Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
Deang

Forte 3 or JBL L100 Classic ...

Recommended Posts

So you're trying to decide, I take it?  I had a good friend on AZ tell me that he had heard both the L100 Classics and the "lesser expensive" Studio 590's and the 590's sounded leaps and bounds better.  And he's also heard the Forte 3's but didn't have as much to say about those.  JBL runs those Studio 590's on sale at half off on occasion for $499 each shipped with a 30 day money back guarantee.  Next pair of speakers I buy "new" will probably be those....and I can buy Klipsch at cost/employee purchase price from various dealers I know in the states I was a manufacturers rep in.  Still haven't bought any, though.

 

But just my thoughts....that's all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Deang said:

... I can't own both.

 

Are you talking about the new, updated L100s? I would love to hear a pair in a good setting. I feel like my 45 yr old 4311s do some things right, but it would be a lot to spend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Marvel said:

 

Are you talking about the new, updated L100s? I would love to hear a pair in a good setting. I feel like my 45 yr old 4311s do some things right, but it would be a lot to spend.

He is talking about the new release versions. I have experience with all iterations of the JBL L100/T/T3 as well as L20/L40/L80/L100/L200 T/T3. 

 

I listened to both of these speakers at Axpona 2019 and preferred the Forte III over the L100 Classics, although neither were up to the standards that the other rooms were producing that weekend. I would recommend Dean finding a pair of JBL L100T and rebuild the crossover to the L100T3 specification. This will get you close to the sound of the newer version while evaluating this purchase decision. This route will still allow for a potential purchase of either pair, while still keeping an eye/ear on the new Cornwall IV. If you want a pair of JBL L100T, I have a project pair you could have for $100 plus some gas money @Deang. Not meant as a solicitation, as this is a blind giveaway only, for a friend in need, with the skills required to pull this off.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would guess that the JBL would be a little "sweeter," and would never give offense.

BUT

I would guess the Klipsch would be clearer, more detailed, more dynamic, and with really good recordings would sound more real.

AlSO

For the same Sound Pressure Level  you would get from 100 watts into a Forte III, you would likely need about 300 watts into the L100, and the L100 could conceivably overload, because it is rated for a max of 200 watts.  I don't think it would, since, at that level we are talking about very brief peaks.  These calculations use a sensitivity rating for the Forte III that is 4 dB lower than the manufacturer's rating, which is about what Stereophile got. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, garyrc said:

I would guess that the JBL would be a little "sweeter," and would never give offense.

 

Well said, Gary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Deang said:

... I can't own both.

Yes you can !

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wish that I can help you...

 

My friend has the 3 original pairs of jbl 100's...

 

The only difference during the production run.. Between them 

Is the material used in the tweeter..

 

Also has the hpm100 speakers

 

And Marantz hd series speakers

 

 

All these speaker designs from Edmund May...

 

With his lot of speakers and Recievers... A total combination of 

15 set ups... 

 

All vintage recievers.. 1970-78..

Marantz , Pioneer , H/K , Sansui..

 

 

He is almost ready to start letting go.. Of his collection..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a gentleman contact me when I was selling my pair of Forte IIIs and offer to trade me his pristine pair of current model L100s plus cash ($500 or so I remember right) for me fortes.   Both were in mint condition. He bought the JBLs without listening to the Klipsch. Aftet hearing the Klipsch, he answered yoru question for you 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 314carpenter said:

This route will still allow for a potential purchase of either pair, while still keeping an eye/ear on the new Cornwall IV

The Cornwall IV's are really good but they are not cheap.

 

10 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

I had a gentleman contact me when I was selling my pair of Forte IIIs and offer to trade me his pristine pair of current model L100s plus cash ($500 or so I remember right) for me fortes.   Both were in mint condition. He bought the JBLs without listening to the Klipsch. Aftet hearing the Klipsch, he answered yoru question for you 😁

I have had only one set of newer JBL's and I can't get rid of them. Never again and they are power hogs on top of sounding crummy. Great combination.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The L100 Classic doesn't have much in common with the original other than aesthetics.

 

@314carpenter While I appreciate the offer, the last thing I need over here is another set vintage speakers to work on. 

 

Cornwall IVs are too much money.

 

Enjoying the responses. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless the rear ported Heresy IVs would be a problem, I would try the IV against the Classic. I think that would be a better comparison. I would like to hear both in the same room. the only real complaint I have heard about the Classic is the low end, but placing them on a closed base would help that. I almost always had my 4311s on shelves. Best house had a fireplace with deep bookcases on each side. Put them right at ear level and they were superb. Used a 35wpc amp on them.

 

The Classics have the vertical alignment better than the old models. I was tempted to cut the baffle out of one of mine and flip it over, so I could have a left/right, but the woofer sits in a slight recess, so I would have to make a whole new baffle. I decided to just enjoy they the way they are.

 

Bruce

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A tough choice to be sure. The new JBLs are reviewing very well and have also caught my attention. The two have different presentations. That being the case the decider could be the next major element, your listening room itself. Some speakers will sound better in it than others, one of the reasons I swapped out my own front mains for Ohms. In the space I live in now they are superior to the RB62 IIs on stands they replaced. When we eventually move the mains may be switched to a Forte of RF7.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, 314carpenter said:

A very accurate statement. Do not confuse any L100 with the new classics, other than they are 3 way speakers in a wood cabinet.

Just like in the original L100...supposed to be a "dressed-up home version of the 4311 monitor", but completely different components used...there is always a trade-off when cosmetics are involved.  Marketing "gurus" is ALWAYS what drives the "comparisons", too!😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Marvel said:

Unless the rear ported Heresy IVs would be a problem, I would try the IV against the Classic. I think that would be a better comparison. I would like to hear both in the same room. the only real complaint I have heard about the Classic is the low end, but placing them on a closed base would help that. I almost always had my 4311s on shelves. Best house had a fireplace with deep bookcases on each side. Put them right at ear level and they were superb. Used a 35wpc amp on them.

 

The Classics have the vertical alignment better than the old models. I was tempted to cut the baffle out of one of mine and flip it over, so I could have a left/right, but the woofer sits in a slight recess, so I would have to make a whole new baffle. I decided to just enjoy they the way they are.

 

Bruce

I've already heard the new Heresy IV "production prototype"...more bass extension...but everything about it has also placed this "IV" model into an entire new "more better" ballgame!  You're in for a BIG SURPRISE!😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, but neither :(  Suggest you look at some of the Pro stuff. The much larger compression drivers like the K-691 just cannot be beat ... especially with a 510 or 402 horn.  Just add some bass bins. Haha, cheaper than a pair of F-3's also :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Deang said:

The L100 Classic doesn't have much in common with the original other than aesthetics.

A very accurate statement. Do not confuse any L100 with the new classics, other than they are 3 way speakers in a wood cabinet.

 

Best bang for the buck 3 way vintage speaker in a space conscious wood cabinet with true impressive bass response to 30Hz for under $1K the JBL 240Ti is my go to speaker. Above 50Hz, another story completely. If you want to do better than 240Ti  you could look for JBL M2 Master Reference Monitors or JBL 4367 Synthesis consumer versions. Expect to expand your budget $5K-8K.

 

Other recommendations for high performance, lowish price tags, and smaller cabinet sizes on the used market that will beat the snot out of the ones the OP is entertaining are:

Revel Performa F52

Definitive Technology BP7000

Paradigm Reference Signature S8

 

Klipschorns make the performance list, but unfortunately their size puts them out of the running for this list

 

Of course each one of these speakers has their place, and will perform admirably in their own respectful ways in most peoples homes.

 

In the brand new speaker world, it is very hard to beat proven winners on the used market for any given price range.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Emile said:

:(  Suggest you look at some of the Pro stuff.

 

I've been to Dean's house... perhaps a size issue.. He certainly knows what Klipsch has available.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...