Chorus I vs CF-4(v.3)

Mr._Music_Fan

So I recently acquired a mint set of CF-4’s and I’m gobsmacked with them. They replaced my  front L & R for my home theater, the solders they relieved were R26-F, and it ain’t even close — not even by a parsec. 

So hearing such detail and richness in the sound has invariably made me question whether I should move my newly recapped Chorus I to my home theater and promote the CF-4 to the audio room.  Yes, the CF-4 seem to be that good - epic sounding! 

So here I turn to y’all, what do y’all think? Fully recapped + Crites Titanium Tweeter Chorus I vs bone stock CF-4? Thoughts, opinions, suggestions? 

ps. If @Chief bonehead is reading this, thank you for designing such glorious ear candy machines. 

• Like 1

congrats on the new epics!  

as good as chorus are, i think the cf-4 (regardless of version) is the better speaker.  mainly due to the fact that dual 12" woofers will move a LOT more air than 1 15" woofer.  plus the d'appolito array makes for better imaging & keeps the possibly overly strong mid range of the chorus to a minimum.  & the epics will do just as well in home theater as with 2ch music so its your calll after comparing them which one goes where. 

i have owned both & prefer the epic over the chorus(2)... but dont get me wrong, i love my chorus2 also & still own them.  i regretfully sold the epics to help fund k-horns.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, avguytx said:

Me personally, I'd stay with the CF-4's of any iteration...the version doesn't matter that much in the grand scheme of things.  

This ^^^^^^^ owned them and the Chorus, I like the Epics better but I do tend to prefer 2 ways. They are special speakers for sure and that "poor mans K510 horn" is pretty darn good. Congrats those are keepers.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, rockhound said:

This ^^^^^^^ owned them and the Chorus, I like the Epics better but I do tend to prefer 2 ways. They are special speakers for sure and that "poor mans K510 horn" is pretty darn good. Congrats those are keepers.

And if I've read correctly, and anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it mentioned that the Cownwall IV mid horn a "modified" version of the CF-3/4 horn?  

• Like 1

I am actually here because of the CF-4. I have a buddy thats been in the audio business for 40 years, Klipsch dealer as well as other fine speakers. Also McIntosh, Yamaha, Pioneer, etc anyway he has been watching me collect these Heritage for a long time, and has always told me the CF-4 was the best sounding speaker Klipsch has ever made, i paid him no mind. So i now have Khorns x 2, LaScala's x 2, Chorus ll, Forte ll, Quartet, and several Heresy's. My main amps are Mac MC-7150 w MX113 pre, Yamaha B2, Pioneer sx1250 and 80, and a ton of smaller stuff. I went to his house couple days ago, sat for 2 hours listening, brought my own music, then went home and listened to same stuff again. My conclusion, and this is killin me, those CF-4's sound better than anything i own. period. He has been telling me this forever and i wouldnt listen, they are the only true audiophile speakers PWK ever built. Now i know yall are gonna ask, he was using a Simply Italy 12w tube amp, and had it set up in a small 12 x 20 metal building. You would think my Mac hooked to Klipschorns, all set up right, would sound better, but it dont. Look at their design, horn in the middle, driver above and below, that projection, whatever it is, sounds far superior

• Like 3

7 hours ago, rockhound said:

Chorus 1's are fantastic speakers but those large mid horns on the CF-4 really open up the sound. You should do a side by side to really hear the differences and judge for yourself, it would be interesting to read your impressions.

• Like 1

After having a full night to listen to the CF-4’s, I still cannot believe how amazing they sound. The detail, clarity and realism is beyond anything else Klipsch I’ve heard, including K-horns or LaScalas. 

i am going to move them into the music room to a/b them against the Chorus. My bet is the chorus are going to be reassigned to home theater duty. 

44 minutes ago, Mr._Music_Fan said:

After having a full night to listen to the CF-4’s, I still cannot believe how amazing they sound. The detail, clarity and realism is beyond anything else Klipsch I’ve heard, including K-horns or LaScalas. 

i am going to move them into the music room to a/b them against the Chorus. My bet is the chorus are going to be reassigned to home theater duty. 

and you thought i was nuts lol, its been 2 days and i still cant get over it. I guess the search begins, and i thought i was done when i got my Khorns