Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
charbuggie

Klipsch Jubilee amp decision

Recommended Posts

 Hey I everyone.  I have been liquidating alot of equipment to go with one setup.  I have some great friends from this forum helping me.  I will be ordering some jubes from Corey and I'm going to stay analogue in the system.  Going to figure out a way to use an analogue active crossover on the front end and use a Manley massive passive to EQ.  I'm sure I can get Marchand to build me an active crossover.  Sure would love to find a pass labs XVR1 or one of the first watt crossovers but none to be found.  Also been looking for the unobtainable TD4002 drivers...  If someone knows where to find any of these please let me know.  Also any comments on my project, please chime in.  

Now the question I have is I have two mint MC60's  and a citation II, i could use on the top end.  Which one do I go with?  Or I can sale both and get this booger.  I have heard one and loved it.

https://www.passlabs.com/amplifier/xa30.8

By the way my preamp is a TRL the dude.  Don't expect many to know much about it, but I really like it. The only thing that sucks about the preamp is all the inputs and outs are RCA.  I sure would like to go XLR to whatever crossover I get and XLR to the massive passive and onto the amp, but the world is not perfect. 

Now for the bass bins I have a crown stereo reference II which would do great on them or I have two classe DR-8s I could use.  

I know it is crazy not going with a xilica but I have a great turntable and vinyl...  I just can't make myself put digital in the vinyl path.  Just call me nostalgic I guess.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, charbuggie said:

 Hey I everyone.  I have been liquidating alot of equipment to go with one setup.  I have some great friends from this forum helping me.  I will be ordering some jubes from Corey and I'm going to stay analogue in the system.  Going to figure out a way to use an analogue active crossover on the front end and use a Manley massive passive to EQ.  I'm sure I can get Marchand to build me an active crossover.  Sure would love to find a pass labs XVR1 or one of the first watt crossovers but none to be found.  Also been looking for the unobtainable TD4002 drivers...  If someone knows where to find any of these please let me know.  Also any comments on my project, please chime in.  

Now the question I have is I have two mint MC60's  and a citation II, i could use on the top end.  Which one do I go with?  Or I can sale both and get this booger.  I have heard one and loved it.

https://www.passlabs.com/amplifier/xa30.8

By the way my preamp is a TRL the dude.  Don't expect many to know much about it, but I really like it. The only thing that sucks about the preamp is all the inputs and outs are RCA.  I sure would like to go XLR to whatever crossover I get and XLR to the massive passive and onto the amp, but the world is not perfect. 

Now for the bass bins I have a crown stereo reference II which would do great on them or I have two classe DR-8s I could use.  

I know it is crazy not going with a xilica but I have a great turntable and vinyl...  I just can't make myself put digital in the vinyl path.  Just call me nostalgic I guess.

If you want the top-end to show more colorations when rolling tubes, go with the MC60's.

 

BUT, if you want ultra-wide-band frequency response and little changes in coloration when rolling tubes, go with the Citation II...it was specifically designed to reduce the coloration impact of rolling differing tubes into it.  IDEALLY, when using a Citation Ii amp it really SHOULD be used with the CItation I pre-amp, though!  Stu Hegeman designed them both to mate perfectly together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know some are happy with Jubes with passive crossovers. Don't know if anyone has done analog active. Will you be able to set delays for driver alignments?

And oh yea "We don't need no stinking TADS":)  Enjoy the stock drivers for a while, you may thoroughly enjoy them and find no need to change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, babadono said:

Will you be able to set delays for driver alignments?

 

Not unless he uses interconnects about 5,000,000 feet long.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/26/2019 at 8:24 PM, charbuggie said:

I will be ordering some jubes from Corey

AWESOME :D  Still want to get some, but would have to remove walls/etc in my house :(  Using (smaller) KPT-904's ... pretty good, but they are not jubilees :(  Post some pics when you get them :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Edgar said:

 

Not unless he uses interconnects about 5,000,000 feet long.

I think I remember an OLD Rane analog electronic crossover that had "delay" knobs for each section or for two out of three for a 3 way so the mid and high could be delayed from the lows. Don't know how they did it in the analog domain... but I don't know how say Xilica does it the digital domain either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Emile said:

AWESOME :D  Still want to get some, but would have to remove walls/etc in my house :(  


* don’t blame the walls when the Little Lady is the Real issue — the walls are Much cheaper to remove —

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My MWM cabinets are "temporary"... 🙄

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, richieb said:

don’t blame the walls when the Little Lady is the Real issue — the walls are Much cheaper to remove

Yes; much cheaper than a divorce :D  Any suggestions? See pic :)  Sorry for the lousy little pic, but now getting the message (corrected) "you are only allowed to upload 102kB." Annoying ... used to be 2MEGABYTES :( 

IMG_2267.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Emile said:

getting the massage

and still posting? you're awesome:)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, babadono said:

and still posting

OK; no massage ... corrected :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, babadono said:

I think I remember an OLD Rane analog electronic crossover that had "delay" knobs for each section or for two out of three for a 3 way so the mid and high could be delayed from the lows. Don't know how they did it in the analog domain...

 

I looked at the schematic for the unit that you referenced in a later post. They use a string of 1st-order allpass filters, which approximate delay over a modest bandwidth.

 

Quote

but I don't know how say Xilica does it the digital domain either.

 

Digital delay is trivially easy -- store the samples in memory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, babadono said:

and still posting? you're awesome:)


* not too much credit, Eric. I think spellcheck got him - “ he would have to remove his ballz” — 

(but I’m lucky - a basement with a 30 ft. front wall helps) —

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Roy claims that you can actually "somewhat" set delays with an analog crossover network.  It's just not exact and best I can tell it makes for a ridiculous network.  I know nothing about this stuff, I'm just parroting chatter.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't comment on the analogue systems you are talking about, but I can tell you that my K402s driven by a First Watt F1J via a Xilica sound far superior to anything I have heard ever. I am sitting here drenched in sound as I write, totally immersed, wondering why I was initially scared of going down the Xilica route. 

 

I would never consider anything else now.

 

If you can find an F1 or similar, buy a xilica and never look back. I've thrown out my CD player and exclusively use Tidal premium. 

 

Anyhow, best of luck, please take this for what it's worth 🙂

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ziggurat said:

I can't comment on the analogue systems you are talking about, but I can tell you that my K402s driven by a First Watt F1J via a Xilica sound far superior to anything I have heard ever. I am sitting here drenched in sound as I write, totally immersed, wondering why I was initially scared of going down the Xilica route. 

 

I would never consider anything else now.

 

If you can find an F1 or similar, buy a xilica and never look back. I've thrown out my CD player and exclusively use Tidal premium. 

 

Anyhow, best of luck, please take this for what it's worth 🙂

 

++ 100% and my exact journey also. And you don't have to have expensive tubes to have sound that will blow you away just a good amp will do. Remember that xilica can tailor a lot of things and I figure my $225 Crown xli800's do just fine. I don't think the less than towering improvement TADs bring to the table for the cost involved are worth it. The last 5% of possible improvement will be 90% or more of your total cost and I bet you will be thrilled forgetting about that last 5%.

 

  Save your money and learn how to use Audacity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ziggurat said:

I can't comment on the analogue systems you are talking about, but I can tell you that my K402s driven by a First Watt F1J via a Xilica sound far superior to anything I have heard ever. I am sitting here drenched in sound as I write, totally immersed, wondering why I was initially scared of going down the Xilica route...I would never consider anything else now...If you can find an F1 or similar, buy a xilica and never look back.

There are very good reasons why this is. 

 

I think a lot of folks are misled by typical "audiophile memes" that mislead those searching for the best sound--especially those bitten by the Jubilee bug.  One of those audiophile memes is "the anti-digital lie" that attempts to dissuade use of quality DSP crossovers--such as a Xilica XP or XD series.

 

Another is the idea that amplifiers must use voltage feedback instead of current feedback that the First Watt F1 and F1J uses--a so-called "transconductance" amplifier.  This type of current-controlled amplifier dramatically lowers side-band distortion (also known as modulation distortion) induced from the naturally occurring EMI returning from the loudspeakers.  The only issue is where to find one or more of these amplifiers.  They're hard to find because not many were produced. Nelson Pass ceased production at ~100 amplifiers.

 

Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...