March Sadness 2020

DizRotus

On 11/15/2019 at 8:49 AM, DizRotus said:

Good college friends invited us to join them 12/29/19 at Breslin Center for the Maryland game.  That should be a good game.

Unfortunately the texted invitation was ambiguous and incorrect.  Was the invite for 12/29 vs WMU or 2/29 vs MD?  Turns out it’s the former so we need not unfold the latter.

Oh well, MD would’ve been a more interesting game, but it will be fun watching the WMU game anyway, unless the Broncos upset Sparty at home.

• Like 1

Shocker!  My WVU Mountaineers are 11-1 and have a two-point loss to St. Johns, otherwise haven't beat anyone.  Currently ranked 22nd.

Today they were behind by 6 at halftime to #2 ranked Ohio State, and came back to beat them on a neutral court 67-59 in Cleveland.

With all the college bowl games and the end of the NFL regular season, basketball hasn't yet got top billing.  I'm not sure what to think about my Mountaineers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

Shocker!  My WVU Mountaineers are 11-1 and have a two-point loss to St. Johns, otherwise haven't beat anyone.  Currently ranked 22nd.

Today they were behind by 6 at halftime to #2 ranked Ohio State, and came back to beat them on a neutral court 67-59 in Cleveland.

With all the college bowl games and the end of the NFL regular season, basketball hasn't yet got top billing.  I'm not sure what to think about my Mountaineers.

Congrats Dave, soon college basketball will be on everyone's mind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Talk yesterday was that WVU would upset the Buckeyes in Cleveland.  They're not a #2 team imo.  Just a ball game.  They should have a decent season this year but next year is when I'm expecting things to take shape on the hardwood.  I don't know what happened w/people expecting the to lose today but it was mentioned.  Huggie's a great Coach and an even better man.  He KNOWS hoops!  Too much Christmas dinner?  Full moon?  Who knows but it's in the books!  :)

25 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

I don't know what happened w/people expecting the to lose today but it was mentioned. 

I guess Ohio State played down to the level of their competition.  I've watched WVU from the start of the season, they don't look special to me playing mediocre competition.  OSU was by far the best team they've faced this year.

None of the Mountaineer starters scored in double digits but I guess a freshman guard came off the bench and scored 21.  That and the Buckeyes only scored 22 in the second half.  You can't beat anybody if you can't score.

If I'm Ohio State in game planning, who accounts for some kid coming off the bench having his career game?

• Like 1

I'm sure Bob Huggins saw something OSU has been doing and put the kabosh on it.  I didn't see the game, but Bob is great when it comes to analyzing things.  Whatever he saw you can bet Holtmann now knows and is gonna have to correct it otherwise it'll happen all the time.  Yes, Huggie is THAT good.  He's home there so he's not goin anywhere!  He saw something!

• Like 1

SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY at beautiful Breslin Center. #14 Sparty takes on #12 Wolverines at 1:30 pm.  Gates open at noon. SUNDAY.

Think vintage drag strip radio ads when reading the above.  Substitute Arnie The Farmer Beswick for Sparty and Dyno Don Nicholson for Wolverines.

Unfortunately, for UM, they will be without Isaiah Livers, their best shooter.  Injuries are to be expected.  MSU has been without the services of Josh Langford all season. It promises to be a good matchup, even if not the same as Arnie vs Don.

Gotta say I’m impressed with Juwan Howard and the job he’s done taking over after the surprise, at least to me, departure of John Beilein.  Great sense of humor suggesting that he will petition NCAA to use his remaining year of eligibility to suit up for Wolverines.  Izzo might have some eligibility left also . . . . never mind.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Dave what happened to your Buckeyes yesterday?  They were Archie’d by the Hoosiers.

Dave @Dave1290 what happened to Sparty today?  They caught the same bug that bit the Buckeyes.  Hopefully, Izzo will be able to use the film of this Purdue debacle to improve going forward.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2020 at 8:51 AM, DizRotus said:

Do they still teach hooked on phonics in Ann Arbor?  Zavier Simpson and Juwan Howard suggest they do.

I like that Wolverine Zavier Simpson.  He may be one of the best point guards I've seen, and he defends like a jail cell awaits him if he fails.

+++

what happened to Sparty today? (snip) Hopefully, Izzo will be able to use the film of this Purdue debacle to improve going forward.

Mich State is going to burn this game tape.  A 29 point loss to Purdue is not something you want to re-live.

• Like 1

Eh, had to run out of town yesterday and caught the beginning and ending on the radio.  Knew they stunk up the second half but last nite read where they only shot something like 21% from the floor?  You're not gonna win ball games ANY where that way.  Didn't hear a thing about Sparty til I saw this.  Too bad.  They're looking tough from what I've seen.  Who knows it's the B1G and we all know how that goes.  Still early and I'm sure there will be a fair amount of upsets this year too.  Always is!  Next month we'll see what gels.

Actually waiting to hear what the NCAA rolls out on the official complaint OSU filed w/the B1G on the officiating in the Clemson game.  They've admitted to the two bad calls yet haven't responded to the complaint.  Seems as though most who watched the game agree that the calls were terrible and came from the worst crew possible for a Championship game.  Bottom line on it though ya can't die in the red zone 3 times in the first half.  Left way too many points on the field that game.  The other thing, how did LSU jump into #1 overnight?  The NCAA was also asked about that in the complaint.  ESPN also owns the broadcast rights to the SEC and ACC that's why they always have the Natty.  Nah, never happened.  hahaha  Only way OSU will ever beat a Southern team is to walk in and just stomp the crap out of them all imo.  It's coming.

Iowa d, Michigan 90-83

C'mon Michigan, you're killing me!  Wolverines fought back to take the lead midway through the second half after being behind all game, but then Iowa fought back to regain the lead late and kept it for the win.  Michigan couldn't buy a bucket, couldn't get a stop.

I jumped on the bandwagon early on for Michigan, but now I think I may be jumping back off.

• Haha 1