Build a 4.1 with RP 8000 or replace the RP 160s with the Heresy (+sub)?

Man in the Box

I’ve posted on this forum before (see link below) and was humbled with the generous support and guidance that I had received from the community. I thought about the feedback and made a decision to buy the excellent SVS SB 2000.

The sub has improved the sound — though perhaps a bit too much, because it can make the RP 160s sound even smaller. I’m afraid I can’t accurately describe what I’m chasing in audiophile terms. More satisfying mids? Bigger soundstage? More instrument separation? What I do know is that when I demoed the 8000s (right after the still slightly underwhelming RP 260s) and was finally satisfied. 

Adding a couple of towers to the system would crowd my 13 x 13 x 10 bedroom, but I like music more than I do my physical space. Besides, I may move down the line. What’s troubling me is another thought: why not stretch the budget a bit for the fabled Heresy if I’m going to pay full retail prices for the 8000s? The caveat is that the Heresy isn’t available for auditioning in my city, nor is used gear a realistic option here.

I could end up building a 5.1 with the 8000s, even. But the promise of the big horn mid range driver on the Heresy makes me hesitate

Would love to hear your thoughts.

PS: my media consumption is 70/30 in favor of music (mostly jazz and classical). The source of my music is entirely digital. 

Edited by Man in the Box

17 hours ago, Man in the Box said:

I’ve posted on this forum before (see link below) and was humbled with the generous support and guidance that I had received from the community. I thought about the feedback and made a decision to buy the excellent SVS SB 2000.

The sub has improved the sound — though perhaps a bit too much, because it can make the RP 160s sound even smaller. I’m afraid I can’t accurately describe what I’m chasing in audiophile terms. More satisfying mids? Bigger soundstage? More instrument separation? What I do know is that when I demoed the 8000s (right after the still slightly underwhelming RP 260s) and was finally satisfied. 

Adding a couple of towers to the system would crowd my 13 x 13 x 10 bedroom, but I like music more than I do my physical space. Besides, I may move down the line. What’s troubling me is another thought: why not stretch the budget a bit for the fabled Heresy if I’m going to pay full retail prices for the 8000s? The caveat is that the Heresy isn’t available for auditioning in my city, nor is used gear a realistic option here.

I could end up building a 5.1 with the 8000s, even. But the promise of the big horn mid range driver on the Heresy makes me hesitate

PS: my media consumption is 70/30 in favor of music (mostly jazz and classical). The source of my music is entirely digital. 

Forget the promise of a big midrange driver.  Do you like the presentation of a two way vs a 3 way and have heard Heresys?  The Heresys will sound bigger, particularly with a sub and will present a bit more of a live sound.  You will need to decide if that live sound would be for you or not.

24 minutes ago, pzannucci said:

Forget the promise of a big midrange driver.  Do you like the presentation of a two way vs a 3 way and have heard Heresys?  The Heresys will sound bigger, particularly with a sub and will present a bit more of a live sound.  You will need to decide if that live sound would be for you or not.

I honestly don’t have enough experience with audiophile speakers to know whether I’d prefer a two or three way speaker. I haven’t heard the Heresys. 

What do you mean by “live sound”? As in a live performance versus a studio recording?

59 minutes ago, Man in the Box said:

I honestly don’t have enough experience with audiophile speakers to know whether I’d prefer a two or three way speaker. I haven’t heard the Heresys. 

What do you mean by “live sound”? As in a live performance versus a studio recording?

More presence, vocals will be more out front.  I would think much nicer with your musical preferences.  

The 8000s are not bad but you will get more with Heresys if you like the balance.

9 minutes ago, pzannucci said:

More presence, vocals will be more out front.  I would think much nicer with your musical preferences.  

The 8000s are not bad but you will get more with Heresys if you like the balance.

Sounds to me like they’re great speakers for rock, pop and other vocals-centric music. That may or may not be a good thing, considering the material I listen to. 

The issue here is that they’re available to demo where I am. From what I understand from you, it seems like it may be a risk to buy online because there’s a chance that I may prefer the RP sound after all. Could be the other way around too. Guess I’ll never know which unless I hear them myself. 

2 minutes ago, Man in the Box said:

Sounds to me like they’re great speakers for rock, pop and other vocals-centric music. That may or may not be a good thing, considering the material I listen to. 

The issue here is that they’re available to demo where I am. From what I understand from you, it seems like it may be a risk to buy online because there’s a chance that I may prefer the RP sound after all. Could be the other way around too. Guess I’ll never know which unless I hear them myself. 

Vocals-centric, no but has an advantage.  If you listen to sax, horns, and good strings, it makes quite a difference.