The road to MAHL

erik2A3

I can't recall if I mentioned we are now listening to a recently acquired and near-mint pair of Chorus IIs.  With long term experience with Heresies, La Scalas, and Klipschorns, the Chorus IIs are providing some of the best listening I've heard -- on their own and in the completely factory-stock condition we got them.  Of course I've both heard and read about the several upgrade paths others have taken with the Chorus, my interest tended to have to do with wanting 'more' upper frequency prominence  than I was hearing, though what was there was definitely very good, and reminded me of the Heresy IIs I used to have (that now reside in my dad's living room, along with the Dyna ST70 that drives them.

We purchased a pair of titanium diaphragm; and, while I found them distinctly smoother than the former phenolic part

, I was still missing the really sharp transient snap and non-harsh detail I like to hear with plucked guitar, brushes on snare, cymbal pings, etc.  And then I remembered the beautifully machined tweeters from Dave A.

....and suddenly dinner is ready! I will follow-up with more later, along with a picture or two.  Short story, the MAHLs are probably the best Klipsch upgrade I've implemented.  

For now,

• Like 3

Agreed.  They brought a completely renewed sense of presence, sheen, shimmer, and light to what was already really excellent sounding reproduction.  Dave has reminded me about the need for a break-in period, but I knew immediately that I was going to keep them.  The sound is of course their best trait, but the thinking and design work, as well as the absolutely perfect fit in the cabinet, make the MAHLs a top-tier upgrade.  This isn’t just about DETAIL for its own sake, but rather about more sharply, crisply, and cleanly giving more equal weight and definition to subtle yet critically important HF information — information that helps lend a sense of realism and 3-dimensionality.  I couldn’t, and in fact wouldn’t, do without them now.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, erik2A3 said:

I knew immediately that I was going to keep them.  The sound is of course their best trait, but the thinking and design work, as well as the absolutely perfect fit in the cabinet, make the MAHLs a top-tier upgrade.

Couldn't agree more.  Slighter hotter, more detailed, retaining smoothness/ ever so slightly laid back and REALLY adding to soundstage.  About 2 songs in, I knew I was keeping em.  Solid work @Dave A, keep it up man! Keeping an eye on what you come out with. 

• Like 2