LaScala finish question

Don McPhee

LSBR , LaScala raw birch..... I assume these are not a veneer? If not do you recommend finishing these off with a tongue oil or sealer or???? 
Is raw birch a desired finish?? Are they hard to come by??

What time period we’re these offered?

Thanks for the info!!

Cheers

There was a publication by PWK regarding the LaScala in 1965 and I can only think that the birch raw version became available about that time.  The LaScala II replaced the LaScala about a decade ago though others here might have better info.  

The birch raw plywood has a top veneer of birch and therefore it is technically a veneer but not the furniture-type walnut or cherry.  The raw birch were, I think, the lowest cost versions -- and not rare at all.  They were available in black at some point.  

Please give us more information on the condition of the cabinet with pictures and also your goals. They will take a light sanding with a sanding block and fine or very fine paper without much of a threat to sanding through the top veneer.  Every one will tell you to be careful -- which is always good advice. 

Lacquer will darken or warm the appearance the least.  There are various wipe on "oil" finishes which will give good results but will darken or warm.  You must experiment on an incospicuous spot, like the bottom hatch.  "Tung" oil is one of them.  

What is sold as Tung oil deserves a very thoughtful reading of the label.  Some is "Tung oil finish" which means it contains some oil from the tung nut but also contains regular varnish.  My pet peave.  

It is too big a subject to discuss the various modern wipe on finishes such as Watco and Minwax poly.

WMcD

• Like 2

Suggest either completely black or natural stain to bring up the grain.

I don't like black and did Natural , watco oil  or min wax works well.

I don't like polyurethane on speakers or fine furnture

it makes it very difficult if you want to change the look or freshen it up.

I would do Watco Natural Oil, one application, then wait a few months to see

if you want to bring the grain up a bit more.

I believe the common practice to treat birch with a conditioner then stain and finally finish with poly, lacquer, or an oil like boiled linseed.  Since mine needed some repairs, I paid to have a pro do it.  The stain is Min-Wax red mahogany, finished with a water-based satin polyurethane.  My boys were 6 and 8 at the time.  I do not know if he used a conditioner.