Songs that crazy people ruined for you?

Bosco-d-gama

Over the decades there have been several popular songs ‘listening’ ruined....... meaning that I cannot stand to hear them ever again......... because others abused them so much or badly that hence forth they turn my stomach when played.

One such example for me is ‘Bridge Over Troubled Waters’ by Simon and Garfunkel. Long ago I had a first cousin commit suicide. My mom, in some twisted sensibility, played that song over and over and very loudly in some peculiar celebration of how she was assisting others to manage such a horrific situation. She felt that she WAS that bridge over troubled waters. She did this at my cousins house amongst all their misery. It was really weird then and that song was destroyed for me forever.

My brother had this habit of singing out loud to his girlfriends. A great many tunes got slaughtered in that endeavor. Nights in White Satin........ OMG!!

Anyone else ??

1 hour ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

Over the decades there have been several popular songs ‘listening’ ruined....... meaning that I cannot stand to hear them ever again......... because others abused them so much or badly that hence forth they turn my stomach when played.

One such example for me is ‘Bridge Over Troubled Waters’ by Simon and Garfunkel. Long ago I had a first cousin commit suicide. My mom, in some twisted sensibility, played that song over and over and very loudly in some peculiar celebration of how she was assisting others to manage such a horrific situation. She felt that she WAS that bridge over troubled waters. She did this at my cousins house amongst all their misery. It was really weird then and that song was destroyed for me forever.

My brother had this habit of singing out loud to his girlfriends. A great many tunes got slaughtered in that endeavor. Nights in White Satin........ OMG!!

Anyone else ??

i just heard Nights in White Satin on the radio when i was driving home.

there are several songs that have been “lost” to the “ex-girlfriend.”  Songs that i emotionally attached to her and now that i don’t really even care to hear her name let alone remember her, i can’t hear that song without remembering. i tell myself “she can’t steal this song from me”;  but so far the curse remains. some really good songs have been lost.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

The basic old radio killed too many for me.  I cant stand to hear Axl Rose's voice anymore. Many Beatles songs. Nothing from Heart and my buddy's wife is slowly killing Fleetwood's hits from my tolerance.  Dont get me started on Mumford, the Counting Crows and a slew more.

• Like 2

There’s a South Park episode where the boys were supposed to get Stevie Nicks to perform for a group of veterans but they could not get her to sing. So they got a goat instead and nobody noticed the difference. Ever since whenever I hear Stevie Nicks all I hear is goat sounds.😳

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

There’s a South Park episode where the boys were supposed to get Stevie Nicks to perform for a group of veterans but they could not get her to sing. So they got a goat instead and nobody noticed the difference. Ever since whenever I hear Stevie Nicks all I hear is goat sounds.😳

i’d pick the goat too. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

That's so true and hysterical!  I'm sure everyone has experienced weird things like that with music, I know there's quite a few that trigger some strange associations for me. 

Local guy's brother LOVED "KISS" and knew every word to every song, did the make-up and everything.  So when he found out his brother wanted to go to the show in Cleveland he asked me about trying to find something cheap for the 4 of them.  His brother had medical problems and had been off work for a couple month's and didn't have the money but had never seen them and "had" to go see the LAST show somehow.  He wanted to take his wife and two teenage daughters with him just so he could share his love for KISS with them.  THAT in itself sold me.  A family outing!  I hooked him up with 4 comp tickets in Row 10 Center for the show and gave them to his brother.  His brother made it a point to stop by later and thank me for the tickets telling me they were over the moon with the seats and show.  Had the best time of their lives he said.  

Here's the down-side of it all and the reason I'll NEVER listen to another Kiss LP.  Not that I listen to a lot of Kiss anyway!  Two weeks later I heard the guy committed suicide while laying down on top of his younger brother's grave in the cemetery.  In talking a bit later with his older brother I found out both of them were Kiss freaks.  NOPE NEVER AGAIN!  

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

I suspect that the goat would be cheaper to dress and happy eating anything.

Wb

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

Here's the down-side of it all and the reason I'll NEVER listen to another Kiss LP.  Not that I listen to a lot of Kiss anyway!  Two weeks later I heard the guy committed suicide while laying down on top of his younger brother's grave in the cemetery.  In talking a bit later with his older brother I found out both of them were Kiss freaks.  NOPE NEVER AGAIN!  

the dude was under some sort of torment.  your generosity and kindness probably took him out of all that darkness -- albeit on for a few hours. you did a good thing. 

• Thanks 1

Stairway To Heaven was so overplayed it is one of the few songs I click past if listening to streaming music.  I confess I too was guilty of overplaying it.  It was the last song played essentially every night when I had a mobile DJ biz in the 70s.  I played it on tape while I packed up the turntables for the trip home.

Stairway . . . is really not a bad song, just a victim of overexposure.  As to songs that are bad in their own right, of which there are many IMO, they’re the subject of a different thread.  

13 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

the dude was under some sort of torment.  your generosity and kindness probably took him out of all that darkness -- albeit on for a few hours. you did a good thing. 

Yea, I realize all that but when I heard his older brother was off work for his brother's funeral.  Then asked him what happened I was like WOW at least he should have been happy but why???  Not worth shooting yourself over.  His wife and daughters?  He had a nice lil rig and a lot of albums his brother said when we talked.  Kinda fishing for a buyer it sounded like.  Nope, not me.  Just stuck with me is all. so no Kiss for me ever again.  Too freaky for me.

As mentioned my overly romantic older brother would ‘croon’ along to select favorites loudly serenading an ever lengthening list of aghast girlfriends. It was at a time whence I necessarily had to rely upon him for transportation. In other words I was stuck, a captured audience. Fortunately he was older enough that most of his ‘selected’ tunes were pop. But he did ruin Donovan and the Moody Blues in perpetuity 😖. Sadly he had his poor heart handed to back to him on a routine basis. It was awkward.

4 hours ago, Mighty Favog said:

The "program saturation" that went on with the radio around me in the late 70's killed Baker Street by Gerry Rafferty and anything by Jimmy Buffett.

I know what you mean by Baker Street, another excellent song that was overplayed.  

• Like 1

On 10/24/2019 at 5:35 PM, Bosco-d-gama said:

• Thanks 1