Next Upgrade from La Scala II

JFHSQT

I will chime in on improving on the La Scala II. Mine are almost new, voided the warranty in the first three months. I looked at what the Newest changed, bracing for the top, internal wiring, and tweeter.

Did all three to mine. For the tweeter used B&C DA120’s. DaveA made a set of horns from walnut. They are wider than the MAHL, the cutout in the motorboard is much wider the the normal K-77. 

He said he would make a set of the new Super MAHL for LS II when time permits. I may have to go sit in his laboratory while they are cut again. He made mine to get me to leave. 

I doubt if my dampening the top hat and rewiring the top hat with Star Quad Cable made much difference. Replacing the K-77 with a DA120 and walnut horn was a very audible improvement. Made the mids seem smoother. 

I spent some time listening with ears very close to each driver to hear what each did with familiar music playing. The K-77 did not sound musical. The Dave horn was an improvement. 

When listening at normal distance the new tweeter seemed to impact even the woofer sound. I have heard the use of a super tweeter can make an improvement in bass response. 

I use a single sub, crossover at 65 - 70 Hz and differing slopes. Usually filter the sub at -6 dB and the Las Scala at either -12 or -18 dB/octave. Still playing with the sub setup. Always seems improved after adjusting frequency and slopes. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Try setting the sub cut-off much higher, like 100-120 Hz.  The LS and LS2 bass starts to roll off at 100 Hz, and by 50 Hz, there's not much left.

In the same way, the sub's high frequency roll-off is not sharp, either, so to get a smooth response with no dip, it helps to have a bit of overlap.

Experiment with the sub hi-cut, and see what sounds best to your ears.

On 11/27/2019 at 6:29 AM, Coytee said:

Fixed it for ya!!  Next time  though, I'm going to have to charge you so  you've been warned.

943841[1].gif

Good one!  Didn't you know that most Klipsch Pro Theater speakers are just 24" deep, in order to fit behind movie screens?  So nearly any Klipsch speaker will fit through a regular 30-32" door.

4 hours ago, Islander said:

Theater speakers are just 24" deep, in order to fit behind movie screens?  So nearly any Klipsch speaker will fit through a regular 30-32" door.

Except for the MWM  bins. They are 45 inches deep, so you have to put them on their backs to get them through most doorways. Even at that you need a good 32 inch opening.

15 hours ago, Islander said:

Good one!  Didn't you know that most Klipsch Pro Theater speakers are just 24" deep, in order to fit behind movie screens?  So nearly any Klipsch speaker will fit through a regular 30-32" door.

Do you realize you just yanked the carpet out from under those who are using that as their excuse? *

:emotion-21:

*MWM bins excepted

6 minutes ago, Coytee said:

Do you realize you just yanked the carpet out from under those who are using that as their excuse? *

:emotion-21:

*MWM bins excepted

What I heard is pro is for train stations, airports and pro wrestling events and not suitable for home use. Why would anyone even think of doing so is beyond me. Hmmph!

• Haha 3

Yes, the MWM bins are the obvious exception, which is why I said "most".

However, as Marvel says, they can also be taken through most home doors if you tip them on their sides.

In my case, once speakers get through the main entrance door, which is either 34 or 36 inches wide, it's a short trip to the living room.  Bringing in the La Scala IIs in their original boxes was no problem at all and unpacking them made me feel like a new owner, even if I was actually the second owner.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2019 at 10:33 AM, Dave A said:

OK switching from speaker to speaker with the same input wattage the db output from the La Scala was the clear winner. However the La Scala has some resonance issues at certain frequencies and certain instruments that is very distracting to me and the Cornwall didn't. I have two sets of LSI's in my shop right now I am working on and heard the same annoying problem in Hope so now I know it is not just these La Scalas I have here. EQ has helped here to mute this problem but I have found no way to eliminate it entirely.  The La Scala was brighter and drums would impact you more. The Cornwall beat the La Scala silly in bass. The Cornwall was, to me, far more balanced and just as articulate and played anything with great clarity and no annoying resonance problems. 

I would far rather listen to any of my favorites on the Cornwalls and feed them more watts to get there. I write this shaking my head as I have spent some time boasting of Chorus over Cornwalls, which is still true for everything up until now. You turn these new Cornwalls up and the La Scalas just don't cut it at the same db level from low to high volumes. The presence is just startling to me. Don't take my word for this but go and hear a set before you buy anything.

Oh and Jubes are the KING and you cheat yourself by not giving those a listen to. The new Cornwalls are much prettier if that seriously matters and are a big step up from La Scalas in my book.

Jubes #1   New Cornwall #2 and La Scala #3

Interesting. I sold my Cornwall IIIs in favor of my Forte IIs because I felt the Cornwall IIIs had annoying resonances you speak of in the La Scalas.  It would be great if the Cornwall IV did NOT have the resonances I experienced with the Cornwall III.  Man, I'd hate to make the same mistake twice! 

Hearing is believing and I would not and did not buy CW I, II or III more than twice. Those convinced me that CW = big boomy box. Of all the Klipsch vintage models from CW, Heresy, Forte, and La Scala the CW's were the only ones I decided to avoid.   I am sure some mods would fix it but I never tried. The new CW IV's were stunning and it would be worth your while to find some to listen too.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2019 at 10:17 AM, Schu said:

Don't f*ck with the LSii... yeah I went there.

When you bypass/disconnect the crossover on the LS2 and instead use an active electronic processor like an E-V Dx38, Yamaha SP2060, Xilica, etc., the peaks/resonances that some owners find very annoying (I haven't, but maybe I don't listen at high volume often enough to notice) can be eliminated easily, without causing any compromises anywhere else.

But Schu knew that already, right?

BTW, if anyone is referring to the infamous 148 Hz peak in the La Scala and La Scala II, according to everything I've read on the subject, it's not a resonance.  It's a peak caused by the geometry of the bass horn, which is why the much stiffer sidewalls of the LS2 don't make any difference in regards to the issue, although they do help to provide more and better bass over the first-gen La Scalas.

The peak may be difficult to eliminate with an analog EQ, but it seems to be no problem for the digital processors/EQ units to correct.

On 1/2/2020 at 7:58 AM, Islander said:

When you bypass/disconnect the crossover on the LS2 and instead use an active electronic processor like an E-V Dx38, Yamaha SP2060, Xilica, etc., the peaks/resonances that some owners find very annoying (I haven't, but maybe I don't listen at high volume often enough to notice) can be eliminated easily, without causing any compromises anywhere else.

But Schu knew that already, right?

BTW, if anyone is referring to the infamous 148 Hz peak in the La Scala and La Scala II, according to everything I've read on the subject, it's not a resonance.  It's a peak caused by the geometry of the bass horn, which is why the much stiffer sidewalls of the LS2 don't make any difference in regards to the issue, although they do help to provide more and better bass over the first-gen La Scalas.

The peak may be difficult to eliminate with an analog EQ, but it seems to be no problem for the digital processors/EQ units to correct.

Yup but if you do not brace those sidewalls the best DSP in the world won't stop the cabinet resonance. I believe the cabinet resonance to be the bigger problem by far.