March Sadness 2020

DizRotus

9 hours ago, wvu80 said:

jumped on the bandwagon early on for Michigan, but now I think I may be jumping back off.

Michigan is a good team and well coached.  They will be a tough out in the Tournament.

You just got sucked in by the blue & gold. Now you’re weaseling out.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Dave1290 said:

Watched OSU defeat Wisconsin tonight in wrestling. 

Watching college wrestling?   I started this basketball thread.

IMO, watching college wrestling is like watching paint dry.  I can say this, as I wrestled at MSU in the late ‘60s when we were good (NCAA champs in ‘67 and perennial B1G Camps).  Don’t get me wrong,  my Zenith was making the scholarship wrestlers, like George Radman, defending NCAA Champ at 167 pounds, work hard.  Despite enjoying wrestling in high school and college as a combatant, except when watching my little bother wrestle, I do not find it compelling as a spectator sport.  If someone who knows what’s happening can’t get into it, it’s no wonder legitimate wrestling has no substantial fan support.

I know that there are rabid fans of college and Olympic wrestling.  I applaud their enthusiasm as spectators, I just can’t share it.

FWIW, I feel the same about sailing.  Although successfully enjoying competitive dinghy sailing as a youth, I have a difficult time watching sailboat races on TV.  That said, the foiling catamarans are exciting to watch, but comparing that to regular sailing is a stretch.

Now we return to our regularly scheduled discussion of NCAA basketball.  After dismantling the Badgers at home yesterday, the Spartans have 5 of the next 7 on the road.  We shall see how good they really are.

GO GREEN!

• Haha 1

One more reference to college wrestling — Spartan b’ball is off til Thursday at Bloomington — so perhaps I’ll peak at MSU vs MD at 3 pm Eastern on BTN.  Even if I remember to watch, it won’t be for more than a few moments.

Maryland was my second choice for college.  My father wanted me to consider wrestling as a Terp, due to a Hopkins fraternity brother being friends with the MD coach.  My third choice was also U of M, but the one in Ann Arbor.  My assistant HS coach was a Wolverine and was pushing his alma mater.  Of course my father would have preferred I be a Blue Jay at his alma mater, Johns Hopkins, but I couldn’t have gotten admitted there at gunpoint.

In hindsight, I have a greater respect for my father’s approval, albeit reluctantly, of my decision to turn down scholarship assistance at the Us of M & M to go to MSU as a walk-on.  I’ve never regretted that decision.  Had I gone to Ann Arbor or College Park, rather than East Lansing, I would not have met why wife and we would not have two fine sons.

Butterfly effect strikes again.

• Like 1

Wrestling was just "on" the BTN so I just left the remote lay.  Had the system cranked here and was playing solitaire while listening.  Yea, just leave that solitaire comment in the bag.  I know it's there but...  Buckeye's got killed yesterday.  Huggins picked up on Holtmann's step out on the offensive shots and now everyone knows the weakness in their offense plus they're just stinking it up on both ends of the floor.  He'll sort it hopefully.  Can't bench 3 players and win games either.  :)  

OK, #14 West Virginia has their best game of the year against TCU 81-49, then travels to bottom dweller Kansas State and just stinks up the place getting crushed 84-68.

Tonight against a good 12-win Texas team, with 7 minutes left they lead by 41 points.

Proving I know NOTHING about college basketball.  I really, just don't get it. 

} For you fans of Big Time college BBall watch ESPN later tonight who I’m sure will show over and over the last couple seconds of the KU vs. K State game. Mayhem to say the least. Suspensions and possible banishment to the KU player who went after a K Stater with a chair/ stool. This was a good combination of fine basketball, sportsmanship and WWE—

• Haha 2

} It was bad enough with the benches emptying, fists flying and such but DeSouza coming off the top rope with a chair will most likely end his college ball career, at least with KU. And rightly deserved I might add — 🥊🤼🪑

This might push Self to the NBA where  brawls are more acceptable in the professional game - 

• Like 2

For the life of me I can't figure out how OSU can be #2 in the nation and a month later be sitting in the #12 position in the B1G.  Let ANOTHER one get away at HOME in the last seconds.  Stellar first half and couldn't do a thing the second.  12 turnovers?  Seriously?  Holtmann is a great coach AND recruiter.  Has two great prospects coming in next year and I'm sure turned some heads early on but man...  ...I just don't get it!  It's gotta hurt recruiting.  Guess Imma gonna have to nose a bit cause it's killing me!  hahahaha

Kansas & K State?  Why?  Just why did it happen in the first place?  You're up that much and go alley ball in the final second of the game?  Come on man.  No cause for ANY of that at all imo.  Bench time now and there goes the season.  Crazy!

13 hours ago, Dave1290 said:

For the life of me I can't figure out how OSU can be #2 in the nation and a month later be sitting in the #12 position in the B1G.

Agree.  Ohio State was #2 when WVU beat them and then they went into a meltdown mode of biblical proportions since then.  The Buckeyes have now been dropped from the rankings in both polls having lost 7 games.

Oddly enough the Michigan Wolverines are right there with them with a record of 11-8 after shooting up through the rankings to 4th.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Ohio State was #2 when WVU beat them and then they went into a meltdown mode of biblical proportions since then.

Whatever Huggy saw and exposed in that game EVERYone has picked up on it.  Read somewhere they were taking an extra 1.5 steps that was causing problems for the opponents D.  Huggy spotted it and didn't fall for it so everyone's on the wagon now.  I think I checked the WVU sports media site a week or so after the game and it was mentioned there.   Huggy's a great guy and one heck of a coach.  Something's gotta give cause the natives in Cbus are getting restless.  hahaha   As if!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...