Wireless streaming stereo receiver for living room? Ideas?

avguytx

I'm back to trying to come up with a way for music in the living room on the reasonably priced options. I did not wire this living room for surround because we don't really care about it and I made a room upstairs for that if I was ever so inclined. I'm going to attach a picture of the living room that kind of shows what I'm working with. Most likely, I will be using a pair of a/d/s L300C speakers or Audio Pro speakers (Scandinavian company) that are both black and go along with how my wife wants to keep the living room. I did NOT want any of my gear in here other than something eventually for music. So, I wired it for a pair of small bookshelf speakers that I want to tie something into for streaming music over WiFi like with ChromeCast Audio, for instance, or something built in. There won't be any CD's played in here either. I know that I can cast Amazon Music HD and JRiver (via Gizmo app) over the ChromeCast Audio's I use upstairs and works just fine.

My plan is to put a small receiver in the cabinet to the right of the fireplace and use an IR repeater, if need be, for the remote to work the volume. I might venture in running a digital cable from the TV down to whatever is used so we can get better quality sound from the TV as we all know how great those sound on their own. When I Was a rep for Onkyo years ago, we had these awesome mini systems with speakers that sounded outstanding for what they were and had small components. But, I have nothing left of those now. I've seen where Yamaha makes a WCA-50, which is kind of cool and I could probably buy for sheet cost, but still trying to be even more reasonable if at all possible. It's mainly for background music while we're in that part of the house when we're hanging out with friends, cooking, need to hear the TV better, Christmas music, etc. I'd thought about the Klipsch Three, as well, as I can get them for cost from various dealers I know but it would have to sit on either the left or right shelves which is awkward for TV sound so it might be out. The SIxes are cool but too tall to fit.

I'd also thought about doing something with the Raspberry Pi and the small amp as an option as it could be simple for even my wife to control it.....which is a big thing....keeping it simple. Any other ideas? This was before we moved in back in late may and her decorating....which is Fall now. lol.  I have power underneath/inside both base cabinets and can put a receiver underneath either side as I ran a speaker lead from one side to another and can go up the wall on either side for the height that sounds best at.

20190303_152526-1024x576.jpg

@Schu  Although I can still buy NAD at cost, as I'm friends with the Nat'l Sales Manager, that would be way overkill for the living room....as cool as it is.  It's literally just for weekend listening in the living room at best and just for convenience.  The Yamaha WCA-50 is more the price range I was thinking...or even less...but I doubt it's possible.  I can get the Yamaha for cost, too, I believe.  If there was a Klipsch soundbar that had 2 digital inputs (for TV and casting), I'd go that route probably.  But thanks for the suggestion.  I did look at their website, too, like I do Onkyo and Integra as I was a rep for those  as well.

Oh, I dont doubt its abilities at all; it's just not important to me to have that caliber of equipment downstairs running a pair of speakers I have less than fifty bucks in. It's literally for background music at mild to mid volume and working it from a phone or tablet, along with a volume control, and is all that's needed. 

I like your idea of a powered wireless speaker like the sixes but smaller.  Maybe the R-41PM?  Stream your music via bluetooth.  most TVs can also stream to bluetooth speakers.  wife can play music from her phone...  you would have to get power to them though which may not be easy since you area already wired for traditional speakers.

NAD C338.  It's got chromecast built in and you can select any setting wirelessly via smartphone or tablet running their app, so no IR repeater needed.  It's got 3 antennae, one each for Bluetooth (inbound only) and both wifi frequencies.  It looks like a slightly large router when you can see the antennas.  I'm quite fond of mine.

2 hours ago, pbphoto said:

I like your idea of a powered wireless speaker like the sixes but smaller.  Maybe the R-41PM?  Stream your music via bluetooth.  most TVs can also stream to bluetooth speakers.  wife can play music from her phone...  you would have to get power to them though which may not be easy since you area already wired for traditional speakers.

Yeah, the R-41PM's are an option but what I'd be worried about is the rear port and that they would be pushed back to the wall as they would be on is about 10" deep, I think.  Getting the wire to the other side is no big deal, either.  With something like those, or most anything else I use, I'd probably leave one of the two spare Samsung 8" tablets tied into it all the time on BT so it would be easy for my wife to use as she doesn't care as much about the sound overall.  I'd put Pandora on it (she uses that) and Amazon Music HD for me and cast them to a CCA to the optical input for better sound.  I'll measure later today and see how they would fit on the shelves; I'd want  them fairly close to the TV, about 3 shelves up, so the sound was more coherent if the TV is tied in.

I can get power to them fairly easily, too, so that wouldn't be ruled out.  There are power outlets on both sides at the bottom level and I could add another outlet 2 shelves up for power on the speaker that needs AC to it.  

Thanks for the recommendation on those.

11 hours ago, Rivernuggets said:

That's a worthy option, too.  I need to look and see if Onkyo makes something similar to that as I know I can get Onkyo & Integra at cost or below.  Pioneer I'm not so sure about.  I don't pay retail for anything in audio/video anymore....if it's not within the "brands" I can get, I don't need it.  lol  Thanks for that recommendation!  I like that one...has ChromeCast Audio built into it as well as a LAN which I can tie into it or 5GHz WiFi.

1 hour ago, glens said:

NAD C338.  It's got chromecast built in and you can select any setting wirelessly via smartphone or tablet running their app, so no IR repeater needed.  It's got 3 antennae, one each for Bluetooth (inbound only) and both wifi frequencies.  It looks like a slightly large router when you can see the antennas.  I'm quite fond of mine.

The NAD is definitely the upper end of the scale and I can also get them at cost as I know the Nat'l Sales Mgr.  But, still more than I want to spend for the living room....which is not the main room for music.  It's almost odd saying that as it's where most people put their system, and me too for years, but now there's an upstairs room for the big stuff.  haha.  Thanks for the recommendation.  I apparently missed that one when I searched their site.  Maybe they have a B-stock that Jim can sell me.  lol.

I'm going to find out what I can get a pair of the R-41PM or R-51PM for from a couple of close by dealers I know and explore that a little bit more.  I'm not a big fan of Bluetooth connection to speakers as something has to stay fairly close to them at all times plus BT typically just won't sound as good.  I can use a ChromeCast Audio piece via Optical out to the speakers and allow the use of WiFi which will do a far better job with more bandwidth for streaming.  It will just depend on the cost pricing of them and  comparing to a separate amp with WiFi and BT.  I'd do a sound bar if  they were more reasonable and had WiFi....would keep me from having to jack with wiring behind the shelves.  lol.

Access to your music library, Pandora, Spotify, SiriusXM internet radio, Tidal and Deezer

Wi-Fi, wireless direct, Bluetooth, airplay, and musiccast multiform Audio

Yamaha R-N303BL Stereo Receiver with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth & Phono

3.8 out of 5 stars 143 ratings

| 275 answered questions

Amazon's Choice for "yamaha musiccast"

Price: $269.95 & FREE Shipping. Details

81WuNktrNIL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-R-N303BL-Stereo-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B074F246M9/ref=pd_cp_23_1/142-5808005-2108404?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B074F246M9&pd_rd_r=c767a54a-14d1-4553-80b9-d05dcd05d961&pd_rd_w=nwjfC&pd_rd_wg=xZyc7&pf_rd_p=0e5324e1-c848-4872-bbd5-5be6baedf80e&pf_rd_r=YJ6QMAJE7JSHEQDDDSEV&psc=1&refRID=YJ6QMAJE7JSHEQDDDSEV

I may even think on the Bar 40 sound bar as it has an optical input where I could tie a ChromeCast audio into it and be done.   This is literally how unimportant spending too much money in the living room is.  lol.  It's just to make the TV sound better than built in speakers and to stream some music to something....anything.  

10 hours ago, avguytx said:

That's a worthy option, too.  I need to look and see if Onkyo makes something similar to that as I know I can get Onkyo & Integra at cost or below.  Pioneer I'm not so sure about.  I don't pay retail for anything in audio/video anymore....if it's not within the "brands" I can get, I don't need it.  lol  Thanks for that recommendation!  I like that one...has ChromeCast Audio built into it as well as a LAN which I can tie into it or 5GHz WiFi.

I've had a refurbished one from here for about 3 months now, in the kitchen with a pair of KG 1s. Don't have a lot of experience with smart phone/receiver operation but the Pioneer phone app works very well, no lag at all. Good luck narrowing down the options. The hunt is fun.

22 hours ago, avguytx said:
On 10/29/2019 at 7:31 AM, glens said:

NAD C338.  It's got chromecast built in ...

The NAD is definitely the upper end of the scale and I can also get them at cost as I know the Nat'l Sales Mgr.  But, still more than I want to spend for the living room....which is not the main room for music.  It's almost odd saying that as it's where most people put their system, and me too for years, but now there's an upstairs room for the big stuff.  haha.  Thanks for the recommendation.  I apparently missed that one when I searched their site.  Maybe they have a B-stock that Jim can sell me.  lol.

It's physically diminutive compared to traditional equipment.  Not as small as some other offerings these days, but like I'd said, about the size of a larger wifi router, and that was one of the criteria I recall you mentioning.  I got mine from Crutchfield as a fully-warrantied factory refurb for a tidy savings over (rather, under) list.  Cheaper than the 328 list.

I still think if you can get one at the savings you claim, that it would be the best, most functional and quality, you could do for the task.  But I'll not beat you over the head if you don't.  It's your money.

47 minutes ago, eq_shadimar said:

Have you considered using Sonos products or something similar?

I've looked at them but for what this is, it's kind of overkill.  I'm being a cheapskate in the living room as it's not near important....just for occasional tunes as the TV sounds like crud playing music as to the phones.