First pair of la scalas!

-Russian-Spy-

I picked up my first pair this last week!  Its my first time really sitting down with theese and needless to say i am very impressed.  I bought them without crossovers, so i set them up in a 3 way mono, and after listening for a few days i can safely say i am hooked.  These are very natural and fun speakers.  I can also see how many are into modifications with these, i already swapped the original tweeter lense with an ev t35 chrome back lense, same phase plug, but way beefier, and the difference is quite substantial to me.  Anyway, ill be having questions regarding upgrade paths in the near future.  

• Like 1

What you describe might be an Electro Voice T350 tweeter.  It is somewhat rare and expensive.

Please, what do you mean by 3 way mono?  Do you have one speaker running ?   

I'm a bit concerned that you might be describing running the tweeter (and midrange) without a crossover -- which is dangerous to the tweeter particularly.  At the very least you need a capacitor in series with the tweeter.  An A type crossover or replacement from Crites is a better minimum.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GKLB_enUS688US688&sxsrf=ACYBGNQxldxO5zREC9TSBEnsBiq-87KoeA:1571559451960&q=t-350+EV&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwialoKXs6rlAhUGd6wKHZpOCoUQ7Al6BAgIECQ&biw=1280&bih=579

WMcD

• Like 1

Looks like that one use to have a full grill on it probably why the dog house is painted black.. Does it still have a sticker on back ? hat is the serial number stamped in the edge of the back. 

First thing I would do is get new mid range washers or use O-rings like I did. I think type A crossover sounds best but thats up to you. I also think Bob Crites tweeter mod is better than that T 35. His 4500hz mod also takes the load off the mid driver much like the newest crazy priced LaScalas do. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ricktate said:

Looks like that one use to have a full grill on it probably why the dog house is painted black.. Does it still have a sticker on back ? hat is the serial number stamped in the edge of the back. 

First thing I would do is get new mid range washers or use O-rings like I did. I think type A crossover sounds best but thats up to you. I also think Bob Crites tweeter mod is better than that T 35. His 4500hz mod also takes the load off the mid driver much like the newest crazy priced LaScalas do. 

The cabinets werw originally birch black, they have been vaneered with custom moldings around the front. I kept the k77's in, and just swapped the lense, happen to know where to find mid washers?

6 hours ago, -Russian-Spy- said:

... happen to know where to find mid washers?

Bob C. has some he can send in an envelope pretty cheaply and quick. There is a minimum order if you aren't buying anything else. They are on this page.

https://critesspeakers.com/prices-other_stuff.html

It is still not clear to me what you are doing.

I will echo WMcD's concern. I hope the tweeter is not getting a full bandwidth signal. It needs to be a high-passed signal (somewhere above 4-6 kHz). Otherwise the diaphragm on the tweeter will be trashed (a non-technical term). The diaphragms are difficult to come by and expensive. The crossover does not need to be fancy or expensive, but it is a critical "insurance policy". 

Good Luck,

-Tom

1 hour ago, PrestonTom said:

It is still not clear to me what you are doing.

I will echo WMcD's concern. I hope the tweeter is not getting a full bandwidth signal. It needs to be a high-passed signal (somewhere above 4-6 kHz). Otherwise the diaphragm on the tweeter will be trashed (a non-technical term). The diaphragms are difficult to come by and expensive. The crossover does not need to be fancy or expensive, but it is a critical "insurance policy". 

Good Luck,

-Tom

I have a switchable 2 way stereo/3way mono crossover, everything is crossed and amplified correctly. I do appreciate the concerns, but i can assure it is correctly setup. 

Someone did a very nice cosmetic upgrade to them!  Congrats! 

More details, please.  The components, music you like and the amps you will use will help with the crossover recommendation. 

I will also recommend you consider wrapping the K-400 with Dynamat, or equal, and tightly stuffing the upper cabinet with pillows or pillow fill. 

10 hours ago, JohnA said:

Someone did a very nice cosmetic upgrade to them!  Congrats! 

More details, please.  The components, music you like and the amps you will use will help with the crossover recommendation. 

I will also recommend you consider wrapping the K-400 with Dynamat, or equal, and tightly stuffing the upper cabinet with pillows or pillow fill. 

I already did the pillow fill, i listen to alot of house, disco and dance music, but i also listen to folk, bluegrass, and some classic rock.  I think im going to either build some crossovers (with the help of another member) or grab some crites.  I think my plan is to biamp with a 510, but thats a bit down the road. The serials read, 22t697, so they are 79's if i underatand that correctly. They have k43 woofers, k55v's and a k77m and a k77, so mismatched tweeters.