WTB Vintage Receiver (Fisher, Marantz, etc.)

gkitt80

UPDATE: Found a Marantz PM8006. Thanks everyone for your input!

Hello all, first time post here - I recently purchased a set of Klipsch KG4's locally here in Philadelphia and while I have a receiver to use in the interim, I really would like to purchase a vintage tube receiver/integrated amp. I am not necessarily looking for a specific brand, although I have heard a Fisher 400 amp recently and really loved the way that sounded. Fully restored amps would be ideal - I am not a electrician, and while I am happy learn how to DIY for some of my other hobbies (woodworking, etc.), I feel like DIY restoring one of these may be above my paygrade. Budget is flexible, but to get the conversation started lets shoot for under $1000.

Thanks!

Edited by gkitt80

48 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

TUBES are a REQUIREMENT, huh?  Too bad, since your budget is under a grand!  That leaves out the H/K 930 twin-powered receiver, then...too bad!  It would be a great match for your speakers!

Tubes are not necessarily a requirement, more like a preference - I just started there as I was impressed by my recent listening session with the Fisher 400. I will definitely do some research on the HK 930! Also budget is flexible, but from my research it appears that restored vintage tube receivers from Fisher, Marantz, etc. can be found in the $600-$900 range, so my stated budget isn’t too far off (although completely open to receiving a reality check!)

28 minutes ago, gkitt80 said:

Tubes are not necessarily a requirement, more like a preference - I just started there as I was impressed by my recent listening session with the Fisher 400. I will definitely do some research on the HK 930! Also budget is flexible, but from my research it appears that restored vintage tube receivers from Fisher, Marantz, etc. can be found in the $600-$900 range, so my stated budget isn’t too far off (although completely open to receiving a reality check!)

Replied to your PM with more information.

Unless you are fully committed to a "tube" amp, I suggest you look at some vintage SS amps also.  Personally, I tried some (OK; just 2) tube amps and they did not even come close to my Marantz 1060 and 2252B.  Just an opinion :D 

OK; reread the thread and saw "tubes" are not a necessity. And, found recommendations for the "solid state" HK-930.  Very good receiver! Maybe also look into units like the Yamaha CR-1020.  Let us know what kind of horsepower you are looking for and maybe we can "refine" our recommendations. Good luck :D 

53 minutes ago, Emile said:

Unless you are fully committed to a "tube" amp, I suggest you look at some vintage SS amps also.  Personally, I tried some (OK; just 2) tube amps and they did not even come close to my Marantz 1060 and 2252B.  Just an opinion :D 

OK; reread the thread and saw "tubes" are not a necessity. And, found recommendations for the "solid state" HK-930.  Very good receiver! Maybe also look into units like the Yamaha CR-1020.  Let us know what kind of horsepower you are looking for and maybe we can "refine" our recommendations. Good luck :D 

There are hybred Fisher Tube amps too that use a combination of tubes and transistors. I have one in pristine shape in my basement.

Wb

1 hour ago, HDBRbuilder said:

Jim likes the 930, too....he must have something like that laying around to get rid of also!  🤣

I do like the 930, and the 730, etc.  However, the OP posted a desire for a possible Fisher tube receiver, and I just happen to have one available that is in beautiful condition and sounds fantastic.  So, I have been communicating with him regarding that unit.  It's a great piece and I'd like to sell it to someone who will appreciate it.

36 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

I do like the 930, and the 730, etc.  However, the OP posted a desire for a possible Fisher tube receiver, and I just happen to have one available that is in beautiful condition and sounds fantastic.  So, I have been communicating with him regarding that unit.  It's a great piece and I'd like to sell it to someone who will appreciate it.

I hear ya!  Just you wait until I get moved and have the room available to grab up stuff from here and there...LOL!  Part of my retirement supplemental income thing is doing just that...just don't have any more room here right now....I have some sweet quad H/K stuff ready to go once I am totally moved,  too!  Downsizing that after I move instead of before I move, though!...even tho my bad back will need to suffer thru moving it all again!  With such a renewed interest in early high-quality quad era stuff...gonna start moving it right after I move again....We'll talk sometime!

BTW, it was ME who picked up that H/K 630 w/excellent wood case  from Tromprof, in case you wondered!  I had him down to 100 bucks plus pick-up, but I still gave him the full 200 originally asked for it after I saw it in person and he had demo'd it on his K-horns...it is SOOOOO SWEEEEEET!!!😉  It's gonna be one of my "keepers", tho!

• Like 1

On 10/23/2019 at 3:40 PM, Emile said:

Correct. I spent a small fortune on tubes only to realize the old Marantz's are just great and quite similar to sound quality. At least for these battered ears.

• Haha 1

Thanks for all the replies all - sorry for my absence over the last few days...real life got in the way

Anyways, there was a question earlier in the thread that asked what kind of wattage I am looking for. While I don't have an answer specifically to that question, I can describe the room and listening levels to answer this in a (I hope) roundabout way. My listening room size is approx 20' wide x 40' long (although my listening "space" e.g. office takes up approx 1/3 of this room). I do I have some flexibility in terms of placement of the speakers / listening position, and I am not opposed to moving the speakers for listening sessions, and moving them back to their wife approved home afterwards. Listening levels will be what I call average - most days will be soft to medium, with the rare occasional cranking session when wife/kids aren't home and I am feeling frisky. I also have a seperate headphone setup, so will likely just transition to that when I want to crank up the volume.

My current speakers are the KG4s, but do plan on upgrading down the line after I have a chance to listen to some of the KG4s bigger brothers (mainly the Forte II and Forte III, but also will be plan to eventually audition the Heresy speakers as well). My sources for my system will be Vinyl (have not yet acquired my turntable, although currently looking at the Technics 1500c) and a Schiit DAC that will play double duty in my headphone setup.

Hopefully all of this helps - I do appreciate all the recommendations (please keep them coming!), both here and in PM. The Fisher 500c Jimbo mentioned above is definitely in the running, but recommendations have also been made for other varieties/brands, including the Marantz PM8004 that I am going to be auditioning next week, that have given me some options to think about.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gkitt80 said:

there was a question earlier in the thread that asked what kind of wattage I am looking for

Primarily depends what you will be upgrading to :D  Had KG-4's powered by a vintage Marantz 1060 (30wpc) ... very nice clear sound and "loud."  If you are thinking of Khorns or LaScalas, low power will be fine.  If you are thinking CF-3/4's or Pro stuff, I would recommend at least 200wpc.

2 hours ago, Emile said:

Primarily depends what you will be upgrading to :D  Had KG-4's powered by a vintage Marantz 1060 (30wpc) ... very nice clear sound and "loud."  If you are thinking of Khorns or LaScalas, low power will be fine.  If you are thinking CF-3/4's or Pro stuff, I would recommend at least 200wpc.

Upgrade would likely stop at Forte's - don't really feel like anything bigger will clear the wife approval meter!

I am flirting with the idea of buying a Yaqin integrated, mainly because (i) they look sweet, (ii) the price seems to generally be right and (iii) my perception (perhaps incorrect) that a new amp will require less maintenance/potential headaches in the long run than a vintage amp. Any input on Yaqins? Any reaction to point (iii) above?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, gkitt80 said:

Upgrade would likely stop at Forte's - don't really feel like anything bigger will clear the wife approval meter!

Haha ... just go slowly ... she will appreciate the better and better sound. FYI; never was impressed with the Forte's ... suggest you look for CF-3/4's or some "pro" stuff. :D 

Sorry, but no clue on these Yaqin's ... tried several tube amps ($1000-$1500) but thought SS was better in that price range. :) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...