of the second tier of the arena; closer to the net than the center line. Beer starts at $10.75 a glass and runs $11.25 for a can. My wife likes beer but even she will only have one or two at these prices. The arena food is wildly over-priced and uneatible. :angry2:

It's much cheaper to go watch the Flames play in Arizona than here. 

Wb

• Haha 1

Totally feel your pain,Santana was here this summer just 40 minutes from my home and I live way out in the sticks.

I was excited to see him again since it has been quite a few years,then I saw that tickets started at $300 a piece.

Well there's no way I could justify $600 for me and the wife to go to a concert especially for someone I have seen before,very disappointing.

For that kind of money he should come to my place and play in my living room. lmao!

32 minutes ago, y2keglide said:

For that kind of money he should come to my place and play in my living room.

he probably does ... through your Klipsch speakers.  I’d suggest leaving the wife at home; but, you probably don’t want marriage advice from a divorced guy 😁

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, y2keglide said:

Totally feel your pain,Santana was here this summer just 40 minutes from my home and I live way out in the sticks.

I was excited to see him again since it has been quite a few years,then I saw that tickets started at $300 a piece.

Well there's no way I could justify $600 for me and the wife to go to a concert especially for someone I have seen before,very disappointing.

For that kind of money he should come to my place and play in my living room. lmao!

Paid about that to go see Cher here last Spring. She threw in a couple of free recent CD's that I have not even opened yet. However,  I had to endure listening to 'I got you Babe' again (took nearly a week to get that tune out of my head).

Thank God it wasn't around Xmas or I'd have to endure her rendition of 'Oh Holy Night' ala Letterman. In any case, the wife enjoyed the show and for an old lady Cher still looks pretty good in Hag Putty from 50 feet away.

For $600 Carlo's should arrive in your living room young female groupies in tow.

Wb

• Haha 1

"I Got You Babe"

[Her:]
They say we're young and we don't know
We won't find out until we grow
[Him:]
Well I don't know if all that's true
'Cause you got me, and baby I got you

Babe
[Both:]
I got you babe I got you babe

They say our love won't pay the rent
Before it's earned, our money's all been spent
I guess that's so, we don't have a plot
But at least I'm sure of all the things we got

Babe

I got flowers in the spring
I got you to wear my ring
And when I'm sad, you're a clown
And if I get scared, you're always around

So let them say your hair's too long
'Cause I don't care, with you I can't go wrong
Then put your little hand in mine
There ain't no hill or mountain we can't climb

Babe

I got you to hold my hand
I got you to understand
I got you to walk with me
I got you to talk with me

I got you to kiss goodnight
I got you to hold me tight
I got you, I won't let go
I got you to love me so

I got you babe
I got you babe
I got you babe
I got you babe
I got you babe
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Well, I can try to put a little sanity to the norm that has been outlined above .

Last night my wife and I went down to Toronto (about 45minutes south of our home) to see Richard Thompson.

WOW what a show!!!

Eliza Gilkyson opened with a 45 minute set (great in her own right) and then RT came on and did a little shy of 2 hours of some of

the best guitar playing and singing you could imagine.

All this for a bargain of $67 a seat... and that is in Canadian dollars.😎

I was quick on the draw when tickets were announced and was lucky enough to score front row centre, about 10-12 feet from the stage.

Mind you, beer was $11 a can, but one of the best guitar players in the world... PRICELESS. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 10/18/2019 at 8:17 AM, DizRotus said:

Elton John will be at Little Caesars Arena (LCA) in Detroit in May.  Two concerts sold out quickly, so they added two more shows.  Tickets went on sale to the public yesterday.   I figured they’d be expensive, but I know my wife would enjoy a final opportunity to have a once-in-a-lifetime experience, so I checked them out.  She could not enjoy a concert knowing it cost more than $600.

The least expensive tickets are more than $300 each for bad seats in a hockey arena.  Our older son works for LCA and gave us free tickets to Hall & Oates last year.  We had great seats if we were at a Red Wings game, right at the centerline about twenty rows back, but terrible seats for a concert.  The sound was awful.  Even for FREE I was disappointed.

Those same seats at Elton John would be more than $500 each.  Perhaps Elton has better sound people, but I have a hard time imagining any seat in a hockey rink can be worth those prices. Who pays these prices?  Am I just a tightwad curmudgeon?

Saw Elton John at Olympia with Kiki Dee opening, back in the 70's at Olympia Stadium, home of the Red Wings then, I'm sure the tickets were less than $10. The best concert I have seen in a long time in Detroit was, surprisingly, TOM JONES at the Detroit Opera House last year. Fantastic show! He had a great band, great guitar player. He did all the hits you would expect and some you would never expect. He still has a powerful voice at almost 78.

My girlfriend at the time won the tickets, which were worth about $250 each. There was not a bad seat in the house and the sound was terrific. She told me she paid $500 to see Paul McCartney and was disappointed at a much larger venue.

I actually worked for the Michigan Opera Theater in the mid 90's and photographed the Grand Opening of their Detroit Opera House, so I was actually PAID to be there. All the top people in Michigan were there, Ford, GM, Chrysler, Presidents, Michigan Governor, Detroit Mayor, etc. The best seat were going for $10,000. My wife's sister was a Ford Motor Exec, and she was in the upper balcony "cheap seats" at only $3,000 each. It was an all-star show. I got some great shots of Luciano Pavarotti on stage, since he was the #1 draw.  Great show, totally goose bumps at all the great voices, including a choir. I was even invited to the after party at the Detroit Athletic Club, where some of the Opera Singers got on stage with the Jazz Band, while I drank Cabernet and cut up a Filet Migon! I got the last shot of Pavarotti sneaking off with his girlfriend, getting into a limo with a stupid looking fishing hat on, as if I wouldn't notice he was leaving, LOL. All the other photographers were too busy, but I was lucky to run down the hall after him and get his face sticking up above the car's roof right before he got in.

But I agree about the outragous prices of some of these concerts. I REFUSE to go to big indoor venues. I'm strictly DTE or Meadowbrook these days, and I won't pay more than $50, which is what I paid to see Jeff Beck, Paul Rogers, and Anne Wilson together in one show. THAT was totally worth it. But, yeah, I'll take concert Blue Rays any day.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

"I Got You Babe"

I got you babe

Since it's a 'small, small world', I chose not to read beyond that. ;)

Wellington had his Scots Greys ('the nobelest Cavalry in Europe... and the worst led'); Napoleon answered him with his Polish Lancers (guess what happened to Heavy Cavalry on blown horses when the well-mounted fresh opposition used their Long Sharp Lances?)

However, my reply is from crazy Uncle Walt. Enjoy 🎼:

[Verse 1]
It's a world of laughter, a world of tears
It's a world of hopes and a world of fears
There's so much that we share
That it's time we're aware
It's a small world after all

[Chorus]
It's a small, small world

[Verse 2]
There is just one moon and one golden sun
And a smile means friendship to everyone
Though the mountains divide
And the oceans are wide

[Chorus]
It's a small, small world

45 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Saw Elton John at Olympia with Kiki Dee opening, back in the 70's at Olympia Stadium, home of the Red Wings then, I'm sure the tickets were less than $10. The best concert I have seen in a long time in Detroit was, surprisingly, TOM JONES at the Detroit Opera House last year. Fantastic show! He had a great band, great guitar player. He did all the hits you would expect and some you would never expect. He still has a powerful voice at almost 78.

My girlfriend at the time won the tickets, which were worth about $250 each. There was not a bad seat in the house and the sound was terrific. She told me she paid $500 to see Paul McCartney and was disappointed at a much larger venue.

I actually worked for the Michigan Opera Theater in the mid 90's and photographed the Grand Opening of their Detroit Opera House, so I was actually PAID to be there. All the top people in Michigan were there, Ford, GM, Chrysler, Presidents, Michigan Governor, Detroit Mayor, etc. The best seat were going for $10,000. My wife's sister was a Ford Motor Exec, and she was in the upper balcony "cheap seats" at only $3,000 each. It was an all-star show. I got some great shots of Luciano Pavarotti on stage, since he was the #1 draw.  Great show, totally goose bumps at all the great voices, including a choir. I was even invited to the after party at the Detroit Athletic Club, where some of the Opera Singers got on stage with the Jazz Band, while I drank Cabernet and cut up a Filet Migon! I got the last shot of Pavarotti sneaking off with his girlfriend, getting into a limo with a stupid looking fishing hat on, as if I wouldn't notice he was leaving, LOL. All the other photographers were too busy, but I was lucky to run down the hall after him and get his face sticking up above the car's roof right before he got in.

But I agree about the outragous prices of some of these concerts. I REFUSE to go to big indoor venues. I'm strictly DTE or Meadowbrook these days, and I won't pay more than $50, which is what I paid to see Jeff Beck, Paul Rogers, and Anne Wilson together in one show. THAT was totally worth it. But, yeah, I'll take concert Blue Rays any day.

The two best concerts I ever attended:

- The Guess Who at an outdoor venue (last time this was allowed here I believe).

- Gordon Lightfoot at a small indoor venue in the early 1980's. One man with one chair and a couple of different acoustic guitars. Gordon was visibly not well that night but did not let that stop him from playing and singing for a couple of hours with a couple of encores tossed in.

Probably paid between $10 and $30 for each ticket.

Wb

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wolfbane said:

The two best concerts I ever attended:

I love the Guess Who and have seen them three times -- ALL outdoors too. 

I “think” the best concert i attended was Queen at the Los Angeles Forum in 1980.  For reasons that i will not go into detail, i don’t remember any of concert.  I remember before and after; but not during. But, the band was in its  heyday so it must have been good. I’ve seen Queen several times and can remember all but that one.  Funny, i saw Queen at the LA Forum in 1980 and they didn’t return to the forum until 2016 or something like that and i saw them again at the forum. 

David Gilmour at the Hollywood Bowl was great.  Roger Waters (twice) at the Hollywood Bowl were great shows. YES in the round back circa 1979 was fantastic. I’ve seen REO Speedwagon several times back when they were still playing rock n roll and put on a great show. 

Seen many other concerts that were good; but just good.  The bands that i mentioned did rise to the top of the shows that i’ve seen. 

I’ve been fortunate in that i’ve got to meet my top three favorite musicians (1) Brian May (several times), (2) Rick Wakeman, and (3) Steve Howe.  Honorable mention to an acquaintance Don Van Vliet, aka Captain Beefheart. We lived in the same town for awhile and met him through a former bandmate of his. Quite a character. in the early 2000s, Rolling Stone Magazine had Trout Mask Replica ranked number 58 in their top 500 albums of all time. RIP Don. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

I love the Guess Who and have seen them three times -- ALL outdoors too. 

I “think” the best concert i attended was Queen at the Los Angeles Forum in 1980.  For reasons that i will not go into detail, i don’t remember any of concert.  I remember before and after; but not during. But, the band was in its  heyday so it must have been good. I’ve seen Queen several times and can remember all but that one.  Funny, i saw Queen at the LA Forum in 1980 and they didn’t return to the forum until 2016 or something like that and i saw them again at the forum. 

David Gilmour at the Hollywood Bowl was great.  Roger Waters (twice) at the Hollywood Bowl were great shows. YES in the round back circa 1979 was fantastic. I’ve seen REO Speedwagon several times back when they were still playing rock n roll and put on a great show. 

Seen many other concerts that were good; but just good.  The bands that i mentioned did rise to the top of the shows that i’ve seen. 

I’ve been fortunate in that i’ve got to meet my top three favorite musicians (1) Brian May (several times), (2) Rick Wakeman, and (3) Steve Howe.  Honorable mention to an acquaintance Don Van Vliet, aka Captain Beefheart. We lived in the same town for awhile and met him through a former bandmate of his. Quite a character. in the early 2000s, Rolling Stone Magazine had Trout Mask Replica ranked number 58 in their top 500 albums of all time. RIP Don. 

The GW Album 'Share the Land' was my first full-length album. Got it as an Xmas gift from my 'old square NY uncle and aunt'. All 45's prior to that.

I made the mistake of going to a Beach Boys indoor concert in the early 1980's here pre-Saddledome, so up close and personal. Could not hear anything but my own ears ringing for three days afterward. Live and learn: bring ear plugs.

Queen never played Calgary that I recall or I would have gone for sure. :)

Wb

This could be a separate thread, but what are your greatest concert regrets?  Which concerts do you wish you had attended, but didn’t, and which did you attend, but wish you hadn’t?

I passed on opportunities to hear Roy Orbison in a small venue in Milwaukee, and to hear Dave Brubeck at the Detroit Jazz Festival for free.   Now it’s too late.

• Sad 1

I think we should strike against these ticket prices. I will never go again any cant afford them. 

The one I regret was Frank Zappa who came out by himself with a guitar. Then told the small crowd that if he heard any more boos he would leave. I left...lol

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, DizRotus said:

This could be a separate thread, but what are your greatest concert regrets?  Which concerts do you wish you had attended, but didn’t, and which did you attend, but wish you hadn’t?

I passed on an opportunity to hear Roy Orbison in a small venue in Milwaukee, and to hear Dave Brubeck at the Detroit Jazz Festival for free.   Now it’s too late.

Assuming both were playing concurrently, you can't be in too places at the same time, unless you had already invented a time machine, you at least got to hear the long version of 'Take Five' without having to listen to any Hee Haw! jokes in between sets, (no great guitar playing though): 

2 hours ago, ricktate said:

I think we should strike against these ticket prices. I will never go again any cant afford them. 

The one I regret was Frank Zappa who came out by himself with a guitar. Then told the small crowd that if he heard any more boos he would leave. I left...lol

Was there 'Smoke on the Water at the Time? ;)

To a great extent; musicians, like Hollywood actors and pro sports teams, have for the most part forgotten what its like to work really hard for your money and now believe that greed is a terrible thing to waste. The philosopy as always is 'if God had not made us sheep we would not get sheared'! 🐑

They also think that they have been given a platform from their social media and other followers to tell us what to think, whom to vote for and how to live our daily lives. All the while their preaching 'do as I say and not as I do'!

Wb

9 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

I love the Guess Who and have seen them three times --.                    

I saw them in the '90's reunited with Randy B. and it was a fantastic show ,they did both Guess Who and BTO stuff.

Bonus : Joe Cocker was also there and best off all I got free tickets in a private booth with a wet bar from a lumber salesman I dealt with when I was building cabinets.