Now that you've been in this audio craziness for a while.....

jimjimbo

When you don't really "need" anything to add to a system, but something pops up for sale...what do you normally consider more seriously purchasing, everything being equal, availability of budget is there....

Amp?

Preamp?

More speakers?

Turntable?

Vinyl?

Tubes?

Parts?

Food for the kids or pets?

Man, this is a good question. I'm currently content:

I wanted La Scalas, have them.

I wanted an early gen ATI amp, have it (even if it's a bit fussy).

I wanted big efficient subs, have them.

Still would like to try the 396's or Jubes in my home setup to see how they sound. And I'd love to have a Leben amp some day, but I'm absolutely hovering on my personal threshold for diminishing returns unless the aforementioned items land in my lap with some amazing prices.

i’m at that point in life where i’m remembering “the ones that got away.”  Stupidly passed on a MC225 a few years ago -- one of those once in a lifetime opportunities.  I was in the middle of relocating and decided to pass and now i’m kicking myself every time i see a Macintosh.  

Same with letting go with a Fender Telecaster that i had ... over 20 years later and i can’t forgive myself for letting it go. Thus, i want to get another. 

9 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

i’m remembering “the ones that got away.”  

Yep, I feel your pain....but, there are always more opportunities, just seems that's it's so random that it's tough to set "wants" at the right time.....guess that goes for a lot of things.....

Want more goats....sure, why not.

Want more chickens....sure, why not.

Want more dogs....sure, why not.

Want more kids.....uh, wait.

• Like 1

Good topic Jim. I still have not heard all of the Klipsch stuff that I want to. I picked up a pair of Chorus 1's while coming to work this time. I have owned the Chorus 2 but not the 1 so wanted to hear the difference between versions. There are also a few pro things I want to try. So I guess my answer is while my main 2 channel system sounds great I still want to compare models that I haven't owned. I will say the days of traveling 800 miles for a set of speakers is over for me.

I'm more in the camp of learning how to fix up heritage and pro stuff,  have a set of HIP's now that I will be doing that to. I also have a set of 904's that with the help of another forum member will be helping me build passive networks for them, just for fun.

• Like 1

it's probably a combination of amps and speakers.  I'm still going to jump on deals should they arise, but primarily with those two and I'm really not looking to get back into vinyl so no turntables (maybe a revox 795, just because I had one and thought it was cool).  

10 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

When you don't really "need" anything to add to a system, but something pops up for sale...what do you normally consider more seriously purchasing, everything being equal, availability of budget is there....

Amp?

Preamp?

More speakers?

Turntable?

Vinyl?

Tubes?

Parts?

Food for the kids or pets?

Air, food, water and strongly testing NOS vacuum tubes. ;)

If not for spares, what use is basement storage for? 

Wb

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I never really consider buying anything unless I have an immediate, or slightly in the future, need for it.

Really?  How do you truly know if you need it until you buy it and play with it, and then figure out more things that would work perfectly with that thing that you didn't know you needed?  Don't act like you have all this restraint until you post a list of everything you have currently.  LOL, you are better than me at restraint, so I'll give you that. 

At this point and time, there's nothing I'm really searching for intently, which is nice for a change.  Now, if something comes along for a reasonable price, whatever it may be, I consider it.  I may not keep said item for very long and will tinker with it.  I have come to a point where I'm content in the electronics in both of my upstairs systems....which I alternate by moving the couch around.  System "1" is the Onkyo stack which sounds outstanding on the Belle clones and the Carver stack is a powerhouse setup and runs other speakers like Cerwin Vega VS-150s's (primarily).  I have gear I'm going to get rid of now and before buying anything else, I really need to build the LP and CD storage racks plus a new rack for the Onkyo gear.  

Maybe that info was pertinent to the conversation.  I'm quite content with what I have now but I'm always perusing in case there's a deal to be had but nothing else is needed or wanted.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pete H said:

Really?  How do you truly know if you need it until you buy it and play with it, and then figure out more things that would work perfectly with that thing that you didn't know you needed?  Don't act like you have all this restraint until you post a list of everything you have currently.  LOL, you are better than me at restraint, so I'll give you that. 

Normally I'll think of a spot in or around my home that needs music.  I'll build that system how I want it.  If there's a component somewhere in the chain that is questionable, I'll replace it.  That goes on till that system is where I want it.  Normally I'll keep it that way for quite a while.  The only system I have now that's in flux is my patio and I'm working on it (slowly LOL).

• Like 1

I thought I was done after buying a Parasound A23.  I have a 4.1 all digital music system with 4 Heresy and 1 (or two if I steal the one from HT) sub.  I have a 5.1 Martin Logan HT.  That should be more than enough for anyone.  Then I think, what if I sold it all and started over, an audio system mulligan.  I think I'd keep the music server but pretty much everything else could go.  I think I'd do 2, 2.1 channel systems.  I'm not convinced of the need for 13+ channels of HT surround sound.  The MLs are very good, the Theatre I perhaps the best center channel I could ever afford and yet.  I could sell the MLs and buy a cheaper center channel to turn the Heresy into the HT setup, then just buy 2 speakers for a 2.1 setup.

Maybe I'll try a firesale on Kijiji over one weekend only and if no one bites, I'll say "well, I tried" and keep everything.

I am always swapping out my gear. I have some THX Ultras in storage, that aren’t going anywhere until I get a dedicated room for them.

I am just renting a small place at the moment so when HT amps and speakers I’ve wanted to try, pop up at the right price, it doesn’t take me long to take the plunge.

Trying “new” subwoofers are also a dirty pleasure of mine. I’ve probably owned 30 or so the past 4 years. Haha!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rockhound said:

So I guess my answer is while my main 2 channel system sounds great I still want to compare models that I haven't owned. I will say the days of traveling 800 miles for a set of speakers is over for me.

This is true for me as well. I like compare and contrast in my own space to see what I like and how each model sounds and comparew to each other.   I am down and satisfied with the main system now. Got my KP 250 replacements for outdoors now (only thing I want more is a pair of kp 301s or perhaps old model 396s).  

• Like 1

Amp and preamp in recent history gets most of my attention. The last 18-24 months I've had several of both. I'm pretty much a set it and forget guy on the speakers, having had my Khorns for 14 years before moving on to a 2-way active set up just because I wanted to experiment. I think these speakers will be with me for a long time. I've got a set of Forte II that first saw the light of day after leaving Hope in my living room and have never left my ownership through 3 houses probably 25+ years.

I'm always tempted to get a different high end TT but when you factor in the table, arm, cartridge and phono stage even at used gear prices that ads up quickly. Synergy being key its hard to throw a $2K cartridge on a $500 table or get a $1,500 phono stage for your $150 cartridge. All at once is beyond my comfort level even thought the total sum is not really an issue, I just can't justify it in my mind.

Vinyl I think deserves its own thread. I've got probably 10 different titles of which I have over 5 versions of each. New releases, rereleases and hunting down the perfect 1st release is all way too time and money consuming for me. I seem to be a hoarder as I never sell off the slightly less perfect version in case my more perfect version might falter. Hell, I have probably 50 Music Matters Blue Note 45RPM reissues all with the same serial number that are not even opened yet, as they come up on 10 years since I've purchased them. How does that make sense?