Watch out Jimmy!!

Mighty Favog

She’s very good.  I’m not a guitarist, but it seemed to me she moved the strings side to side along the neck with her left hand more than I would expect.  I thought the strings would be more taut.   Apparently, I was mistaken.  The linked vintage video of Jimmy Page playing the same song shows similar lateral movement of the strings by his left hand.  What say you Steve @BigStewMan or any other experts?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DizRotus said:

She’s very good.  I’m not a guitarist, but it seemed to me she moved the strings side to side along the neck with her left hand more than I would expect.  I thought the strings would be more taut.   Apparently, I was mistaken.  The linked vintage video of Jimmy Page playing the same song shows similar lateral movement of the strings by his left hand.  What say you Steve @BigStewMan or any other experts?

string bending is an art in itself and, in my opinion, the master of it is David Gilmour.  sure the final note can be had otherwise; but the bending up a half-note or a full-note brings a form of expression that you wouldn’t get otherwise. i find it creates an emotion for the music. Taut?  you are increasing the string tension when you bend it ... thus the higher pitch. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

I get that, but I thought the strings started out so taut that that much defection from straight would not be possible. 

Not at all ... there is far more “give” than you think. Plus, as you may know, there are different gauges of strings. Gauges are measured in thousandths of an inch.  you can get something very light for your high E string that is .008 (generally just referred to as “eights”) and they are very thin, easy to play and very easy to bend. They also break easily.   Eights would be considered very light and 12s heavy. But there is a lot of play in them. String bending occurs in most genres of music ... probably not in Classical though.

Sorry that i’m not a teacher so my explanation is probably not as easily understood as someone more eloquent.  Perhaps Bruce @Marvelcan explain it better ... he’s a sharp guy and he knew Gary Richrath -- who could bend a few strings masterfully himself. 

if strings were as taut as you thought, i’d be unable to play. I have arthritis in my fingers and wouldn’t be able to press them down for long ... as it is, i can’t play Barre Chords for longer than a few minutes before my hands are demanding a break. Thus my love for lead guitar work ... much more comfortable and quite a bit easier if you ask this rhythmically challenged guy.