The Rise of Skywalker aka...

wvu80

You going?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Are you going to the theater in December 2019?

• Yes I'm going to see it in the theater
    • No, but I'm going go see it at home when the Bluray comes out
    • No I'm not going to see it
    • No I'm not going to see it since "The Last Jedi" ruined the franchise
    • No I'm sick of Star Wars and it's about time it's over
    • Other (please explain)

Remember when "1984" was required reading? The current crop of students I run into can't be bothered to read this on their own and it sure is not read in Civic's class if there is still such a thing. I bet they would faint at the mere thought of reading "Atlas Shrugged".

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I always find something else to do for the oscars.  Always.

That's right and if I am going to do a mindless thing it will be with a book of some sort and not the TV. Looking at the skinny SJW broad, ohhhh can I say that, at the beginning of this thread and thinking next year they will have to replace real women with fake women like the one winning bike races if they want to stay relevant to the latest outrage. These people are nutso and Hollyweird promotes it all. Can you imagine the meetings that go on and the arguments as to what special interest group gets first priority and how to fit them into the plot? Disney is not what it once was.

I have all the old Disney cartoons from the late 20's on. All the old Popeye and Warner Brothers and Tom and Jerry and Woody Woodpecker. Funny thing is you let kids see these old cartoons and they choose to watch them over the new anime junk. Remember when the Three Stooges were perceived as violent? Wonder what they would say about today's realistic shredded body parts, bullets, bombs and gore as video games and most movies compete for greatest shock value.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

i’d rather get my dentist drunk and let him give me a root canal. There’s one person in the industry that has had a special place in my heart for several years ... if she was up for an award, i’d watch; but only that part. But, then again ... she probably wouldn’t even go herself. Well, my friend’s daughter is an actress too, so I’d probably watch -- and my former roommate is a producer/director so i’d have to watch then too.  But, other than that ... no way!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, oldtimer said:

It's hilarious how people hypocritically bemoan the lack of free expression while criticizing someone's free expression.  Critical thinking and deductive reasoning are rare indeed.  This is often seen in the politicization of everything, especially by malcontents who can't even be happy when they are in power.  The highest criminals cry like the professional victims they deride when they get caught, using words like "unfair." 

Movies are made to make money, not satisfy a set of morals.  I have often said that they are a waste of time, and that time is sometimes more enjoyable than others.  Personally, I prefer the bad B movies because they make me laugh.  The only freedom in our economy is the freedom to make or lose money, ostensibly that is how it should be, or is it that the freedom lovers are really secret authoritarians?

Now, where was I?  Oh yeah, get off of my lawn...

Movies used to be made for both money and morals (Reefer Madness comes to mind - WRT morals) with money being the main driver (Louis B. Mayer died fat, rich and relatively happy). Now movies are still made for money and morals with morals playing a larger roll.

Try living here at times. We are taxed to death by Fool's who bribe us with our own money and can't balance their cheque books with both hands, pictogram like instructions, a working flashlight... and a map! At least you get to keep a fairer share of what you make with a progressive tax system and no visible at least Federal VAT.

1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

i’m going out on a limb to guess that Wolfbane isn’t hosting an Academy Award “Oscars” Party.

i think i went to the movie theatre in 2012.  hadn’t gone in about five years before that. They’re just not making anything that, to me,  looks interesting or fun to watch.

haven’t read the entire thread so not sure which post this is in reference to or if it was just a general statement.  what you are referring to may be hypocritical or may not be -- i don’t know the particulars.

I feel that others are free to say what they want; but, i can also tell them that i think their opinion sucks. Supporting free expression doesn’t mean that we have to agree with that expression nor that we can’t criticize it -- if we allowed it, then there is no hypocrisy. allowance doesn’t equal support. disagreement doesn’t equal hate. society is drawing lines that i just fail to accept. But just in case ... all the posts on the Klipsch forum are important -- because its members are important. This is a safe space where there isn’t a boogy-man hiding behind every avatar. All views are welcomed ... well, except the ones that are shut down with that pesky little lock icon. On second thought, the moderators will tell you what to think.  Remember, we’ll all equal and valuable (If we like you). Welcome to Frustrated Friday.

Haven't watched that show in years. Either Billy Crystal or Johnny Carson emceed it. I like the idea of a Oscars' Party with the Idiot Box set to off and my Audio System set to on and loud with Belles playing.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

Agree: Clip your toe nails, walk the dog, drink a cup of something good. Start a snowball fight. Anything to avoid the pontificating! That said, I'd be prepared to debate any of the pontificists on that show and I suspect have fun doing so.

57 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

i’d rather get my dentist drunk and let him give me a root canal. There’s one person in the industry that has had a special place in my heart for several years ... if she was up for an award, i’d watch; but only that part. But, then again ... she probably wouldn’t even go herself. Well, my friend’s daughter is an actress too, so I’d probably watch -- and my former roommate is a producer/director so i’d have to watch then too.  But, other than that ... no way!

Root Canal or not, I make sure my Dentist is always sober and stays the heck away from me with the Lidocaine or anything else that freezes my face. Haven't bothered with freezing at the dentist since 1986. Save that stuff for the woman (except my daughter Melissa who also does not want freezing for dental work) and the sissies. Having had several kidney stones over decades I don't find dental work in any way painful. Hate the low speed, high torque drill though!

Wb

3 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Personally, I prefer the bad B movies because they make me laugh. 

"Attack of the Killer Tomato's" any day over Star Wars. Remember "Mystery Science Theater 3000"? All that old stuff is on Youtube and I don't have to leave home or worry about "stealing" movies since Google does the theft. Hooray for movies so bad they make you laugh. They had a guy called "The Ghoul" who was a late night movie host in Detroit years ago. Always blowing things up with firecrackers and hilarious comments and skits interspersed in the cheesy movies they always ran. TV worth watching. Movies worth watching.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Dave A said:

"Attack of the Killer Tomato's" any day over Star Wars. Remember "Mystery Science Theater 3000"? All that old stuff is on Youtube and I don't have to leave home or worry about "stealing" movies since Google does the theft. Hooray for movies so bad they make you laugh. They had a guy called "The Ghoul" who was a late night movie host in Detroit years ago. Always blowing things up with firecrackers and hilarious comments and skits interspersed in the cheesy movies they always ran. TV worth watching. Movies worth watching.

I liked Killer Tomatoes but never figured out how they killed you. It looked like they pleasured you to death.

JJK

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

Never had a root canal?

Indeed I have: Three actually, two since 1986. Not pleasant, but one of the Endodontists had Casablanca playing on the ceiling for distraction.

Only regret, is I missed the last five minutes of that movie. Did they 'round up the usual suspects'? ;)

Wb

43 minutes ago, KlipschFish said:

It's a good thing they don't show old Heckle and Jeckle 'toons then, also. Ultra violent (IIRC) and blatantly racist. Very popular for a while, too.

I always wanted that coyote to catch that annoying, beep beeping road runner. Now I'll never know as no one will play that cartoon series here.

Wb

11 minutes ago, Wolfbane said:

Indeed I have: Three actually, two since 1986. Not pleasant, but one of the Endodontists had Casablanca playing on the ceiling for distraction.

Only regret, is I missed the last five minutes of that movie. Did they 'round up the usual suspects'? ;)

Wb

I couldn't fathom a root canal without a numbing agent.  I've actually had a root canal on 2 top teeth from the top down.  They went through my gum to do it.  That was not a fun one.

38 minutes ago, Wolfbane said:

I always wanted that coyote to catch that annoying, beep beeping road runner. Now I'll never know as no one will play that cartoon series here.

Wb

They have taken all the good ones off.  For anyone interested you send me a 200+ gb flash drive and I can load you up with good cartoons. Your children and grandchildren need to watch these and not the new junk and the fringe benefit is you will like them too.

58 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Non PC cartoons.  My favorite.

You bet and I have all the old Tom and Jerry cartoons and the WW2 "propaganda" pro USA cartoons. I even have the eeeeeevil Martian with Bugs Bunny cartoons banned for racism by none other than Ted Turner and Hanoi Jane when he bought out all the old Warner Brothers cartoons. Those nuts banned all sorts of cartoons that no one thought of as racist until they made them so. Tex Avery also had a bunch banned and there were a number of his made for adults from day one.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dave A said:

They have taken all the good ones off.  For anyone interested you send me a 200+ gb flash drive and I can load you up with good cartoons. Your children and grandchildren need to watch these and not the new junk and the fringe benefit is you will like them too.

You bet and I have all the old Tom and Jerry cartoons and the WW2 "propaganda" pro USA cartoons. I even have the eeeeeevil Martian with Bugs Bunny cartoons banned for racism by none other than Ted Turner and Hanoi Jane when he bought out all the old Warner Brothers cartoons. Those nuts banned all sorts of cartoons that no one thought of as racist until they made them so. Tex Avery also had a bunch banned and there were a number of his made for adults from day one.

I guess that if you've got enough cash you can buy it all up and change it to be PC to you're standards... or hide it. Replace everything with 'Give them bread and circuses'! Reminds me of what Billy Holiday sang about 60 years ago. It applies today: 

Wb

3 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

I couldn't fathom a root canal without a numbing agent.  I've actually had a root canal on 2 top teeth from the top down.  They went through my gum to do it.  That was not a fun one.

Start with something easy like a new or replaced filling. Work up from there. You'll be surprised how easily you get used to it. No risk of developing Bell's Palsy, some other Palsy or hours drooling like a nitwit at work with a half frozen face. The worse thing I recall was having some gum cut out to get at a tooth root with a hot electrical wire a few years ago. The smell was something else. Today Dentists use lasers for that.

Dry socket and an infection with a wisedom tooth extraction at the same time was no fun. But it is only the infection that can actually kill you (ala King Tut). 

Wb

17 hours ago, Wolfbane said:

I guess that if you've got enough cash you can buy it all up and change it to be PC to you're standards... or hide it. Replace everything with 'Give them bread and circuses'!

Yes and Disney has done just that with everything they have touched now. You can't take your children to Disneyworld Orlando without checking to see when it's poofter day down there so you know when not to go. All they do seems to be agenda driven any more and it is anti family and anti man and wife garbage. Netflix is another and if this link does not turn your stomach nothing will. They all need to be starved out of existence so cut the cord and don't attend theaters.

https://www.breitbart.com/entertainment/2019/10/25/netflix-adds-gender-non-binary-character-to-childrens-cartoon-she-ra/

27 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

and the cost of the ticket is a heck of a lot more. 

The cost is much more than money when you consider your dollars are then turned against you. I honestly can't understand people who are aware of all this still subsidizing this rotted industry.

• Like 2