Upgrading Hersey II’s

CuriousJim

Hello,

I have the opportunity to get some 1985 Hersey II’s for under $800.  
What will I need to do to update them to Hersey III levels without replacing everything? Can I get by with just changing the crossover and the posts on the back, or is there a lot more that I should do? Could do, I know involves replacing everything. That’s why I’m asking about should do. 
Is there much of a “Used” parts market out there or will I have to only get parts from Klipsch?
How much do you think it will cost for parts?
Do you think I’m waisting my time and should just buy new?

Anything else you can think of?

Thanks all.

JD

800 is too much to spend on speakers you plan on replacing all the parts in in my opinion with the all new Heresy IV coming out soon I'd expect to see steeply discontinued III's for sale in the very near future might want to hold out for those and buy new

• Like 1

I restored a pair of Heresy Ones recently. All I needed to do was replace the caps and oil the veneer a bit. Total cost was €40, soldering iron included!

At age 47, tweeter, squawker and woofer are still in excellent condition. 

The cost  of the Jantzen Cross caps was actually less than the postage cost, €9.95

800 dollar too beaucoup!

Put the money in an envelope, write Klipsch on it, and stick it in the top drawer. Add to it whenever you can and wait for a better deal. I think I saw a pair on Ebay (!) go for 600 recently. 

Check this forum often to see what’s going down in the Garage Sale section, “follow” it. Awesome deals flowin’ in and out of there.

By the time your envelope gets a little fatter you may have the opportunity to score a sweet deal on LaScalas, if you haven’t already bought Cornwalls, lol.

A pair of Heresy 3’s would be a sweet beginning though. 

...and welcome to an awesome forum!

• Haha 1

@CuriousJim,

Welcome to the forum.  Saw your post over at audiogon.com.

I would also say that $800.00 is a bit high for Heresy IIs but they are great speakers.  Make sure that the crossovers refresh has not already been performed before you buy more parts.

Good luck.

Bill

On 10/26/2019 at 9:11 PM, CuriousJim said:

Hello,

I have the opportunity to get some 1985 Hersey II’s for under $800.  
What will I need to do to update them to Hersey III levels without replacing everything? Can I get by with just changing the crossover and the posts on the back, or is there a lot more that I should do? Could do, I know involves replacing everything. That’s why I’m asking about should do. 
Is there much of a “Used” parts market out there or will I have to only get parts from Klipsch?
How much do you think it will cost for parts?
Do you think I’m waisting my time and should just buy new?

Anything else you can think of?

Thanks all.

JD

Bad idea to buy a set of speakers over market value and immediately want to upgrade them.  

Have you listened to them in your room?

If you buy a set of "Anything", if it isn't broken, why don't you sit down and figure out what you like and what you don't like.  Then you can develop an upgrade path should you choose to based on knowledge of how they work in your room.

This is of course you have nothing better to do with your time and money.

• Like 2

Hey all,

it’s $750 for the pair of II’s.  I’m figuring that for the cost of a couple of crossovers I’d be well on my way.  Is the newer woofer a lot different?  According to the specs it’s about the same.  And are the newer titanium drivers better?  There’s where I have no idea.  Those who have heard both, please give me some thoughts.  I’d like to replace the connectors on the back with five way posts like the three’s have.  Is that just a simple switch?

Thanks again.

JD

6 hours ago, CuriousJim said:

it’s $750 for the pair of II’s.  I’m figuring that for the cost of a couple of crossovers I’d be well on my way.

Are you certain that these Heresy IIs have not had their crossovers refreshed already?

Bill

Nothing is simple on the IIs the Is are the ones you should look for if you want to mod them. You have to access everything through the woofer on the IIs. That is way to much for Heresy II think on top of that. 

I would call Cory and see how much his IIIs are now. He has some B stock also I think. Cory is on the FB Klipsch page and is a dealer. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/123907679643#viTabs_0    These you could rebuild for far less and then veneer them.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2487953374759303/   These look in pristine condition for less.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/758643284961763/  for a little more.

I say save up for a better deal or a better speaker. 

5 minutes ago, ricktate said:

Nothing is simple on the IIs the Is are the ones you should look for if you want to mod them. You have to access everything through the woofer on the IIs. That is way to much for Heresy II think on top of that. 

I would call Cory and see how much his IIIs are now. He has some B stock also I think. Cory is on the FB Klipsch page and is a dealer. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/123907679643#viTabs_0    These you could rebuild for far less and then veneer them.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2487953374759303/   These look in pristine condition for less.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/758643284961763/  for a little more.

I say save up for a better deal or a better speaker. 

I'm with Rick. Way to much for those and if you are going to seriously mod them, like maybe make Super Heresy's in time, the I's are the ones to get. If you are going to leave them basically stock I prefer the K-55-V mid driver on the HI's but the H2's and up have a better tweeter. Personally I only get the HI's to fiddle with. If Cory had some B stock Heresy's and you want to spend that kind of money the new versions are the best of them all by a pretty big margin. I am a cheapskate though and like to fool with rebuilds.

2 hours ago, angelaudio said:

Apparently the HII used phenolic tweeters and the HIII use titanium tweeters. There doesn't seem to be any emphasis on how the affects the sound characteristics. 

I myself like the phenolic vs Ti.  The new Cornwall moved back from Ti, possibly for making a lower crossover point easier by design.  Others may like Ti.

• Like 1