Next Upgrade from La Scala II

JFHSQT

3 hours ago, Dave A said:

It is hard to compare La Scalas to Jubes

When you don't hear one half of the equation. I am betting the Jubes were not pretty enough since what he was looking for is overwhelmingly the domain of the Jubes. He never mentioned a real budget either so that may have been the clincher, who knows.

Something wrong with quotes today i see.

Sorry Dave i did not understand in the quote confusion going on and as you can see your post was messed up in my quote as well.

I will try anyways.

OP has LS II and wants the newer AL5 version, i just said go hear a set to see if its worthwhile to your ears and pocketbook.

• Like 1

Yeah I want to hear the AL5s before I pull the trigger. I'm assuming a lot, but something tells me if I really love the LS II sound and if the AL5 can do all of that with a bit more refinement with the new model, I'm probably going to be happiest "staying in the family." 

Has nothing to do with looks, I made one comment in my original post about the "industrial" look of them, then an addition 10-12 comments about my concerns with going active and working with crossovers and bi-amping and all that stuff. I feel like my journey of exploring that route (and then comparing it with the sacrifices it would require of my current system, which I have built over considerable time and expense), and just deciding that wasn't the route I wanted to go, is pretty well documented in the pages of this thread. Hopefully that's not offensive in any way to current Jubilee owners,, but I'm just traveling down a different path here.

Klipsch is my favorite brand of speakers, I own 3 pairs of them. Came here assuming this was the "Klipsch" community and not the "Jubilee" community, so again, no offense to anyone here if in some way it seems MY preference isn't exactly in alignment with yours. As far as budget and expense, I am well aware of what all lines of the current Klipsch Heritage models cost, and also how much a Jubilee system with a Xilica crossover would cost. Didn't come here to talk budget or price, just exploring all my options. As I mentioned, you guys have been great in steering me in the right direction.

10 minutes ago, JFHSQT said:

I get it, your speakers are great, but I'm just traveling down a different path here.

I've got older La Scalas and love them. LS are special in their own way.

10 minutes ago, JFHSQT said:

Came here assuming this was the "Klipsch" community and not the "Jubilee" community,

Absolutely correct. We tend to forget how wonderful (almost) all of the Klipsch are in the audio world. I recently got a pair of the massive large MWM cabinets, and am wondering if I can convince my wife to let me keep them. And yet, I could also live the rest of my life with my much smaller Heresy IIs.

It's all good, and been an interesting thread.

There IS a section for JUST Jubilees... mostly because of the difference in setup, with going active, etc.

Bruce

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Marvel said:

I've got older La Scalas and love them. LS are special in their own way.

Absolutely correct. We tend to forget how wonderful (almost) all of the Klipsch are in the audio world. I recently got a pair of the massive large MWM cabinets, and am wondering if I can convince my wife to let me keep them. And yet, I could also live the rest of my life with my much smaller Heresy IIs.

It's all good, and been an interesting thread.

There IS a section for JUST Jubilees... mostly because of the difference in setup, with going active, etc.

Bruce

Yeah I'm totally convinced that Jubilees are amazing sounding speakers, I learned a lot about them on this thread. And it makes sense that they would dominate the conversation when someone comes in and says "Hey, what does Klipsch make that's better than the La Scalas?"

18 minutes ago, JFHSQT said:

Yeah I want to hear the AL5s before I pull the trigger. I'm assuming a lot, but something tells me if I really love the LS II sound and if the AL5 can do all of that with a bit more refinement

Perhaps auditioning the new model VS exploring potential mods / tweaks to your current La scala IIs may be a discussion for you?   Perhaps if you hear the new model and you really like something about them, you can taeget relatively inexpensive tweaks toward that sound (in comparison to 12k for a new pair of al5s....).   Will save you A LOT of money and allow you to flavor until your heart is content.  Just thinking out loud. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Perhaps auditioning the new model VS exploring potential mods / tweaks to your current La scala IIs may be a discussion for you?   Perhaps if you hear the new model and you really like something about them, you can taeget relatively inexpensive tweaks toward that sound (in comparison to 12k for a new pair of al5s....).   Will save you A LOT of money and allow you to flavor until your heart is content.  Just thinking out loud. 

Good point, though it would void my warranty if I did any mods - I've already had to replace both tweeters at one point under warranty due to a burst of digital noise. But still, that's a big argument financially for exploring mods to take the LS II more in the direction of the AL5s (assuming I find them to be an improvement once I hear them). My local Heritage dealer has the same LS IIs that replaced the ones I bought from them 2 years ago, so I may have to do some traveling to hear the AL5s. Or they may be at Capital Audiofest this weekend? 

2 minutes ago, JFHSQT said:

But still, that's a big argument financially for exploring mods to take the LS II more in the direction of the AL5s

I'm gonna go out on a shameless recommendation based on my experience with my KI 362 IIs.  @Dave A makes MAHL tweeters lenses with a variety of b&c drivers that are plug and play. He offers a money back guarantee (which made me take the plunge in spite of me being quite satisfied with my speakers stock).   Let me just say, I am EXTREMELY satisfied with them for what I spent.  He even pays return shipping back to him if you are not happy.  These tweeters / lenses are incredible.   Soooooo smooth and hyper detailed at the same time.   Rarely do I hear the combo of those two things.  My detail in the highs ramped up quite noticeably, highs brightened SLIGHTLY (in a very positive manner for my tastes) and listener fatigue dropped.   I find myself listening at lower volumes and being more content.   I highly suggest you consider looking into a pair risk free. Just my 2 cents. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, JFHSQT said:

Yeah I want to hear the AL5s before I pull the trigger. I'm assuming a lot, but something tells me if I really love the LS II sound and if the AL5 can do all of that with a bit more refinement with the new model, I'm probably going to be happiest "staying in the family." 

Has nothing to do with looks, I made one comment in my original post about the "industrial" look of them, then an addition 10-12 comments about my concerns with going active and working with crossovers and bi-amping and all that stuff. I feel like my journey of exploring that route (and then comparing it with the sacrifices it would require of my current system, which I have built over considerable time and expense), and just deciding that wasn't the route I wanted to go, is pretty well documented in the pages of this thread. Hopefully that's not offensive in any way to current Jubilee owners,, but I'm just traveling down a different path here.

Klipsch is my favorite brand of speakers, I own 3 pairs of them. Came here assuming this was the "Klipsch" community and not the "Jubilee" community, so again, no offense to anyone here if in some way it seems MY preference isn't exactly in alignment with yours. As far as budget and expense, I am well aware of what all lines of the current Klipsch Heritage models cost, and also how much a Jubilee system with a Xilica crossover would cost. Didn't come here to talk budget or price, just exploring all my options. As I mentioned, you guys have been great in steering me in the right direction.

There were a number of us that heard the newest La Scala and Jubilee in Hope the other weekend. I think it is safe to say none would put the La Scala as being even close to the Jube.

19 hours ago, jason str said:

Something wrong with quotes today i see.

Sorry Dave i did not understand in the quote confusion going on and as you can see your post was messed up in my quote as well.

I will try anyways.

OP has LS II and wants the newer AL5 version, i just said go hear a set to see if its worthwhile to your ears and pocketbook.

Yes and I am getting double posts sometimes lately.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, JFHSQT said:

Klipch makes the Jubilee so not sure what you mean. What you are getting since you asked for advice is advice on what various people who have heard these differing speakers have to say about relative sound quality in their eyes. You can hardly expect people to not tout their favorites when that is what you asked for. Personally speaking I would not stop at the Jubilee and would move up the food chain to monster cinema speakers which are another whole world of audio quality. But then my wife assures me I am not right and maybe that is true. I go through a lot of speakers each year and have two LSI's and an LS in the shop right now and they are OK.

We heard the new Heresys, Fortes, La Scalas, Cornwalls and Jubilees the other weekend. The new Cornwalls sounded much, yes I used that word, better to me than the LS did. But once again it is all opinion and until you hear them in person you only have what you have heard to go by. Listen to a variety of speakers before you plunk your money down or suffer buyers remorse later when you go somewhere and hear something better you will wish you had bought instead.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, JFHSQT said:

I own upgraded Belles and before that upgraded Cornwall’s. 1982 and 1979 respectively. I preferred the Cornwall’s for Rock and Roll and the Belles for everything else. I have not heard the Jubilee’s that many people recommend.🎼

That said, bringing speakers any larger than the two pairs mentioned above and what I already have for home theatre use would probably result in great sound... until after the household women spot them. The next sound I’d expect to hear after that is the sound of soil hitting the dark box I’ve been dragged into; formerly known as Jubilee’s.

It will be in the back forty on a dark and stormy night.☠️

Wb

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/30/2019 at 12:13 PM, JFHSQT said:

There are all kinds of folks on here, each with their own experiences, values, and priorities.  For people that have Jubilees and love them, they seem like the obvious answer to nearly any question.  

“My fridge is broken.  What kind should I replace it with?”

”Jubilees!”

Do check out the AL5s.  If they give you what you’re looking for, that’s great.  Go for it!

However, I’m as much of an enabler as quite a few folks on here.  Accordingly, I suggest that rather than trading in or selling your LS2s (if that’s what you had in mind), maybe keep them for surround speakers and consider getting a third AL5 as a centre speaker.  That way (if it fits your budget), you’d have an all-Scala 5-channel surround system, plus your 2 subs would make it a 5.2 system that would sound mighty fine, with consistent timbre all around, which would really help the surround effect.  Since many musicians are releasing Blu-rays of their concerts, with high-quality sound, you can now get more of a “you are there” experience than you get when listening in just 2 channels.

Just one more opinion to confuse you...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Islander said:

There are all kinds of folks on here, each with their own experiences, values, and priorities.  For people that have Jubilees and love them, they seem like the obvious answer to nearly any question.  

“My fridge is broken.  What kind should I replace it with?”

”Jubilees!”

Do check out the AL5s.  If they give you what you’re looking for, that’s great.  Go for it!

However, I’m as much of an enabler as quite a few folks on here.  Accordingly, I suggest that rather than trading in or selling your LS2s (if that’s what you had in mind), maybe keep them for surround speakers and consider getting a third AL5 as a centre speaker.  That way (if it fits your budget), you’d have an all-Scala 5-channel surround system, plus your 2 subs would make it a 5.2 system that would sound mighty fine, with consistent timbre all around, which would really help the surround effect.  Since many musicians are releasing Blu-rays of their concerts, with high-quality sound, you can now get more of a “you are there” experience than you get when listening in just 2 channels.

Just one more opinion to confuse you...

Thanks Pat... I did actually fall into an opportunity to replace the LS IIs a few weeks ago, and they are now listed for sale. I downsized quite a bit in both my office system and my home theater - now using my Heresy IIIs for fronts in the home theater and my old RP-450C on the floor for a center channel (on a stand). I would mention the speakers that replaced the LS IIs but I think they would get a mixed reception around these parts. Suffice it to say I am both extremely happy with the new speakers and very sad to see the LS IIs go. But also very glad that I could repurpose my Heresy IIIs which were not getting much use. 

Disclosure:  I've never heard the LaScala AL5 (or whatever the newest rendition is)

I've owned LaScalas since 1979.

So we have the pair I've owned since 1979.  We have the new LaScala II and now, we have the newest AL5 (or again, whatever designation it has)

Is the LaScala II better than my original?  100% yes....  but it's still a LaScala.  

You're getting a speaker that has some nuanced upgrades to improve it in some subtle and some obvious ways but....  it's still built on a LaScala chassis.

Same logic with the newest version.....  it's still built on a LaScala II chassis...

In the world of Klipsch, if you want to step up in sound, you generally have to go with a larger speaker (so yeah, the MWM's are Jubilee stompers!!!)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JFHSQT said:

Thanks Pat... I did actually fall into an opportunity to replace the LS IIs a few weeks ago, and they are now listed for sale. I downsized quite a bit in both my office system and my home theater - now using my Heresy IIIs for fronts in the home theater and my old RP-450C on the floor for a center channel (on a stand). I would mention the speakers that replaced the LS IIs but I think they would get a mixed reception around these parts. Suffice it to say I am both extremely happy with the new speakers and very sad to see the LS IIs go. But also very glad that I could repurpose my Heresy IIIs which were not getting much use. 

You're very welcome.  Since everyone's situation is different, what works for me may not be what works for you.  The main thing is to have a system that makes you happy, both to listen to and to live with.  The thinking among some members, especially the Jubilee and MWM havers, is that as long as the speaker will fit through the door, it's not too big.  I kind of feel that way myself, but people can have other priorities, some completely unrelated to audio and music.

As for me, I have four Heresy IIs, one of which I upgraded with a Heresy III kit from Klipsch, so I know that the H3 is a fine speaker, and a clearly noticeable improvement over the H2.  It's great to hear that you're very happy with your new combo.  You're still a Klipschter, so don't be a stranger.  Happy listening!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Coytee said:

I see what you're doing there!

How a about Richmond VA??  

Delayed reaction Coytee?

10 hours ago, Coytee said:

Disclosure:  I've never heard the LaScala AL5 (or whatever the newest rendition is)

I've owned LaScalas since 1979.

So we have the pair I've owned since 1979.  We have the new LaScala II and now, we have the newest AL5 (or again, whatever designation it has)

Is the LaScala II better than my original?  100% yes....  but it's still a LaScala.  

You're getting a speaker that has some nuanced upgrades to improve it in some subtle and some obvious ways but....  it's still built on a LaScala chassis.

Same logic with the newest version.....  it's still built on a LaScala II chassis...

In the world of Klipsch, if you want to step up in sound, you generally have to go with a larger speaker (so yeah, the MWM's are Jubilee stompers!!!)

Precisely this, the latest La Scala is still a La Scala and has the limits a small bass bin produces. I have fond memories of La Scalas as they were what I first owned from Klipsch and they were awesome to me at the time. The latest La Scala I have listened to and of the Heresy, Forte, Cornwall and La Scala we heard in Hope recently the LS was the least improved. There is a legacy sound there many like and you change the bass bin it goes away. As a matter of personal preference I prefer other things now.  As an aside here I made some LSI type bass bins that were just three inches deeper and it stopped almost all of that resonance at certain frequencies. I wonder if Klipsch will ever alter the bass bin at some point in time.

HEY Coytee the S-MWM's are MWM stompers and if you are ever over here you are welcome to stop in and grin.

3 hours ago, Islander said:

The thinking among some members, especially the Jubilee and MWM havers, is that as long as the speaker will fit through the door, it's not too big.  you have a Sawzall or sledgehammer or any requisite tool needed to widen your doorway to make it fit.... it's not to big

Fixed it for ya!!  Next time  though, I'm going to have to charge you so  you've been warned.

943841[1].gif

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dave A said:

Delayed reaction Coytee?

Yeah...  I was meandering with my phone as I had some spare time and thought this was a new thread.  Imagine my surprise when I scrolled down and saw my comments.

oops!  It was too late so crossed my fingers nobody would call me out.....thanks buddy!

:emotion-21:

2 hours ago, Dave A said:

HEY Coytee the S-MWM's are MWM stompers and if you are ever over here you are welcome to stop in and grin.

I'd like to do that if I could :emotion-22::emotion-22: