RTR Owners - What do You Use to Clean the Heads?

Wolfbane

***Mods please feel free to move if I put this into the wrong forum here.***

My 99.9% Isopropol alcohol is dried out and I can't find anything stronger than 95% 'Rubbibg Alcohol'. I believe this is a no go for proper cleaning.

So what do you use that is readily available to clean your tape heads assuming you do so?

Wb

Technics 1506 Heads2.jpg

Back when I used reel to reel, I found that some alcohol leaves a residue.  I think it depends on what the other 1% with 99% or the other 5% with 95% is.   You can compare various brands by putting some drops on a clean piece of glass and letting it dry, then looking for a residue. 

Swan has some 99% isopropyl.  I haven't tested it for residue.  I would definitely use 99%, or stronger.

There are other tape head cleaners, but some are quite toxic and bad for you and the environment.

6 hours ago, baron167 said:

Where are you located? If you can't find it, order it.

MG Chemicals 824-1L 99.9% Isopropyl Alcohol Liquid Cleaner, Clear , 945 mL (1 US Quart) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005DNQX3C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_qpjRDbWB4JR0S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GWN until later this week. 

Got it thanks @ 99.9% Alcohol content. I pulled the MSDS. Not rubbing alcohol. Took the head assembly right off and cleaned the dickens out of the tape path until everything came back clean. Did not demagnatize, although I do own one. Plus a giant mother of a 10.5" reel demagnifier.

Wb

• Like 1