Next Upgrade from La Scala II

JFHSQT

I'm starting to consider what my options may be in upgrading from the La Scala IIs, which I have owned and loved for a couple of years now. I have all my electronics settled at this point and don't see any further upgrades in that area for a long time. So I'm turning my attention to the speakers, which I plan to be my LAST speaker purchase, so I want to make the right choices here.

My signal is currently an all-digital front end (Innuos server, Chord M Scaler & TT2), Backert Labs Rhumba Extreme preamp, and Luxman MQ-88uSE valve amp. 

What I would like to improve on the La Scala IIs is a bit smoother midrange with more cohesiveness from the top to bottom end (I am currently supporting the bottom end with dual SVS SB2000 subs). What I absolutely don't want to sacrifice is the scale, dynamics, and speed of the La Scala IIs. There are very few, if any, speakers I can think of that do what the La Scala IIs do so well in those departments. SO the last thing I want to do is spend thousands of dollars then have buyer's remorse because I've sacrificed one of those other areas. 

Aesthetics are somewhat of a factor. I want large form factor speakers that "fit" in a furniture sense and have a timeless aesthetic. 

Unfortunately I have not heard any of the options I'm about to list here, but have done extensive research on reviews and owner feedback. 

I'm looking at a few options - one would be the most expensive and the riskiest which is the Tannoy Canterbury GRs. I absolutely love the look of the Tannoy. I love the history of the company, and I believe the engineering of the Tannoys would definitely show benefits on the smoother midrange and cohesiveness of the sound. However I am a little skeptical they would match the scale and dynamics of the La Scala IIs. So this could be a compromise and I'm pretty wary of that. Plus they are very pricey.

Next option, I guess the most obvious, would be the new AK6 Klipschorns. They seem to check every box in terms of upgrading from the La Scala IIs. I am not concerned in the least about JA's recent Stereophile measurements, and it seems like Dudley claimed my exact amp (the Luxman) sounded marvelous with the Klipschorns. I do have 2 corners in my listening room, in fact my La Scala IIs are currently corner loaded on the short wall, about 15' apart and they sound marvelous. But I am a little concerned that the improvements I am looking for in the midrange could be incremental. I want the upgrade to be a "buy it for life" upgrade and I'm not sure I wouldn't get an upgrade itch a couple of years into ownership with the Klipschorns. 

The other most recent option has been looking into Jubilees. I will say I am not a huge fan of the bass bin aesthetic of the Jubes. They do kind of look a little industrial and 1990s to me. Again, size is not a factor, but I don't want an eyesore as the main focal point in the room. However it seems like all of the great things I am reading about the Jubes could potentially be seen by holding on to my La Scala II bass bins and just replacing the tophat with the 402 horn. In this configuration I could see setting the 402 on top of the La Scala II bass bin, and continuing to use my SB2000 subs (sent out from my preamp). This option could retain all of the great things about the La Scala IIs that I love and improve the midrange and scale of the speakers. 

However with that option... I am kind of a "set it and forget it" guy and not comfortable in any way setting active crossovers and doing external amps to power bass bins, etc. I'm wondering if it is even possible to just add the 402 to the La Scala IIs and use it in the way I am thinking without a whole lot of tinkering around with crossover settings etc. 

Given what I've mentioned above, can I get some feedback on what option may be the way to go here? 

Thanks!

I honestly don't know if this is even possible, but have you considered (upgrading) your La Scala IIs to the new AL5 configuration?  Klipsch has in the past sold kits to update speakers, such as from the Heresy II to Heresy III, but I don't know if they would be willing or able to do the same with the La Scala II.  Might be worth a question via email or phone call to the powers that be.....please keep us posted as I'm sure there are others that might be interested.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

I honestly don't know if this is even possible, but have you considered (upgrading) your La Scala IIs to the new AL5 configuration?  Klipsch has in the past sold kits to update speakers, such as from the Heresy II to Heresy III, but I don't know if they would be willing or able to do the same with the La Scala II.  Might be worth a question via email or phone call to the powers that be.....please keep us posted as I'm sure there are others that might be interested.

That may be an option, however if I was going to stick with the La Scala I'd probably just upgrade entirely to the AL5. I think the cabinet bracing is different and it may have some design changes that go beyond the electronics/components. I currently have the walnut LS IIs but those matte black with the silver grilles are mighty nice looking. 

2 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

I am trying to remember if this is possible. For some reason I am thinking the motorboard for the mid tweeter section has changed.

2 hours ago, JFHSQT said:

The other most recent option has been looking into Jubilees. I will say I am not a huge fan of the bass bin aesthetic of the Jubes. They do kind of look a little industrial and 1990s to me. Again, size is not a factor, but I don't want an eyesore as the main focal point in the room. However it seems like all of the great things I am reading about the Jubes could potentially be seen by holding on to my La Scala II bass bins and just replacing the tophat with the 402 horn. In this configuration I could see setting the 402 on top of the La Scala II bass bin, and continuing to use my SB2000 subs (sent out from my preamp). This option could retain all of the great things about the La Scala IIs that I love and improve the midrange and scale of the speakers. 

The Jubilee is superior to the La Scala in  every way. The idea of a 402 horn on the La Scala bass bin being anything even remotely as capable as the Jubilee is not correct. The Jubes will beat up the La Scalas all day long in every way. The Jubes are cheaper than the KHorns and much more speaker. Basically the Jubes beat anything in the Heritage line with ease and what you have to decide is form over function or function over form. The very best sound from Klipsch does not have veneer so you want pretty or awesome sound? That having been said by the way if I wanted pretty the new Cornwall is better than the newest La Scala in my book, both of which I have heard. I have not heard the newest KHorn and am relying on those who have to form my opinion on what is best.

You mention not having heard many of these potential options. Very first thing I would do would be to find people on this forum who own what I am interested in and go hear them in person. BEFORE I bought anything. You go hear a set of Jubes and you will forget real quick wanting another decorator matching piece of furniture to coordinate with your decore and discover instead the world of hi end audio.

Something I puzzle over with people looking to match room decore as a serious part of audio selection is this. If a speaker box offends you find a way to disguise it. Get a silk screen something or another with your favorite picture on it and put it in front of the Jubes and then the black box looking thing won't bother you. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

I am trying to remember if this is possible. For some reason I am thinking the motorboard for the mid tweeter section has changed.

2 hours ago, JFHSQT said:

The Jubilee is superior to the La Scala in  every way. The idea of a 402 horn on the La Scala bass bin being anything even remotely as capable as the Jubilee is not correct. The Jubes will beat up the La Scalas all day long in every way. The Jubes are cheaper than the KHorns and much more speaker. Basically the Jubes beat anything in the Heritage line with ease and what you have to decide is form over function or function over form. The very best sound from Klipsch does not have veneer so you want pretty or awesome sound? That having been said by the way if I wanted pretty the new Cornwall is better than the newest La Scala in my book, both of which I have heard. I have not heard the newest KHorn and am relying on those who have to form my opinion on what is best.

You mention not having heard many of these potential options. Very first thing I would do would be to find people on this forum who own what I am interested in and go hear them in person. BEFORE I bought anything. You go hear a set of Jubes and you will forget real quick wanting another decorator matching piece of furniture to coordinate with your decore and discover instead the world of hi end audio.

Something I puzzle over with people looking to match room decore as a serious part of audio selection is this. If a speaker box offends you find a way to disguise it. Get a silk screen something or another with your favorite picture on it and put it in front of the Jubes and then the black box looking thing won't bother you. 

1 hour ago, Dave A said:

That having been said by the way if I wanted pretty the new Cornwall is better than the newest La Scala in my book, both of which I have heard. I have not heard the newest KHorn and am relying on those who have to form my opinion on what is best.

Thanks - in what way would you say the new Cornwall bests the La Scala? I am interested your impressions on what you heard. Just from the outside perspective of not having heard them yet it is hard for me to figure that Cornwalls would best the La Scala in terms of scale (enormous sound even at low volume) and dynamics. For example, I have Monitor Audio Gold 200s sitting next to my La Scala IIs that I use for my home theater. There are several things I think the Monitor Audio does better than the La Scala IIs, but I would never listen to music through them because the things I love about the La Scala IIs, they cannot touch. 

2 minutes ago, JFHSQT said:

Thanks - in what way would you say the new Cornwall bests the La Scala? I am interested your impressions on what you heard. Just from the outside perspective of not having heard them yet it is hard for me to figure that Cornwalls would best the La Scala in terms of scale (enormous sound even at low volume) and dynamics. For example, I have Monitor Audio Gold 200s sitting next to my La Scala IIs that I use for my home theater. There are several things I think the Monitor Audio does better than the La Scala IIs, but I would never listen to music through them because the things I love about the La Scala IIs, they cannot touch. 

OK switching from speaker to speaker with the same input wattage the db output from the La Scala was the clear winner. However the La Scala has some resonance issues at certain frequencies and certain instruments that is very distracting to me and the Cornwall didn't. I have two sets of LSI's in my shop right now I am working on and heard the same annoying problem in Hope so now I know it is not just these La Scalas I have here. EQ has helped here to mute this problem but I have found no way to eliminate it entirely.  The La Scala was brighter and drums would impact you more. The Cornwall beat the La Scala silly in bass. The Cornwall was, to me, far more balanced and just as articulate and played anything with great clarity and no annoying resonance problems. 

I would far rather listen to any of my favorites on the Cornwalls and feed them more watts to get there. I write this shaking my head as I have spent some time boasting of Chorus over Cornwalls, which is still true for everything up until now. You turn these new Cornwalls up and the La Scalas just don't cut it at the same db level from low to high volumes. The presence is just startling to me. Don't take my word for this but go and hear a set before you buy anything.

Oh and Jubes are the KING and you cheat yourself by not giving those a listen to. The new Cornwalls are much prettier if that seriously matters and are a big step up from La Scalas in my book.

Jubes #1   New Cornwall #2 and La Scala #3

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We listened to the Cornwall IVs much of this weekend at Chief Bonehead's Deep Dive Information class.  They are excellent and I liked them better than the La Scala IIs sitting next to them.  The midrange is clear and "udderly" realistic.  I thought the blend with the tweeter was perfect.  There was a little difference in the bass (other than the low notes the CW can hit).  LS IIs are no slouch.

Other than the aesthetic of Jubilees, they check all your boxes and I would recommend them first.  The AK6 K-horn has the possibility of doing it, too, with the new tweeter and network, but I haven't heard them so, you have to find a pair and listen. 

Where do you live?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Dave A and @JohnA - the Cornwalls were actually not even on my radar but it seems like they deserve an audition for sure. I have heard the Cornwall IIIs and they did not match or exceed the listening experience with my La Scala IIs. I've owned or still own Heresy IIIs, La Scala IIs, and for a brief time the Forte IIIs (and heard the Cornwall IIIs). The La Scala IIs are the closest to "live" I have ever heard which is why I love them so much and I'm interested in wringing out that last 3% with a potential upgrade (without losing what I love about the LSIIs). 

I want to mention, when I talk about "aesthetic" I'm not some lifestyle-only guy who needs my speakers to match my bookshelves, etc. There are much "prettier" speakers than the La Scala IIs for example. Hell I consider both my 70th Anniversary Indian rosewood Heresy IIIs and piano ebony Monitor Audio Golds to be better looking than the La Scala. But they will never measure up when it comes to sound! When I sit down in my room to listen to music, it's usually after a 10-12 hour work day and I have a couple hours to relax and do some critical listening... surroundings and aesthetic is a factor in that. I don't want to sit in a bare room with speaker wire hanging everywhere, I just want to "feel good" about the experience and calm down my brain.  This is a dedicated media room, not a living room or other shared space in the house. So I'm not trying to appease a spouse or anything like that. To some degree, looking at Jubilees kind of struck me as a very industrial speaker that honestly kind of looks like one of those early 90's rear projection TVs. All that being said, if I listen to them and they knock my socks off then I am sure I could make them work in this room. On the other hand I feel like it's worth checking out all my options and weighing them against each other. 

I am in southwest VA by the way, so unfortunately I don't know of any Jubilees in the area. I am going to Capital Audiofest next weekend and perhaps will be able to hear the Cornwall IVs and new Klipschorns. 

full-theater-091519.jpg

• Like 2

I am biased, but Jubilees are going to get the better of all the competition.

They are big, but they can be tucked into a corner (makes a difference). They can also be made to look a bit less industrial (many have posted some nice examples). They can also be disguised so they don't stand out quite so much (my own strategy). 

They really do sound that good. 

Good luck,

-Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, JohnA said:

We listened to the Cornwall IVs much of this weekend at Chief Bonehead's Deep Dive Information class.  They are excellent and I liked them better than the La Scala IIs sitting next to them.  The midrange is clear and "udderly" realistic.  I thought the blend with the tweeter was perfect.  There was a little difference in the bass (other than the low notes the CW can hit).  LS IIs are no slouch.

It was La Scala AL5 not La Scala ll we listened to.

Everyone must also remember the La Scala AL5 would benefit more from boundary loading versus the Cornwall lV so that should be taken into consideration when forming opinions during this demonstration IMHO since optimum performance would usually mean closer placement to walls or corner for the La Scala. 

I was there as well and while I agree that the Cornwall lV is significantly improved over its predecessor and should definitely be an option for you to consider but with that said I still preferred the horn loaded LF over the direct radiator sound even though it doesn’t extend as low on its own.

Disclaimer:  I actually own the LaScala AL5 and have spent several months with them so this event wasn’t my first exposure to them.

Try to be patient and see if you can listen to them for yourself to see what you prefer and just as importantly what will sound best in your room and system since ultimately they all have to work together to achieve the sound you desire.

miketn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I attribute the different mid horn and tweeter in the lascala to contributing a noticeably different sound than the progression of Heresy/Forte/Cornwall.  Not any better or worse per se but a different sounding unit and different control of directivity.  I agree with Mike that the lascala would sound better up against a wall or in a corner.  Still it offers a choice which is a good thing.

• Like 2