Forte 3 or JBL L100 Classic ...

Deang

There are a couple of youtube videos where they are being demoed. With good headphones you get a pretty idea of what their signature is like. Tight, punchy, well defined bass. Seems to go deeper than it ought - which makes me wonder if they put a bump in the FR. Mids are clear and open, but you don't get the nice snap of a snare like you do with a good horn system. The very top sounds fine. Anyone that can't get a tweeter right these days needs to go out of business.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Classics and set up a fan page dedicated to them. 

jbl-l100classic.com

For me, they are by far the best speakers I've had in my home (25 years of buying and selling). These are end game for me. Some speakers I've had in the past - Audio Physic, Gallo, Magnapan, Theil, ProAc, Totem, Acoustic Energy, Usher, Golden Ear, Polk, Paradigm,  REL and JL subwoofers to try and help the low end and numerous other forgettable Hi Fi favorites. IMHO they're an outright steal at 4k. I'd put them up against DeVore and Harbeth any day. And those sell for 2-3 times as much. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fruff76 said:

I have the Classics and set up a fan page dedicated to them. 

jbl-l100classic.com

For me, they are by far the best speakers I've had in my home (25 years of buying and selling). These are end game for me. Some speakers I've had in the past - Audio Physic, Gallo, Magnapan, Theil, ProAc, Totem, Acoustic Energy, Usher, Golden Ear, Polk, Paradigm,  REL and JL subwoofers to try and help the low end and numerous other forgettable Hi Fi favorites. IMHO they're an outright steal at 4k. I'd put them up against DeVore and Harbeth any day. And those sell for 2-3 times as much. 

Sounds like you never owned a Klipsch speaker before. Would you like to try a pair of Klipsch before you say "end game"?

Those who grew up with horns like myself would probably pull their hair out if it were no longer an option, you just can't duplicate the live concert sound and impact they create with DR's.

Have i heard other systems that i like that were not horn loaded ? Sure, but not something i would have in my home for any length of time including any JBL product.

All a matter of preference from one to another, i recommend you judge with your own ears and don't rely on others to do the judging for you.

53 minutes ago, jason str said:

Those who grew up with horns like myself would probably pull their hair out if it were no longer an option, you just can't duplicate the live concert sound and impact they create with DR's.

Have i heard other systems that i like that were not horn loaded ? Sure, but not something i would have in my home for any length of time including any JBL product.

All a matter of preference from one to another, i recommend you judge with your own ears and don't rely on others to do the judging for you.

After multiple highly reviewed, recommended speakers that I couldn’t stand, I’ll only judge for myself. That’s how I got the L100’s and you couldn’t pay me to give them up, regardless of what people say are better. Or could be better. 

• 1 year later...
On 10/22/2019 at 4:25 PM, avguytx said:

So you're trying to decide, I take it?  I had a good friend on AZ tell me that he had heard both the L100 Classics and the "lesser expensive" Studio 590's and the 590's sounded leaps and bounds better.  And he's also heard the Forte 3's but didn't have as much to say about those.  JBL runs those Studio 590's on sale at half off on occasion for $499 each shipped with a 30 day money back guarantee.  Next pair of speakers I buy "new" will probably be those....and I can buy Klipsch at cost/employee purchase price from various dealers I know in the states I was a manufacturers rep in.  Still haven't bought any, though.

But just my thoughts....that's all.

Your friend has the JBL Studio 590's? I am almost in the same boat: I have some cash to spend on a speaker, I also have a vintage Mitsubishi DAA15DC and DP10 amp/pre combo, and no music source yet. I like to have my cake and eat it too: new speakers like the Forte IV's, a new integrated tube or hybrid, and a music source, but I can't dish out $4K+ at this time. So I am looking at the JBL Studio line, in my room size the 580's would be better, and then get either a Schiit tube preamp and a streamer like Cambridge or NAD, and use my vintage amp, or upgrade my front gear with the speakers. Have you heard the JBL Studio models? I have always been a fan of JBL, but that was back in the 70's and 80's when they were perhaps doing things much differently and Better than Today. But still, their sound always put a smile on my face. I heard the Forte III's last year and I got that same smile, and so there is the rub: Forte IV's vs. JBL Studio 580? I can afford the Forte IVs, but I'll have to go less for a music source, additionally, if I get the IV's I can not get some other speakers I would like to have in the other rooms of the house. On the other end of the speaker spectrum are the Elac Carnia 247.4 floors or the Wharfedale EVO 4.4.