Pictures of Pets That Guard Your Place

Wolfbane

7 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

Hey Greg ... congrats on having your thread locked.  You’re now in a special group of well ... many, many members.

I was in the midst of responding when they closed it. Nothing political though.

Elections here tend to be more civilized then what I witnessed while in Scottsdale in November 2016 and again in November of last year. Although this last one here somehow managed to be boring and unusual at the same time.

Minority governments here mean we'll all get to have a redo in less than four years.

Wb

• Like 1

Riley used to be all alert and stuff; 7 months later it's all about naps. Smart dog as she learned what I do on the weekends. Takes her about 1.2 seconds to go from teats up on the floor to whichever door sounds a motion alarm; solicitors don’t stay at the door long. Average growth approx. 10 lbs / month vet estimates 110-120 lbs at adulthood. Mom is a show entrant and dad is police dog.

12 weeks.jpg

asleep.jpg

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I don't think they go that far north either.

Neither did Racoons. We've got them here now.

Didn't Granny Clampet had a recipe for o'Possum Stew'? I wouldn't want to risk catching leptospirosis or any of the other nasty diseases they can carry and transmit so I'd pass on the stew or even trying to catch one to put in the pot.

After reading the ingredients list, I stay away from Beyond Meat burgers too.

Wb

• Like 2

They aren't really known for much of a disease carrier.  Rabbits in the wild have a tularemia issue, careful skinning with gloves is the answer.  With possums, if they are to be food, you have to be careful to cut out the scent glands they use for playing dead to avoid ruining it.  I'm not much into eating them, they do a good job around the house and when you can see them are entertaining, but they are shy.  They are 100 times less likely to carry rabies than a wild/feral dog.  

12 minutes ago, Wolfbane said:

Neither did Racoons. We've got them here now.

Didn't Granny Clampet had a recipe for o'Possum Stew'? I wouldn't want to risk catching leptospirosis or any of the other nasty diseases they can carry and transmit so I'd pass on the stew or even trying to catch one to put in the pot.

After reading the ingredients list, I stay away from Beyond Meat burgers too.

Wb

https://www.kickassfacts.com/opossum-facts/

Leptospirosis comes from excremental excretions, and has infected a lot of fresh water in the Hawaiian islands thanks to pigs.  So yeah, avoid possum piss and shit.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

I taught this guy some Krav Maga, now i don’t even have to lock my doors anymore -- But i do have lock the liquor cabinet.

th.jpeg

Those suckers are super strong for their size. One latched onto my hand when I was a kid, shook it like crazy he slapped both sides of my arm. Only when I smacked it on the concrete did it let go. Similar to a snapping turtle.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Wolfbane said:

never bark, all of them think/thought they are cats (like to walk on curbs or fences), except for the biting, scratching and shedding. 

I had a GermanShorthairPointer.   A 75lb cat. Coyote smart.   Behaved more like a cat, when left to his own means. After him [he lived a long time, 17years] I can easily say NO to offers of dog.  I can borrow one for as long as I care to pet one. The neighbor has a beautiful hound [of some sort]. She's more white than black. I/we call her Daisy. She gets loose often enough to come visit. Try to confine a hound when they get scent of something. My shorthair used to sit, waving his head back and forth like radar.  I knew he was getting ready to go for a run.

could not keep him indoors. He would not stay.

Had one place with a Beware of Dog sign on the front door.  What it didn't say.... the dog was coming up behind you

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

I had a GermanShorthairPointer.   A 75lb cat. Coyote smart.   Behaved more like a cat, when left to his own means. After him [he lived a long time, 17years] I can easily say NO to offers of dog.  I can borrow one for as long as I care to pet one. The neighbor has a beautiful hound [of some sort]. She's more white than black. I/we call her Daisy. She gets loose often enough to come visit. Try to confine a hound when they get scent of something. My shorthair used to sit, waving his head back and forth like radar.  I knew he was getting ready to go for a run.

could not keep him indoors. He would not stay.

Had one place with a Beware of Dog sign on the front door.  What it didn't say.... the dog was coming up behind you

Willybob,

It took us ten years to acquire another Bichon after the first one passed away at only 7 years of age (i.e. ten years before normal life-expectaancy for Bichons). All the money in the world would not have been able to save him (believe me, my wife tried).

Still miss that dog  a lot but having brought a couple more into the family (from a different breeder), at the insistence of my youngest daughter, I only regret walking him and his young buddy when it gets to minus 40 here and windy or over 90 when we are down south. He hates the extreme heat on his paws even more than the extreme cold and the salt and sharp gravel the city throws all over the roads here now though.

The only dog we owned that some people really feared was our Minature Schnauzer, no Beware of Dog sign required. A Terrior that could strike fear in the eyes of large non-dog delivery people and even some local large breed dogs.

Bichon's have the look of wounded sheep and think they are either cats or Blood Hounds.

Wb

• Like 1

terriers investigate with their teeth.

We had a terrier mix when I was a kid. That dog would bite anyone [including children] who was stupid enough to touch his tail.  And it was a big fluffy one that arched over his back.

the shorthair was much more subtle.  People would come into the house and he would lay in front of them, looking at them.... watching

He near got a cop by the face when the cop poked his face through [the open] front window of my car to look at the dog who was "sleeping" in the back seat. Dog came over the seat.