Do capacitors have a 'burn in' time?

MeloManiac

10 hours ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

You must have an audio system with resolution, a system that discerns this, and simply "normal" GOD-given ears / senses that allow us hear this.

My system is not really high end or expensive, but pretty decent, and I must say that the speakers sound even better with my tiny Tubecube.

Here's Mr Crites answer to this question that contradicts most the answers posted.  I have no opinion either way, just another answer to consider.  

Q:  Do components have a break-in time?

A:  Some do and some don't.  Capacitors would be a definite NO.  Let's look at this one a bit.  

You have new good quality capacitors installed in your crossovers.  Capacitors have exactly two qualities that effect the sound of your music that goes through them.  Those are capacitance (what we use them for) and ESR.  ESR is the sum of all other qualities of a capacitor other than capacitance expressed as an Equivalent Series Resistance.  ESR is a bad thing.  Good caps have ESR so low it is barely measurable, on the order of  a couple of hundredths of an ohm.  ESR is made up of stuff like the resistance of the leads and their connections to the foil inside the capacitor or stray inductance or dielectric absorption.

So, we put our new caps in the crossovers.  These new caps are right on the capacitance value the design calls for and the ESR is almost unmeasurably low.  What exactly of these two qualities do you expect to change with break-in?  And if either of them changed, why would you expect the sound to get better since the only way they could change is to go away from the "perfect" values they had to start with?  I hope any caps you use in your crossovers are good enough that they do not change at all for many years of use.

Q:  But my speakers sound so bright after putting in the new caps that I have to hope they change with break-in.  In fact I am pretty sure they are getting better as I listen longer.  They must be changing.

A:  Sounding brighter is a good thing.  That means your old caps were really bad and had high ESR.  That high ESR had the impedance all upset on the crossovers and you had the drivers all trying to play at the wrong frequencies.  Also, the high ESR was directly attenuating the high frequencies.  Now with the new good caps, the frequency and level relationships are back to where the factory had them when the speakers were new.  The fact that you think they are changing now is because you are getting used to them sounding like they should.  The break in is occurring but it is inside your head instead of inside the speakers.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Deang said:

The only thing worse than a wire thread is a component burn in thread. Things do what they do, or not - either way - it's not exactly earth shattering.

It is if you're not drinking bourbon......in copious quantities..... 

1 hour ago, HDBRbuilder said:

When audio stuff is involved there is almost always a burn-in time involved....but with wives, it seems that the burn-OUT time takes lots longer....so far....LOL!

My experience with women and burn out is but ... short.

29 minutes ago, billybob said:

My experience with women and burn out is but ... short.

I have been married twice, so I get to work off of an AVERAGE....using only my first wife, I would have to say things are about the same as electronics' burn-in times...BUT, with my current wife figured into the average, it has so far been a pretty-long time, lucky me, huh?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Bye the way folks, my current wife of over a decade has NEVER EVEN HEARD KLIPSCH SPEAKERS...YET!  She's heard large horn speakers....built locally,  based upon pics in magazines....some are very close to being MWM's....in appearance, anyway!  And she loves them, too!  Karaoke is a mass-hysteria thing and has been for decades...throughout the Philippines.  I can just hear her now, when she hears my Klipsch...."I love it, dear, now I can sing as loud as I want to, because I won't have to hear my own voice with these!"  Ya see?...her favorite excuse whenever somebody hands her the mic when karaoke-ing and tells her it is her turn...is...at least until she has consumed enough alcohol, anyway...is "Oh, no thank you, I love the song, but the song doesn't love me!"  And everybody laughs and somebody else gets her turn!  All Filipinos love three things in life: music/singing, dancing of all kinds, and FOOD!  In that order!  SHE GONNA HAVE SOME FUNNNNNNN!

• Like 3

@HDBRbuilder   When we were married here in the States, a filipina niece and husband were at the house for a couple of days. They had brought their karaoke machine with them. I had it plugged into the system with my LS. After he had been singing a while he commented on how great it sounded. As he leaned in toward the speakers he said, "oh... they're Klipsch... no wonder."

Later, when we visited their house, I found out they had Bose ht cubes. Such is life. We often forget how great our Klipsch systems are, because they are our normal.

• Like 1