Pictures of Pets That Guard Your Place

Wolfbane

he was a sonuvabich, Carl. 

I knew he was dying when I could catch his tail and get away.  Used to take the shorthair, a lab mix and him for a run. That required me picking him up to put him in the truck. He liked being picked up about as much as his tail being touched. Wanted to go so bad that he would let me. So, I would push it and hold him until he was quivering, lip curled, snarling before I set him down.

used to play fetch with the shorthair .... in the dark. That made it more interesting.

7 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

He would have been a dead dog if he bit a child around me.

Usually 'sent to the farm' is the response around here where every dog in entitled to one bite (nip, not a ripping or blood drawing chomping).

That said, my childhood dog (Hairy Dashund) was extremely territorial about his food. Even gowled at me once for touching it after putting it down. I put it down to the wolf in him and instinct and never did that again.

Wb

On 10/22/2019 at 6:42 PM, Wolfbane said:

Neither did Racoons. We've got them here now.

Didn't Granny Clampet had a recipe for o'Possum Stew'? I wouldn't want to risk catching leptospirosis or any of the other nasty diseases they can carry and transmit so I'd pass on the stew or even trying to catch one to put in the pot.

After reading the ingredients list, I stay away from Beyond Meat burgers too.

Wb

They are the best tick consumers out there.  6k ticks a summer.  I have had Lyme all summer (3rd time).  It is an epidemic here in Maine.  I wish I could get a couple dozen living around here.

38 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I would never take a chance on a dog that would bite a child.  Children are defenseless and dogs are crazy fast.  I could never forgive myself if my dog ever injured anyone especially a child.

Pitbulls were called “nanny dogs” around the 1900’s.  There are tons of pics with kids and their pups.  

i have never had an issue with a dog.  I truly believe it is how they are treated and what they sense coming from you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Pats3of4 said:

Pitbulls were called “nanny dogs” around the 1900’s.  There are tons of pics with kids and their pups.  

i have never had an issue with a dog.  I truly believe it is how they are treated and what they sense coming from you.

Agree 100%.  Our Rotties are great with the kids.  They're 7 and 8 years old so we're sure of their temperament. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/22/2019 at 12:45 PM, Speed said:

Luci Lew.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Jube watch. Alert to all suspicious activity, squirrel's and lizards in particular. 

Luci.jpg

Good Luci !

• Like 3

12 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Agree 100%.  Our Rotties are great with the kids.  They're 7 and 8 years old so we're sure of their temperament. 

With all dogs I think it comes down to selective breeding, instinct and how their were raised and trained. More people get themselves bit by fearful little lap dogs than large dogs that are under proper control and have a good disposition. Like most mammals, dogs can sense fear in the people around them and sometimes react to that perceived fear.

My spouse fears horses and Canada Geese. Result: She can't ride a horse and gets chased by geese everytime we encounter them. If I want to she her running I just take her to a park with a water source like a pond or river. As soon as she gets (unknowingly) close enough the chase begins.

Wb

• Like 2

And then you have the parents who fail to teach their toddlers respect for animals.  That you don't pull ears, tails, gouge, take food out of Spots mouth, or kick.  I worked for a veterinarian for 2 years in college and saw the sad endings too many times with the dogs usually holding the short end of the stick.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

I could never forgive myself if my dog ever injured anyone especially a child.

I understand that, but it's not always the dogs fault. My 85 pound rot/heeler mix was never around kids as I never had any. Once at the vet we were sitting down waiting to be called in, and there was a couple there with an eight or nine year old boy. He was walking around bored, and out of the blue he ran at my dog sliding on his knees right into my dogs face. I grabbed him tight and put one hand under his jaw and said, be a good boy. His parents said to me, your dogs looks uncomfortable(In my mind I was like, You Think ! and a few other words I won't mention) I said he has never been around kids much, and they called their kid back. Parents need to teach their kids how to behave around a dog, especially a strange dog. People and even kids, can't have complete immunity and take no responsibility for their actions.                                                                                                                                                                                                       If I pulled a dog by his tail and got bit my dad would have asked, why did you pull his tail? It serves you right, you got what you deserved. A simple nip is not so bad. People gotta know. Sometimes when you mess with the bull, you get the horns...Lol.