Any Suggestions for a Clean Woofer Grille?

MEH Synergy

As the title states, Any Suggestions for a Clean looking Woofer Grille? I don't want something that looks "cheap".  I want something that compliments the look of the KI 362 IIs.   I strongly prefer to listen with grilles off all the time due to the negative effect at lower levels. I just need to prote t the woofer from little fingers.... Any suggestions are appreciated.  Thanks. If I can't find something reasonably priced and aesthetically pleasing, moving blankets covering when not listening will be the way to go. 

Did my 904's (and boxes I build for the 510's) with Bob Crites (almost) original grille cloth on plywood. Note, mdf is better for this since it supposedly does not warp. But, they are held on by velcro tape ... not easy to remove and probably will not last many "off/on" cycles :( 

Tried uploading a pic ... jeez; now limit is 204KB ... what is going on??? Resizing ...Note; does not look "great," but pic was taken with full "flash" ... under normal conditions it looks perfect and plain black :) 

IMG_2007.jpg

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Emile said:

Did my 904 (and boxes I build for the 510's) with Bob Crites (almost) original grille cloth on plywood.

Appreciate your input.   Let me be a little more specific as to what I am looking for.  I want a grille to cover the woofer ONLY and wish to leave the mid and tweeter horn naked. Naked up top is pleasing to me 😉.   I agree with @rockhound that a lot of the "universal" grills look cheesy, hence my post here. 

3 minutes ago, Emile said:

OK; last try :D  Just a plain speaker grill such as https://www.parts-express.com/flat-steel-mesh-2-piece-grill-for-15-speaker-black--269-006 . Looks like the grill snaps onto the retaining ring ...

Image result for Flat Steel Mesh 2-Piece Grill for 15" Speaker

Hmmmm that may do it. Doesn't look terrible, reasonably priced.... Note to self, check this one out. Thanks buddy. 

• Haha 1

Above will give no protection from "little hands/fingers.  OK; let's go "square." Could not find say 16" round ones ... but haha did not look very hard.  Make some "edged" square grills (or buy them) ... put a thin square wood frame around the woofers ... insert grills when needed.

Or, maybe easier, put a thin square wood frame "inside" these grills (or even just use a cut flat grill) ... velcro on the box and the frame ... done :D Or ... grill cloth on a square or round frame ... velcro ... done :D   

• Like 1

If you like them uncovered then not to be a smart ***, but teach the little one that those are items that are off limits.  My granddaughter is 2.5 and she's been around all of my equipment and speakers (without grills) since she was born and from day one it was something I taught her to not mess with.  I am teaching her how I want things powered up and she knows how to work the volume but doesn't touch anything without asking.  My remotes lay around along with cell phones, tablets and anything else that many put out of reach, that's just not my thing and little kids can be taught about anything you want, just be consistent where no means no 100% of the time.  Just my view of it as there will be many more things that come up that are "no you can't".  

Or, you can just put metal or rigid plastic grills on that will stop flying objects and poking fingers....   

• Haha 1

@Pete H, you are lucky. Not to attack you or be smart either, but if you have kids, have any of them EVER done anything different than what you taught them? They have?   Amazing.   My point exactly. Obviously, I plan to teach my child exactly what you have stated, but my take is why be sorry when you can be safe?   Your input absolutely makes sense, so much so that I consider it common sense.   And I absolutely agree with you.  To play it cautious, perhaps moving blankets doubled or tripled over will work just fine as I am teaching her exactly what you stated and will prevent problems/ temptation.  Thanks. 

31 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

@Pete H, you are lucky. Not to attack you or be smart either, but if you have kids, have any of them EVER done anything different than what you taught them? They have?   Amazing.   My point exactly. Obviously, I plan to teach my child exactly what you have stated, but my take is why be sorry when you can be safe?   Your input absolutely makes sense, so much so that I consider it common sense.   And I absolutely agree with you.  To play it cautious, perhaps moving blankets doubled or tripled over will work just fine as I am teaching her exactly what you stated and will prevent problems/ temptation.  Thanks. 

I'm glad you didn't take it wrong, it wasn't meant to be, just information as to how we approach kids in general, nieces, nephews, grand children and other peoples kids that come over.  Setting rules is really tough and takes a lot of effort but the end result is happier kids and parents/grandparents.  I'm only telling you what's worked for me consistently over the years with kids, adults, animals and myself, rules, boundaries and discipline are healthy things.   I've never had to lay a hand on any of the kids, but they learn very quickly that no is no.  You have to do what works for you.  My nieces and nephews call it uncle Pete's boot camp and we all laugh about it but in reality, they all want to come and spend as much time at our place as they can.  They know the difference between love and boundaries.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Pete H said:

I'm only telling you what's worked for me consistently over the years with kids, adults, animals and myself, rules, boundaries and discipline are healthy things.   I've never had to lay a hand on any of the kids, but they learn very quickly that no is no.  You have to do what works for you. 

NO, I appreciate the input. My wife's cousin came her from China with her boy and I was GRITTING my teeth.   I hate to criticize, but in my head, she was parenting AT ALL and let the boy do whatever he wanted.   Not in my house. He didn't take a liking to me as I laid ground rules down IMMEDIATELY.  The cultural differences were striking.   I have a feeling my style may be similar to yours. 

• Like 1

I run an operation that has family's coming in all the time and I see it all, but I have no problem jumping in when parents can't or won't control their kids and taking the reins.  I get some interesting reactions at times, but typically, when it's over, they comment on how their kids listened to me and never listen to them.  Since we're on an audio forum, I really think that tone and delivery have a lot to do with them believing that you're serious.  Your cousins kid, given some time in a more structured environment, without the enabler, would have come around.  My sister in law will let my wife know that my niece needs some uncle Pete time and then gets frustrated because Macy loves hanging with me and Denise and never gives us a problem, but she can push her moms buttons.  Life is great!  Sorry, I've taken this completely off subject, which never happens here.  

• Haha 1