Improve my 2.1(2?) setup

the5chord

Just picked up some Heresy II’s.

I am using a Harmon Kardon 3380 and 2 of those Pioneer Andrew Jones Subwoofers.

I like the sound mostly. With certain songs I don’t feel like the bass is blending well with the speakers. Would a sealed sub work better?

Might pick up a HK 3490 or vintage amp. Don’t probably have the cash for any tube amps that don’t say Vox or Fender on them. 

Do I need to be recapping these Heresies now?

I do love the Heresy sound. Biggest complaint is that I wish they were not black.

Welcome.

If the caps are not leaking, stick with the originals. Recapping won't improve the lows. Recapping will change the personality of your speakers slightly. 

Bass greatly depends on mastering and medium. Also, give yourself the time to 'burn in' your ears/brain. 

My Heresy's play very well with a 3W Tubecube vacuum amp, which is entry level priced. 

My 2 cents.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ILI said:

Welcome.

If the caps are not leaking, stick with the originals. Recapping won't improve the lows. Recapping will change the personality of your speakers slightly. 

Bass greatly depends on mastering and medium. Also, give yourself the time to 'burn in' your ears/brain. 

My Heresy's play very well with a 3W Tubecube vacuum amp, which is entry level priced. 

My 2 cents.

That little tube amp seems interesting. Is there a way I could use it and keep my subs running with the Hersies?

2 hours ago, the5chord said:

Is there a way I could use it and keep my subs running with the Hersies?

Yes, but I have not done this myself. 

You need an external crossover between your tube amp and speakers (subs included). That crossover sends the high frequencies to the Heresies and the lows to the subs. "I use a low-level active crossover to drive them only above 40 Hz, with the bass handled by a stereo pair of B&W ASW 800 subwoofers, but that's just me." https://www.kenrockwell.com/audio/tubedepot/tubecube-7.htm