How rare are original K77 AlNiCo Tweeters?

HornyWoofer

wvu80 I see you mentioned Trey Cannon crossover rebuild service. I looks like he is referring people to Jemperformanceaudio. Has anyone seen photos of Trey Cannon restoration or Jemperformanceaudio restoration? Just curious what the layout looks like. If it were up to I would prefer to find the exact caps that were in there but that is probably not even possible.

• Klipsch Employees
On 1/15/2020 at 11:26 AM, HornyWoofer said:

wvu80 I see you mentioned Trey Cannon crossover rebuild service. I looks like he is referring people to Jemperformanceaudio. Has anyone seen photos of Trey Cannon restoration or Jemperformanceaudio restoration? Just curious what the layout looks like. If it were up to I would prefer to find the exact caps that were in there but that is probably not even possible.

The old oil filled caps were replaced with Poly film caps in about 94 maybe earlier.   

• Like 1

Thanks for reply about caps. Now that I have these La Scalas they are like the elephant in the room. Not sure what direction they are going to go in. Goal is to try to stay original. Waiting for K-77 tweeters to arrive to see what they sound like with tweeters. Running them right now with no tweeters and a pair of KG-4s sitting next to them. On an HK730 receiver.  So far, definitely notice a difference in source music. A bad recording/album is very difficult to listen to. 

On 1/13/2020 at 4:53 PM, Randyh said:

if these were my speakers  , and if  the wood is intact with no marks , I would strip  these to the bare wood . then a very-very  light varnish or   a veneer , there are also piano finished speakers that really look  great in black , but a plain old black lascala just doesn't bring justice to these speakers -

I don't know about that

DSC_0014.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Randyh said:

Hey not bad at all  ---------- good job ----what did these look like before -------it would be nice to see a before and after ---------what kind of paint did you use ----really nice -congratulations -they look brand new -

Looked bad.  Previous owner had done a real bad job.  Really stubborn varnish and a lot of chips in the plywood.  Had old stapled factory grills.  Emron paint.  Many hours into it.  I would not do it again.  Easier to work overtime and buy new Lascalla 2s

7 minutes ago, Randyh said:

-we painted  a Delorean once with Imron that was leftover from an Aircraft  job -   it was great with the Stainless steel body panels -

-was that the LASCALA you  had for sale with the Laser badge a couple of years ago -------

Yes I sold one.  I thought about painting it to match the other,  For about half a second.

La Scalas are finally complete  Once I screwed tweeters in and connected them, I realized I was getting no signal to the tweeters through the crossover. I needed tweeters anyway because one was missing. A 2mF cap on right and left boards were bad. I ordered a cap kit from Crites. Once I soldered everything in I fired them up. I though wow I made a huge mistake getting involved with these La Scalas they sounded bad. But now three four five days later the caps are settling in and they get better sounding everyday.  I never realized cap break in was so noticeable.