Subwoofer effect on high frequencies?!

MechEngVic

I was moving my subwoofer around in my listening area trying to improve the synergy between it and the main speakers. I put it in a spot where I thought the bass sounded better, but when I sat down to listen, I felt like I had lost some coherence and imaging, and within a few minutes I started getting a headache. It occurred to me to try the phase switch on the sub... And BAM!!!  Everything gelled! My sub must have been out of phase (even in its original position) and when I moved it, it started playing nicer with the room but finished going out of phase with the speakers (at least it sounds like that's what happened). The thing is, the high frequency imaging seems to have improved more than even before I started moving the sub around. It must have been already partially out of phase...?  I guess it makes sense that low, out of phase waves could affect all frequencies, but the difference is significant. Am I just hearing things or can an out of phase sub notably dampen your high frequency output?

12 hours ago, JohnA said:

Suppose you had a kick drum with a pedal slap.  If the thump was out of phase/time with the slap, how would it sound?  If the were in phase would the HF seem cleaner?

This is exactly the effect I was dealing with. I was getting the upper frequency registry of the sound and a boomy low registry. Now I am getting a tight slap and thump. I was missing information and getting muddy bass. Imaging is improved, better midrange crunch, and more brassy sounding highs, more "klack" less "hiss".