Any Jeep TJ Owners out there??

rockhound

I'm looking to buy a used 1997-2006 Jeep "TJ" Wrangler. I have owned a TJ once before (The LJ model) and absolutely loved it. I have been looking around for a clean used model and to be honest I'm shocked at the prices on these. They go from moderately priced to stupid high. I would be interested in hearing from other TJ owners about things to look for when purchasing.

We have a 97 model. TJs are notorious for cracked exhaust manifolds. We bought one with the 4.0 L straight 6 and manual 5 speed. It had a bad universal joint, cracked exhaust manifold, bad brakes, bad top, and worn out transmission sychronizers and  tires for a reasonable $3,300.00. I've repaired all that (less synchros) and its been real good now for several years. Lay under it, look at the bottom side of the trans, transfer case, engine. Look for leaks, cracks, or damage to these expensive parts. People abuse these things.  Jeeps are fun to drive around the house or at the beach or to a nearby lake. Not something I want to drive for hours. 

image.png.2fed88a06e28134e376a37223f10336d.png

5 hours ago, JL Sargent said:

We have a 97 model. TJs are notorious for cracked exhaust manifolds. We bought one with the 4.0 L straight 6 and manual 5 speed. It had a bad universal joint, cracked exhaust manifold, bad brakes, bad top, and worn out transmission sychronizers and  tires for a reasonable $3,300.00. I've repaired all that (less synchros) and its been real good now for several years. Lay under it, look at the bottom side of the trans, transfer case, engine. Look for leaks, cracks, or damage to these expensive parts. People abuse these things.  Jeeps are fun to drive around the house or at the beach or to a nearby lake. Not something I want to drive for hours. 

image.png.2fed88a06e28134e376a37223f10336d.png

Thanks for the info nice looking TJ!

Found a 2002 X model with 34k original miles on it a couple hours from me. It has a rhino lined exterior and interior not sure how I feel about the exterior being rhino lined, might be a real pain to keep clean. If everything else is solid this will probably follow me home as finding these for a good price with low mileage is next to impossible.

I would suggest being patient and waiting for a Jeep that is closer to you if possible. You won't be under the gun so much to buy it. Rhino is very good at hiding imperfections in the body work such as rust. That's bad if you're buying, good if you're selling. I don't like that or "tread bright" attached to the  corners and door bottoms of the Jeep. Who knows what's under that?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rockhound said:

Found a 2002 X model with 34k original miles on it a couple hours from me. It has a rhino lined exterior and interior not sure how I feel about the exterior being rhino lined, might be a real pain to keep clean. If everything else is solid this will probably follow me home as finding these for a good price with low mileage is next to impossible.

Send me the VIN and I'll look at it's history.