Upgrading Hersey II’s

CuriousJim

2 hours ago, Frzninvt said:

Not a fan of Ti either I find them sizzly and harsh compared to phenolic or silk or other hybrid type diaphrams.

That's what I don't understand about these later lineups and the direction it's all going. The tweeters on these newer lineups are too brittle sounding IMO. I have the Heresy II's and they're absolutely beautiful, silky smooth. I wouldn't trade them for the III's if you paid me. IMO, going from the II's to the III's is a downgrade, not an upgrade. Anyway, just my two cents. 

In my opinion, the break in has little to do with it. It's common knowledge that phenolic tweeters generally have a smoother, warmer sound compared to titanium. I love Klipsch and I wouldn't want to discourage their success, but with all due respect, they have to market their heritage series so consumers like the OP are persuaded to buy them. It's human nature that unless some sort of changes are made, onlookers won't buy newer products. Even in this low res video of my Heresy II's here, you can still tell the bells ringing are crystal clear. 

55 minutes ago, seti said:

After listening to the Forte Heresy and Cornwalls a few weeks ago in Hope I don't know what ya'll are talking about. They sound great. The Heritage line future has never sounded beter.

I think that's great that you are pleased with them. Let your ears decide. 

9 hours ago, angelaudio said:

I'm actually glad others love the new Heritage series. I'm happy to see them back on the front lines and we need others to appreciate the new lines as well. :)

are you saying that you prefer the phenolic to the new titanium tweeters and mids? If you do you may be one of those people who simply has issues with ti it is a relatively small percentage of people but it is a real problem for them as they are sensitive to where ti diaphragms normally resonate.

so far as brand new speakers and capacitors go over more than thirty years of buying building and breaking in speakers have always noticed significant differences in performance before and after burn in of course YMMV as they say.

I prefer the sound of Bob’s titanium diaphragms.  I don’t find them “sizzly” or at all strident.  Perhaps younger ears (71 in less than 2 weeks) might find them too hot, but my Millennial sons seem to like them.

If someone wants the old phenolic diaphragms; $50 shipped in Crites plastic containers to 48 states.

60BF0889-D1E3-4B2B-B2E5-70B69868314F.thumb.jpeg.863836218f2c9748d4cd2e2b6239492a.jpeg

I'm not saying I necessarily dislike titanium drivers. I'm merely pointing out that I don't necessarily see it as an improvement with regard to the Heresy III. The latest Klipschorn (which is their heirloom speaker) utilizes phenolic / polyimide tweeters, so does that mean the Klipschorn is somehow inferior? The point I'm making is that it would be nice if constructive comparisons were made instead of assuming somehow the HII is inferior to the HIII as the OP seems to imply. What I've gathered in these forums are a lot of assumptions. If the Heresy III is an improvement of the HII, it would be nice to hear some constructive comparisons from others as to why, rather than just some hype others keep parroting in the forums. 

• Like 1

On 11/2/2019 at 6:19 PM, angelaudio said:

I wouldn't trade them for the III's if you paid me. IMO, going from the II's to the III's is a downgrade, not an upgrade.

Apparently you've not heard the H3 have you?  You seem to be making judgments without any experience listening to the H3, or am I missing something?

7 hours ago, moray james said:

... over more than thirty decades of buying building and breaking in speakers have always noticed significant differences in performance before and after burn in of course YMMV as they say.

Hard to argue against 300 years of experience!

• Haha 1